• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School 'Code of Conduct'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1998golfer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

In my school's code of conduct, on page 56, it says:
According to the Colorado Revised Statutes 22-23-106(1)(a-g) and 3(e) and 22-12-105(3), the following
shall be grounds for suspension or expulsion from a public school:
Continued willful disobedience or open and persistent defiance of proper authority.
Willful destruction or defacing of school property.
Behavior on or off school property which is detrimental to the welfare or safety of other pupils or of
school personnel, including behavior which creates a threat of physical harm to the child or other
children.
Declaration as a habitually disruptive student. For the purposes of this paragraph, “habitually
disruptive student” means a child who has caused a material and substantial disruption three (3)
times during the course of the school year on school grounds, in school vehicles, or at school activities
or events. Any student who is enrolled in a public school may be subject to being declared a
habitually disruptive student.
The student and the parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian shall have been notified in writing of
each disruption counted toward declaring the student as habitually disruptive and the student and
parent, legal guardian or legal custodian shall have been notified in writing and by telephone or other
means at the home or the place of employment of the parent or legal guardian of the definition of
“habitually disruptive student”.
The use, possession or sale of a drug or controlled substance as defined in C.R.S. 12-22-303.
The commission of an act which if committed by an adult would be robbery pursuant to Part 3,
Article 4, Title 18, C.R.S. or assault pursuant to Part 2. Article 3, Title 18,
C.R.S. other than the commission of an act that would be third degree assault under C.R.S.
18-3-201 if committed by an adult.
The carrying, bringing, using, or possessing a dangerous weapon without the authorization of the
school or district.
NOTE: In accordance with federal law, expulsion shall be mandatory and for no less than one full
calendar year for a student who is determined to have brought to or possessed a firearm at school.
The Chief Education Officer may modify the length of this federal requirement for expulsion on a
case-by-case basis. Such modification shall be in writing.
As used in this paragraph, “dangerous weapon” means:
A firearm, whether loaded or unloaded
Any pellet or BB gun or other device, whether operational or not, designed to propel projectiles by
spring action or compressed air.
A fixed blade knife with a blade that measures longer than three inches in length or a spring loaded
knife or a pocket knife with a blade longer than three and one- half inches.
And it carries on. But the part I am curious about is the end. I bolded it in the statement above.
I want to know, that if I bring in a spring loaded pocket knife with a blade of 3-1/4" or 3-1/2", could I be expelled / suspended?

If you don't know, that is ok. Just wanting to know.
This is a High School.
Thanks,
-1998golfer

I'mTheFather

Does your school's code of conduct have this:

"Local restrictions The Board determines that extra precautions are important and necessary to provide for student safety. Therefore, using, possessing or threatening to use any knife, regardless of the length of the blade, in any school building, on school grounds, in any school vehicle, or at any school-sponsored activity without express authorization of the school or school district is prohibited. Students who violate this policy provision shall be subject to disciplinary proceedings, including suspension and/or expulsion, in accordance with Board policy concerning student suspensions,"

on page 31?

maneki

I agree with TheGeekess on this one. And as the parent of a high school student I will say that the fact that you're questioning this makes me very uncomfortable. Is there some legitimate reason you need to bring a knife to school?

TigerD

I agree with TheGeekess on this one. And as the parent of a high school student I will say that the fact that you're questioning this makes me very uncomfortable. Is there some legitimate reason you need to bring a knife to school?
There are literally hundreds of reasons to carry a knife, the least of which is because you might need to cut something.

DC

maneki

And when you're at school and need to cut something you can ask for scissors. If it's something that needs to be cut outside of school hours then there is no reason to bring it TO school. Or if (and I honestly at this time can't think of why you'd HAVE to do it) you absolutely MUST bring a knife to school you could always arrange it with the office in advance and ask them to hold it for you during school hours. No reason to have to actually carry it on you while in classes.

TigerD

And when you're at school and need to cut something you can ask for scissors. If it's something that needs to be cut outside of school hours then there is no reason to bring it TO school. Or if (and I honestly at this time can't think of why you'd HAVE to do it) you absolutely MUST bring a knife to school you could always arrange it with the office in advance and ask them to hold it for you during school hours. No reason to have to actually carry it on you while in classes.
You need your skinning knife to field dress the deer you shot on the way to school.

DC

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'm willing to bet the HS bass fishing team has knives in their tackle boxes. But they're not toting the tackle boxes around the school, they're locked up out in the pickup truck's locked cab.

I had a friend who went hunting one early Monday AM. He didn't take his shotgun/rifle out of the truck before he came to school. Oops. Big stink, even for +30 years ago. :cool:

ajkroy

As a high school teacher, I can tell you that everyone is on alert and most districts are taking a zero-tolerance policy. Period.

Education sure has changed when we teachers spend some of our teacher-development days learning how to disable armed attackers and how to protect students and survive open shooting events instead of how to differentiate instruction and work with IEPs.

If a student brought a knife to my school, he/she would be expelled without question -- and my school is a technical high school (meaning we give knives, pipe wrenches, needles, and other potential weapons to students).

1998golfer, is there a school counselor or teacher you trust? Please talk to someone to get some guidance. Ask your parents/guardians for counseling if you are thinking about hurting someone. Expulsion could be the least of your worries.

1998golfer

Does your school's code of conduct have this:

"Local restrictions The Board determines that extra precautions are important and necessary to provide for student safety. Therefore, using, possessing or threatening to use any knife, regardless of the length of the blade, in any school building, on school grounds, in any school vehicle, or at any school-sponsored activity without express authorization of the school or school district is prohibited. Students who violate this policy provision shall be subject to disciplinary proceedings, including suspension and/or expulsion, in accordance with Board policy concerning student suspensions,"

on page 31?
Apparently it does, I missed that. Guess I should've read more of the code of conduct.
I was asking not because i wanted to bring a knife to school, but because a few friends brought it up to me, telling me that they were going to bring knives to school because of this page in the code of conduct. I wanted to have some way to either prove them correct or disprove them. Now that I know what it says on page 31, I have that.
As a high school teacher, I can tell you that everyone is on alert and most districts are taking a zero-tolerance policy. Period.

Education sure has changed when we teachers spend some of our teacher-development days learning how to disable armed attackers and how to protect students and survive open shooting events instead of how to differentiate instruction and work with IEPs.

If a student brought a knife to my school, he/she would be expelled without question -- and my school is a technical high school (meaning we give knives, pipe wrenches, needles, and other potential weapons to students).

1998golfer, is there a school counselor or teacher you trust? Please talk to someone to get some guidance. Ask your parents/guardians for counseling if you are thinking about hurting someone. Expulsion could be the least of your worries.
As I said above, I am not planning on bringing a knife to school, I don't want to hurt anyone, etc. But thanks for the concern.

Thank you all for the help,
-1998golfer

Last edited:

maneki

I'm very relieve to know you're not planning on bringing one to school. I will strongly suggest though that if your friends do bring knives to school please let a teacher or counselor know about it. Even if they are only wanting to do it to skirt the system and walk the edge of the rules it's just not safe.

TigerD

I will strongly suggest though that if your friends do bring knives to school please let a teacher or counselor know about it.
I'd suggest you (OP) do the exact opposite and mind your own business. Starting out life as a rat or snitch is not the way you want to go. There is a world of difference between telling the truth when asked and seeking out somebody to tattle to.

DC

ajkroy

What you suggested is taking steps to ensure the OP catches a beat down at best.

DC
Actually, we encourage ALL kids to report anything now. Texts, graffiti, even things they see on social media. Weapons would absolutely be in this category. Bullying as a result of such a report would cause the perpetrators to be suspended or expelled.

School is a totally different place from when you or I attended. The "rules" have changed, now that kids are being killed at school nearly every month or so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">