• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RIT, social website harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skymelody

Ok, my friend just told me this, and i was pissed just to hear about it. His ex-gf is in another state, himself is in NY, both attending colleges. He and his ex-gf had some issues, and they was "fightingg" over a chinese social website, its like twitter, he was @ her and writing some insults. And that girl screenshotted those words and sent it to his school, saying that he harassed her. Now the school sent him e-mails, he is worried that he might have to get lawyer or kicked out from RIT, personally i think its no big deal, i mean for god's sake, u insulted someone on a foreign social website, two of them are not even in the same state, she doesnt even have a greencard, not saying that she doesnt have the rights, but still. But he is worried, i am not sure either, i mean anyone know that is this a big deal that he needs a lawyer or what. And btw, he only wrote the stuff for a day, its not like a long term thing. This is the letter RIT sent him:
The Center for Student Conduct has received Incident Report# 2012-26 dated 10/7/2011. The report alleges that you harassed XXXXXX on a social website. Given what has been documented in the report, there are allegations that you may have violated the following components of the RIT Conduct Code as listed in the RIT Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook 2011-12(RIT SR&R Handbook):
Harassment
(Section B, #4, page 6 of the RIT SR&R Handbook, 2011-12)
Off Campus Behavior
(Section B, #9, page 6 of the RIT SR&R Handbook, 2011-12)
In order to resolve this matter, you will need to contact the Center for Student Conduct by no later than October 21, 2011 to make an appointment for a formal conduct hearing. A formal conduct hearing is an opportunity for you to discuss the incident with a member of our staff. A decision is then rendered regarding your involvement in the incident.
Given the nature of these allegations, the following restrictions are in place until your
conduct hearing has been completed:
1. You are to have No Contact with XXXXX by any means.
If you do not comply with these restrictions, you will be placed on an interim suspension from RIT until your conduct hearing has been completed.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Ok, my friend just told me this, and i was pissed just to hear about it. His ex-gf is in another state, himself is in NY, both attending colleges. He and his ex-gf had some issues, and they was "fightingg" over a chinese social website, its like twitter, he was @ her and writing some insults. And that girl screenshotted those words and sent it to his school, saying that he harassed her. Now the school sent him e-mails, he is worried that he might have to get lawyer or kicked out from RIT, personally i think its no big deal, i mean for god's sake, u insulted someone on a foreign social website, two of them are not even in the same state, she doesnt even have a greencard, not saying that she doesnt have the rights, but still. But he is worried, i am not sure either, i mean anyone know that is this a big deal that he needs a lawyer or what. And btw, he only wrote the stuff for a day, its not like a long term thing. This is the letter RIT sent him:
The Center for Student Conduct has received Incident Report# 2012-26 dated 10/7/2011. The report alleges that you harassed XXXXXX on a social website. Given what has been documented in the report, there are allegations that you may have violated the following components of the RIT Conduct Code as listed in the RIT Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook 2011-12(RIT SR&R Handbook):
Harassment
(Section B, #4, page 6 of the RIT SR&R Handbook, 2011-12)
Off Campus Behavior
(Section B, #9, page 6 of the RIT SR&R Handbook, 2011-12)
In order to resolve this matter, you will need to contact the Center for Student Conduct by no later than October 21, 2011 to make an appointment for a formal conduct hearing. A formal conduct hearing is an opportunity for you to discuss the incident with a member of our staff. A decision is then rendered regarding your involvement in the incident.
Given the nature of these allegations, the following restrictions are in place until your
conduct hearing has been completed:
1. You are to have No Contact with XXXXXXXX by any means.
If you do not comply with these restrictions, you will be placed on an interim suspension from RIT until your conduct hearing has been completed.

It's best that your friend signs up himself.

And you remove real names from your post.

This isn't your legal matter, I'm afraid.

skymelody

It's best that your friend signs up himself.

And you remove real names from your post.

This isn't your legal matter, I'm afraid.
His english is not that great, i am afraid that he can not clearly explains the situation for you guys. If i post real names, i am afraid that i would be accused of something, i just want to know if this is a serious matter, if it is, i will tell him to get a lawyer. But again, personally,i think if he only did it for a day, i dont think it counts for anything, i mean seriously you can not even say something in the U.S over the internet for a day? that is worse than the communism.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
His english is not that great, i am afraid that he can not clearly explains the situation for you guys. If i post real names, i am afraid that i would be accused of something, i just want to know if this is a serious matter, if it is, i will tell him to get a lawyer. But again, personally,i think if he only did it for a day, i dont think it counts for anything, i mean seriously you can not even say something in the U.S over the internet for a day? that is worse than the communism.
You;re not exactly the Great Communicator, yourself... So I'd suggest he actually try to address his situation himself. It really is none of your business.

Mass_Shyster

It sounds like his actions may, in fact, be in violation of the college's off-campus behavior policy.

The college is free to create any policy they choose, as long as it is not prohibited by law.

Unless the policy restricts bad behavior to US social media websites, the fact that the website is in china is irrelevant.

Unless the policy only restricts bad behavior towards US citizens and green card holders, the immigration status of the other party is irrelevant.

Humusluvr

Harassing someone counts the SECOND the person writes it. If she captured a screenshot, then it's captured forever. That's the thing about the internet. No, you can't say things for even ONE DAY.

Did he do this on the school's computer or network? If he used the school's internet connection to make these posts, and the school will have a log of this, then yes, he should get a lawyer.

skymelody

Harassing someone counts the SECOND the person writes it. If she captured a screenshot, then it's captured forever. That's the thing about the internet. No, you can't say things for even ONE DAY.

Did he do this on the school's computer or network? If he used the school's internet connection to make these posts, and the school will have a log of this, then yes, he should get a lawyer.
huh? We were allowed to say" i am going to kill u" in school, and u cant harass someone on the internet for maybe a hour? where is the freedom of speech? I am not going to tell him to get a lawyer, because that is bs, u dont like my posts on internet? block me, delete me, ingore me. Hell, i cant insult someone i dont like? if that is a crime, then, we r all fked.

Humusluvr

huh? We were allowed to say" i am going to kill u" in school, and u cant harass someone on the internet for maybe a hour? where is the freedom of speech? I am not going to tell him to get a lawyer, because that is bs, u dont like my posts on internet? block me, delete me, ingore me. Hell, i cant insult someone i dont like? if that is a crime, then, we r all fked.
You are seriously messed up if

1. You threatened to kill people when you were in school.
2. You are threatening people on social websites at all.
3. You think "blocking" is the answer to a death threat.

Telling someone they are ugly is "blockable." Threatening death is CRIMINAL. You are correct, except not all of us are "f***ed." People who make criminal threats are.

Tell your friend to get a lawyer if he made criminal threats on the school's internet. Even if you aren't from this country, you know what you are doing is wrong, so cut it out.

Isis1

i can tell you didn't do well in english OR government. freedom of speech is NOT what you think it is. read the whole ammendment. i double dog dare you!

skymelody

You are seriously messed up if

1. You threatened to kill people when you were in school.
2. You are threatening people on social websites at all.
3. You think "blocking" is the answer to a death threat.

Telling someone they are ugly is "blockable." Threatening death is CRIMINAL. You are correct, except not all of us are "f***ed." People who make criminal threats are.

Tell your friend to get a lawyer if he made criminal threats on the school's internet. Even if you aren't from this country, you know what you are doing is wrong, so cut it out.

well, he harassed her, like telling her that she was SOB and such, nobody threatened her. I understand threatening is whole different level. The school told him that if he want to get a lawyer at this moment, the lawyer can only be an advisor. BTW, he did it on his own computer, but i dont think it matters.

Proserpina

well, he harassed her, like telling her that she was SOB and such, nobody threatened her. I understand threatening is whole different level. The school told him that if he want to get a lawyer at this moment, the lawyer can only be an advisor. BTW, he did it on his own computer, but i dont think it matters.

I don't think you have the vaguest clue about what actually happened.

Humusluvr

Even if he did it from his personal computer, if he did it while connected to the school's internet, he has a problem.

skymelody

Even if he did it from his personal computer, if he did it while connected to the school's internet, he has a problem.
he did it at home. But I dont think it matters ? I mean what is the difference of harassing someone from own internet and from school 's internet? After all, his ex took a screen shot alrerady. If it is illegal, then it should be illegal from either case.

I saw the posts on the website when he posted it, its like another version of twitter. but I did not pay attention to them, all I knew was that they were fighting. I never expect that his ex would do stuff like this.

Last edited:

Humusluvr

he did it at home. But I dont think it matters ? I mean what is the difference of harassing someone from own internet and from school 's internet? After all, his ex took a screen shot alrerady. If it is illegal, then it should be illegal from either case.

I saw the posts on the website when he posted it, its like another version of twitter. but I did not pay attention to them, all I knew was that they were fighting. I never expect that his ex would do stuff like this.
If he HAD done it from a school computer, it would compound his problems.

And SHE probably never thought she would be attacked as she was. People have a recourse in the law, which should make your friend THINK before he goes trying to hurt someone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">