• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of a 18 year old in public school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnnD

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a 18 year old senior and have been 18 before even registering for my senior year. The school has been dening that I have the right to sign myself in and out of school without my parents permision, they will not deal with me on issues regarding my schedual without geting "guardian" signatures from my parents. Today when I tried to sign out without a parent note to go to the doctor they said they must have my parents permision. I told them that I am 18 and that I have legal rights, they said that the education rules of the state and school district precied the legal rights of the national and state goverments. They have also been talking with my parents behind my back and misinforming them actualy lying to them. My parents do not care if I take care of my own schooling in fact its eaiser for them that way. I do not live on my own, primarly because I live in a very expensive school district and would not be able to pay the rent at any of the apartments in my school district, and would like to graduate with my friends. This is the main reason they wont let me do anything on my own. I just want to know ARE THEY BREAKING MY LEGAL RIGHTS AS AN ADULT TO TAKE CARE OF SIGNING MY LEGAL DOCUMENTS i feel what they are doing is inapropriet. Anyone that can help I would appreciate it.

Happy Trails

JohnnD said:

I am a 18 year old senior and have been 18 before even registering for my senior year. The school has been dening that I have the right to sign myself in and out of school without my parents permision, they will not deal with me on issues regarding my schedual without geting "guardian" signatures from my parents. Today when I tried to sign out without a parent note to go to the doctor they said they must have my parents permision. I told them that I am 18 and that I have legal rights, they said that the education rules of the state and school district precied the legal rights of the national and state goverments. They have also been talking with my parents behind my back and misinforming them actualy lying to them. My parents do not care if I take care of my own schooling in fact its eaiser for them that way. I do not live on my own, primarly because I live in a very expensive school district and would not be able to pay the rent at any of the apartments in my school district, and would like to graduate with my friends. This is the main reason they wont let me do anything on my own. I just want to know ARE THEY BREAKING MY LEGAL RIGHTS AS AN ADULT TO TAKE CARE OF SIGNING MY LEGAL DOCUMENTS i feel what they are doing is inapropriet. Anyone that can help I would appreciate it.
**The only thing you should be signing yourself out for is English classes.

HomeGuru

JohnnD said:

**A: get with the program! You have no rights to sign yourself out of school no matter how old you are. You are under the jurisdiction of your parents and the school is 100% correct. Stop your crying and graduate. After you have your high shool diploma then you can do whatever you want as long as you live on your own and pay for your own rent, food, gas, insurance..........

J

JohnnD

Texas
I do pay for my own gas, insurance, food, and have offered to pay rent I understand I live with my parents and this is my set back this is only as I said before because I want to graduate at my current school.

JETX

JohnnD said:
ARE THEY BREAKING MY LEGAL RIGHTS AS AN ADULT TO TAKE CARE OF SIGNING MY LEGAL DOCUMENTS
Though it is abundantly clear that you need your education, the school does appear to be in the wrong on this one.

The Texas Education Code, defines a parent as:
"§ 26.002. DEFINITION. In this chapter, "parent" includes a person standing in parental relation. The term does not include a person as to whom the parent-child relationship has been terminated or a person not entitled to possession of or access to a child under a court order. Except as provided by federal law, all rights of a parent under Title 2 of this code and all educational rights under Section 151.003(a)(10), Family Code, shall be exercised by a student who is 18 years of age or older or whose disabilities of minority have been removed for general purposes under Chapter 31, Family Code, unless the student has been determined to be incompetent or the student's rights have been otherwise restricted by a court order."
Source: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/ed.toc.htm

However, the Code also does not discuss the issue of leaving school property during the class day and leaves that up to school policy. If your schools policy says that a student can be dismissed with a parents permission, then you would qualify under state law as a parent. If it stipulates some other obligation or requirement, you may or may not qualify. Such as shown in the Code for excused absences:
§ 25.087. EXCUSED ABSENCES. (a) A person required to attend school, including a person required to attend school under Section 25.085(e), may be excused for temporary absence resulting from any cause acceptable to the teacher, principal, or superintendent of the school in which the person is enrolled.

Last edited:
J

JohnnD

I appreciate the help and yes i know I am a horrible speller and writer.

HomeGuru

JohnnD said:
I appreciate the help and yes i know I am a horrible speller and writer.
**A: then you had better stay back a year or 2 and get up to par. That's ok if you graduate when your'e 21. At least then you can drink at your graduation party.

J

JohnnD

to homeguru

Homeguru i have seen the other posts that you put out there and im sure your a very inteligent person, but people that are looking for help are not looking for your sarcasim (or whatever you call your belitlement). I just wanted to say this because Im sure others have thought it and just not said it.

CdwJava

While I am not familiar with the specific laws in TX on this matter, it is very likely that your state's compulsory education laws make your parents responsible for your education until such time as they choose to release you from that requirement.

Ask at the school if there is a document that you and your parents can sign that will permit you to be responsible and NOT your parents. It may be that there is NOT a choice in the matter as long as you live at home.

- Carl

Happy Trails

I agree with Carl. I was 18 my senior year and was able to write my own notes and they were accepted. But they also were aware my parents gave me the permission to do so.
Be sure you don't abuse it though. Sometimes the school will say things that may not always be fact. Do your homework and make sure they aren't just giving you the run around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">