• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Punched at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I am at a loss on what I can do. I'm hoping someone here might have some words of wisdom.

A few months ago my daughter was punched in the back by a boy at school. She's 16, the boy is either 16 or 17. Bad bruising, nothing broken. Reported it to the school. School administrators interviewed my daughter, the boy and some other kids. Other kids said they didn't see anything. Boy said he was just patting her on the back. Boy was told to stay away from my daughter.

Fast forward to this week. Daughter was walking out of school and same boy pushes her from behind. Jars her back in the same spot that he punched her, took my daughter to the dr, they put her on pain killers and muscle relaxers because she can barely stand up straight. Again, call school to complain. School interviews my daughter and boy again (no witnesses because my daughter didn't see who was behind her). Boy says he got pushed from behind and he fell into her. School administration (principal and vice principal) say that it was an accident and they have told the boy to stay away from my daughter and to exit out another door to get to his bus. They said that after reviewing both children's school records that they believe the boy when he says they were accidents. I said, so my daughter has been assaulted twice in the 5 months she has attended your school and you are going to tell me they were accidents. The principal said that he didn't agree that they were assaults.

This kid has picked on my daughter since she started school there. Poking, "tripping" over her leg aka kicking her, running into her in the hallways; accidentally of course. My daughter is the shy/quiet type that will not stand up for herself, in other words the kind of kid that bullies thrive upon.

Any ideas on how to deal with the school and get them to take this seriously?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am at a loss on what I can do. I'm hoping someone here might have some words of wisdom.

A few months ago my daughter was punched in the back by a boy at school. She's 16, the boy is either 16 or 17. Bad bruising, nothing broken. Reported it to the school. School administrators interviewed my daughter, the boy and some other kids. Other kids said they didn't see anything. Boy said he was just patting her on the back. Boy was told to stay away from my daughter.

Fast forward to this week. Daughter was walking out of school and same boy pushes her from behind. Jars her back in the same spot that he punched her, took my daughter to the dr, they put her on pain killers and muscle relaxers because she can barely stand up straight. Again, call school to complain. School interviews my daughter and boy again (no witnesses because my daughter didn't see who was behind her). Boy says he got pushed from behind and he fell into her. School administration (principal and vice principal) say that it was an accident and they have told the boy to stay away from my daughter and to exit out another door to get to his bus. They said that after reviewing both children's school records that they believe the boy when he says they were accidents. I said, so my daughter has been assaulted twice in the 5 months she has attended your school and you are going to tell me they were accidents. The principal said that he didn't agree that they were assaults.

This kid has picked on my daughter since she started school there. Poking, "tripping" over her leg aka kicking her, running into her in the hallways; accidentally of course. My daughter is the shy/quiet type that will not stand up for herself, in other words the kind of kid that bullies thrive upon.

Call the police to report the assault.

Just Blue

Why did you not report this to the police? :confused:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Schools like to keep things like this quiet.

Report such incidents to the police.

Frankly, I am surprised they aren't looking at security footage - at my kid's school they've been informed that cameras are everywhere (very 1984). Teacher informed the kids he'd be staying late to go over footage of yesterday's class to see who played a prank on one student (moving property from one desk to another).

You don't have enough evidence of anything to sue the school.

But it is time to look for educational alternatives for your daughter.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Start by reporting incidents to the police. And get your daughter into a self-defense class. Not necessarily to do anything physically the next time (although that would probably make it the last time), but to give her some self-confidence to tell him to knock it off. Bullies avoid the self-confident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">