• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public high school banning class of 2008 from parking on campus legal or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heretostay

not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes,
Hello i am a student at a high school in california, monterey county area. My school has recently paved the parking lot and it has been vandalized quite a bit, as well as the school, mostly by spray paints. The principle has threatened to ban the senior class of 2008 from driving to school unless the guilty person were to be apprehended. We were all forced to sign paperwork which stated the parking regulations, no where on the paperwork does it mention anything even close to pertaining to something like this. something smells wrong about this and i would appreciate any enlightenment on this, thank you.

Just Blue

not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes,
Hello i am a student at a high school in california, monterey county area. My school has recently paved the parking lot and it has been vandalized quite a bit, as well as the school, mostly by spray paints. The principle has threatened to ban the senior class of 2008 from driving to school unless the guilty person were to be apprehended. We were all forced to sign paperwork which stated the parking regulations, no where on the paperwork does it mention anything even close to pertaining to something like this. something smells wrong about this and i would appreciate any enlightenment on this, thank you.
What "smells wrong" is a school, so besieged by vandalism, that it would have to go to these lengths to try and prevent it!

heretostay

yes but it is government property and it is public, hence public school and not letting one group of people not allowed to park on school property but allowing other and basing on merely a suspicion could that be considered discrimination or something?

CourtClerk

not at all. As a matter of fact... from my screenname you can probably guess I also work for a government agency. We have a parking lot for the judges and law enforcement, one for court staff... but none for the public. They have to use paid, private parking agencies (you know...those that cost an arm and a leg) to park their cars or metered parking on the street. The school isn't saying that only men can park (or conversely only women) or only black people or only white people, or gay people can't park... (those are examples of protected classes)

A high school senior (last I checked) isn't a protected class. Thank your classmates for ruining what was probably a good thing.

heretostay

and our school doesnt really have that much vandalism, in the past seniors used to be able to paint their parking spot and with the new paving of the lot the school banned it

CourtClerk

I can also think of a courthouse that had parking and charged the public for parking and the employees of the building were let in free.... discriminatory? yes. against the law? no.

heretostay

i wouldnt really care if there was parking outside of the school but there is asolutely none, our school is in the middle of nowhere and banning our class would mean well way to get to school except for the bus...

CourtClerk

Then I guess it's the bus for you guys. Don't worry, I never got to drive to school. The bus suited me just fine (I didn't have a choice, my parent's weren't allowing me to have a car in high school). You guys will be fine.

Just Blue

i wouldnt really care if there was parking outside of the school but there is asolutely none, our school is in the middle of nowhere and banning our class would mean well way to get to school except for the bus...
Perhaps the money they save by not having to fix the damage your class is causing, will better educate the next group of Seniors. They will no the difference between public property and something built with public funds.

heretostay

well thank you all for the help, i was kinda hoping to get some info to slap in the face of our principle but guess ill be taking autobody and welding all year so i can "work on my car" and have a place to park.

CourtClerk

well thank you all for the help, i was kinda hoping to get some info to slap in the face of our principle but guess ill be taking autobody and welding all year so i can "work on my car" and have a place to park.
They're ya go! Now there's a way to think outside the box! :)

heretostay

wait heres the thing they cant prove it was our class they are just assuming because we used to be able to paint up the parking lot.

heretostay

one more thing to add, the school allowed students to buy there parking spot for the first time ever, i bought mine cause i hate scouting for parking would the school be obligated to return that money?

CourtClerk

They don't have to prove anything. Again, there is nothing in the law that says they HAVE to provide parking for you guys. Nothing at all. They can decide that they just don't want students parking in the lot anymore. Just because they want to build a new garden, use it as an adult skate park or sit and watch the weeds grow through the pavement.

They don't have to provide parking. Period. Point blank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">