• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school attendance in texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aceinsatx

What is the name of your state? TX

I have 2 sons in high school and I found out they were skipping alot of classes and I talked to the assistant principal and we started dropping them off at school to make sure they got there and it seems they were still skipping classes and now the school district filed charges against us for them not attending classes. They are 17 and 16. I've been trying to make them understand the importance of school but evidently it fell on deaf ears. The fines can be rather large and they can hold me responsible but how can I physically make them go to school, I can't. So I'm asking for advice on handling this appearance at the court so I or their mother doesn't drown in fines or serve jail time. Any help will be truly appreciated.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your trouble. While I cannot ensure the integrity of this information, I have managed to locate a web-site that targeted the educational code in the state of Texas. The complete link is provided below:

http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/administrative_services/pupil/attendance.htm

If I am reading the document right, and once again, I cannot ensure its integrity or the integrity of my analysis, if you are proven guilty of contributing to nonattendance, the fine that you have to pay may not exceed $500. If you do not obey that order, you can be charged with up to $100 and/or 3 days of city jail confinment.

Here are a few more links regarding the educational code:

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/home.school/hometec.html
http://www.dads.state.tx.us/handbooks/TexasWorks/pdf/TW-A1600.pdf

The second one is a PDF document that seems to be very informative. Good luck!

attendance

Parents are responsible for their children's education. Children enrolled in public schools are there by their parents' choice, we could opt to home school or private school. When we enroll our children in school, we agree to abide by school rules/policies. If you cannot keep them in school, then consider home schooling. Your eldest should be old enough to take the GED, possibly even your youngest. Look into it.

aceinsatx

thanks for the info

phikappaphi and belize breeze i appreciate the info the only other question i have is when i have went in before for their other tobacco fines i have to fill out a prerequisite form ( i think that is what they are) asking me if i plead guilty, no contest or not guilty. in this case i'm not sure how to plead , because i'm not helping them skip or not allowing them too but i also don't want to go to a trial, i can't afford it. any thoughts would be appreciated. i go to court wed 05/04/05. more info i withdrew my 17 yr old so he can get his ged and hopefully i can get him in a tech school. thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">