• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to Protection from being Bullied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurelmt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The state we live in is Pennsylvania, Westmoreland County.

My 16 year old Daughter has requested the principal to look into a matter that has been going on all year. She just did this recently. She was attempting to not make the situation worse and tried to avoid it. Now that she has spoken to the Principal the situation has gotten worse.
It is now affecting her grades and the fact that she won't ride the school bus because of the additional people that this boy has gotten involved. I should note that my daughter does have a weight problem, but up until recently was in the National Tech Honor Society as well as being in the top 10% of her class. Her grades are slipping and she is now ill all the time...Either real or otherwise. Having spoken to the school and gotten no results what do we do now.
Police for Harassment Charges...We are giving the School Admin on more try, but after that what do we do.
Thank you for any direction or insight you can provide

laurelmt

By bullied I can only give you what she has stated to me. Name Calling is the least of it. One child and his friends throw food and other items at lunch. Just found this out today. They throw it from one table to another. They have done the pushing and shoving. Apparently my daughters tormentor is the ring leader. She has reported this going back to the end of last school year. Two times to the principal and once to the Senior Shop area teacher. The last time 2 weeks ago with the principal again and it has now gotten worse. Then the incident today with one of the girls getting covered in gravy and applesauce during lunch. My daughter told the "new" assistant principal that if it is not solved she is calling the police. He told her that it was not necessary.
I hope this give you an idea of they type of things going on.

tranquility

The police will likely refer such things to the administration. You need to convince the administration you are right, or start working on removing the administration by complaints to the school board or by winning elections. Go to the police if you'd like, but it is not going to make anyone more popular nor do I think it will reduce such acts.

I'mTheFather

I have a little different view on this. I think you should go to the principal first and let him know this behavior is unacceptable to you. If you aren't satisfied with the principal's response, go to the district superintendent. If that doesn't help, go to the school board. If you know any of the parents of the other affected students, enlist their help.

I would also visit the police. It may be true that they will turn it over to the administration. It's also possible that they will pay a visit to the administrators.

At any rate, ignoring the bullying won't make it stop, nor will it make your daughter more popular. At this point, I doubt that is her concern.

With all the news stories about bullied students driven to desperate extremes, I wouldn't wait for it to get better. Be your daughter's advocate.

Good luck.

laurelmt

Update on Bullied

First thank you for your views. When I was asking I was disappointed in the schools actions on the situation to this point. My Daughter has spoken to the Principal on 3 previous occasions.

This morning however I made a personal visit to the high school. Rather than going in with guns blazing, I did have a copy of all (over 300 pages) of the school and board directives and operational guides on students and these types of issues.

The Vice Principal, who is in charge of all investigations and discipline met with my daughter and I. She was able to fully explain the situations (of which this man is aware of some, and I might add is new this year in this position - However has been in the district for over 20 years)

He has started the formal investigative and report process. I have decided to give this man the opportunity to work through the FULL administrative process this time, at his request. He was just brought into the loop on this group and it is a group... and it is a concern for the school.

However, my next steps will be as you have recommended by going to the superintendent and the board next. We will, at the Vice Principals suggestion, involve the local PD at a later date should this continue to be an issue on an out of school basis. He however wants the documentation to provide to them about his full investigation at that time.

It does seem that we are on the right track finally after a year and a half of my daughter trying on her own.

Once again thank you for your input to this point.

Humusluvr

First thank you for your views. When I was asking I was disappointed in the schools actions on the situation to this point. My Daughter has spoken to the Principal on 3 previous occasions.

This morning however I made a personal visit to the high school. Rather than going in with guns blazing, I did have a copy of all (over 300 pages) of the school and board directives and operational guides on students and these types of issues.

The Vice Principal, who is in charge of all investigations and discipline met with my daughter and I. She was able to fully explain the situations (of which this man is aware of some, and I might add is new this year in this position - However has been in the district for over 20 years)

He has started the formal investigative and report process. I have decided to give this man the opportunity to work through the FULL administrative process this time, at his request. He was just brought into the loop on this group and it is a group... and it is a concern for the school.

However, my next steps will be as you have recommended by going to the superintendent and the board next. We will, at the Vice Principals suggestion, involve the local PD at a later date should this continue to be an issue on an out of school basis. He however wants the documentation to provide to them about his full investigation at that time.

It does seem that we are on the right track finally after a year and a half of my daughter trying on her own.

Get your daughter into counseling ASAP. Like now. Bullying is something that is very personal and can be very destructive to teens. If the school isn't handling it fast enough for you, at least give your daughter the counseling she needs to deal with it herself. A counselor would have the tactics needed to deal with bullying that you may not be able to share with your child.

Has she seen the school counselors?

I hope your daughter can get the support she needs. Often, kids suffer in silence, or try to deal with it on their own. It's great she has a supportive parent(s), and hopefully the admin will step up. They are legally required to investigate, and take steps to stop the bullying.

csi7

I agree with Silverplum to obtain counseling, to include cognitive behavior therapy treatment to help her regain her confidence from these vicious personal attacks.
Excellent work with the vice principal, using facts, statements, policies, and information gained through communication to give the school an objective chance to investigate, discipline, and organize a team effort to break the offending actions.
Cognitive behavior therapy treatment will give your daughter the opportunity to explore her pattern of thinking and choose outcomes removing certain factors, so she can be more effective at turning the action back onto the bullies.
It is great that she has parental support at home. Best wishes!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

This sounds like Norwin School District. Quite frankly that school district does NOT have a good handle on things when it comes to bullying. As for documentation -- it is not up to your daughter to do that. Tell the principal if he does NOT do something to stop the bullying, you will go to the superintendent and enlist legal counsel. Then do it. You might also try to contact the Tribune Review or Post Gazette and tell them what is going on.

I'mTheFather

This sounds like Norwin School District. Quite frankly that school district does NOT have a good handle on things when it comes to bullying. As for documentation -- it is not up to your daughter to do that. Tell the principal if he does NOT do something to stop the bullying, you will go to the superintendent and enlist legal counsel. Then do it. You might also try to contact the Tribune Review or Post Gazette and tell them what is going on.
Regarding the bolded, I understood OP to mean that the vice principal intends to conduct an investigation, and doesn't want OP to contact the police until he has the documentation from that investigation. Seems fair enough, I suppose, but I would still have a conversation with an officer, especially since you say this is happening outside of school too.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Regarding the bolded, I understood OP to mean that the vice principal intends to conduct an investigation, and doesn't want OP to contact the police until he has the documentation from that investigation. Seems fair enough, I suppose, but I would still have a conversation with an officer, especially since you say this is happening outside of school too.
That could be, and I agree with you. Mom or dad could still file a complaint with the police department.

bryanbush30

Your best bet is

File a protection order against the bullies with the police. With the P.O the school and admin has to follow it or they risk other legal actions. This has worked for me.

davidmcbeth3

Regarding the bolded, I understood OP to mean that the vice principal intends to conduct an investigation, and doesn't want OP to contact the police until he has the documentation from that investigation. .
The school is not the proper party to be doing an investigation. The police are.

There are already enough laws on the books to solve this issue ... we don't additional laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">