• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salli Mae loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serena43

Alabama

I enrolled online to Art Institute in early 2000. Let me state here that I was born with SB and was in a chair. I was married so I could pay back on the loan. I was in class for about 3 months and noticed I was having trouble using my hands so I couldn't do the course but forgot to drop class. In 2009 my husband passed away and lost all assets I had this was my fault I know that. But as of now I am bedridden with collections from Sallie Mae of $5000.00. I am wondering if this could be resolved with a doctor writing a letter on my behalf of myself?

FlyingRon

Can you draw Binky?

Unfortunately you were scammed by one of the bigger ones in the commercial ed business. You're not going to escape the annoyance easily I'm afraid.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Alabama

I enrolled online to Art Institute in early 2000. Let me state here that I was born with SB and was in a chair. I was married so I could pay back on the loan. I was in class for about 3 months and noticed I was having trouble using my hands so I couldn't do the course but forgot to drop class. In 2009 my husband passed away and lost all assets I had this was my fault I know that. But as of now I am bedridden with collections from Sallie Mae of $5000.00. I am wondering if this could be resolved with a doctor writing a letter on my behalf of myself?
No. A doctor cannot write a letter on behalf of you in order to get you out of your legal obligations.

quincy

Not that this can help you now, serena43, but there is tuition refund insurance available for those who enter college on loans. For those with disabilities like spina bifida, who are unsure if they will be able to finish out their studies, it can be a smart investment.

That said, and as Ohiogal states, a doctor's note cannot help you with your loan obligation.

And, as FlyingRon mentioned, there is a problem with the Art Institutes.

These for-profit schools have had all sorts of legal issues in the past, with some centering on the financial aid packages for students. There are currently several lawsuits filed against these schools, and states and the federal government are looking closely into their operations. Although I am afraid, because you withdrew from classes without notifying the school, that you will have difficulty finding an easy solution to your debt, you might want to look into your particular school's practices to see if there could be some avenues for you to explore there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">