• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School district denied interdistrict permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shyone44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Torrace California

I would really appreciate some help. My son has been in the same school district for 5 years. Well earlier this year I separated from my husband and I had to moved to a nearby city. I called the school district before I moved, so I could make sure that he could attend the same school. They advised me to read their handbook and go from there. So I read the following in the handbook:

EC 48204(b)

Residency Based on Parent Employment: Provides that school districts may admit students grade Kindergarten through 12 to its schools whose parents(s) or guardian(s) is employed within the boundaries of the district. This statutory attendance option was discontinued by action of the Torrance Board of Education and will not be offered to NEW students during the 2008-09 school year."

Please keep in mind that my son has been a student in the district for 5 years.

When I went down to the school district they gave me a letter that said "

"On June 20,1994 the Torrance Board of Education voted to discontinue the practice of admitting NEW students whom parent or legal guardian is employed within the boundaries of the Torrance Unified School District.

As a result of this adopted policy, we have denied the request for a parent employment related transfer (pursuant to Education Code Section 48204 (f)) for your student to attend a Torrance school. Your permit has been returned to your district of residence."

By the way, my permit was handed back to me, they didn't send it to my current district.

Please if anyone can help me. I'm trying to keep my son's life as normal as possible after my split from his dad. My son has been a student in this very same district for 5 years. If you know someone I can call or email, I would appreciate the information.

shyone44

Yes I do work in Torrance. I have check stubs to prove it. Please also keep in mind that my "Home" school district released me due to my employment in Torrance. That's how I qualified to be released to attend another school district.

tranquility

I don't think a district is *required* to accept an interdistrict transfer. (That which is not prohibited is not required.)

I'd contact the superintendent with your information. Make sure they are aware your child is a returning student and the prohibition should not to be applied. Still, they have a legal duty to accomodate in district students first. Everything else is based on space availability. The only way I'd see where you were wronged is if a student or students who were new and admitted based on parent's work were taking up a space your child could take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">