• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reading help for 10th grader on 4th grade reading help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

upxb

What is the name of your state? Texas
I need your help for my 10th grader on 4th grade reading level. The reason for his delay in reading is because he had a speech problem. When the other kids were learning to read, he was learning to talk. His speech is PERFECT now. Friendswood School refuses to give him reading help with measurable goals and objectives. I had my son tested at Scottish Rite Hospital and they recommended specific reading help. My son tries harder than any person I know. He is NOT a discipline problem and does exactly what he is told. He often stays up until 2:00 a.m. doing homework because he is on 4th grade reading level. He makes B's in regular classes because they give him oral test and books on tape. They refuse to help him learn to read. I have been trying for 3 years and have gotten zero reading help. I got him qualified as Special Education and still zero reading help. The school knows they are in the wrong. 1) My son is in special education under other health imparied as his speech is fine now after 10 years. Both FISD and Scottish Rite has him at 4th grade reading level.

Question:
He is already labeled as Special Ed, but do I have to get him labeled as a learning disability in reading in order to get a reading IEP? If I do, shouldn't the 4th grade level be enought support to make that happen especially with Chapter 89, 1040(9)(B).

His reading problem is a result of his delayed speech which is now fine and his complications at birth.

rmet4nzkx

upxb said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I need your help for my 10th grader on 4th grade reading level. The reason for his delay in reading is because he had a speech problem. When the other kids were learning to read, he was learning to talk. His speech is PERFECT now. Friendswood School refuses to give him reading help with measurable goals and objectives. I had my son tested at Scottish Rite Hospital and they recommended specific reading help. My son tries harder than any person I know. He is NOT a discipline problem and does exactly what he is told. He often stays up until 2:00 a.m. doing homework because he is on 4th grade reading level. He makes B's in regular classes because they give him oral test and books on tape. They refuse to help him learn to read. I have been trying for 3 years and have gotten zero reading help. I got him qualified as Special Education and still zero reading help. The school knows they are in the wrong. 1) My son is in special education under other health imparied as his speech is fine now after 10 years. Both FISD and Scottish Rite has him at 4th grade reading level.

Question:
He is already labeled as Special Ed, but do I have to get him labeled as a learning disability in reading in order to get a reading IEP? If I do, shouldn't the 4th grade level be enought support to make that happen especially with Chapter 89, 1040(9)(B).

His reading problem is a result of his delayed speech which is now fine and his complications at birth.
Are you working with your state department of developmental disabilities? If the school is providing books an tape etc, they are accommodating his disability and if he is reading at 4th grade level that is pretty much at the level most things are written. In time with practice and interest, he will improve. The school can test him for learing disabilities, has he been asscess for hearing impairments? Speach and verbal abilities are not always associated unless there is a hearing impairment then there is usually a delay. Is he in Special Ed classes? What are his FSIQ, PIQ & VIQ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">