• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school field trip gone bad!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

real_baller2k

I live in california my son is a senior in high school, im not going to metion any names till i have to.

This is what had happened on this field trip. My son had signed up to go on a field trip form 8:00am to 3:30pm to a autitorium to go listen to guest speakers. He was at the field trip listening to the speakers till the had a lunch break half way into the field trip. After the lunch break he found some kids that he knew the went to a near by school and wanted to sit with them. He asked a volunteer if it was ok to sit over were they were sitting. The volunteer told them it was ok. He went to sit in the back corner of the autitorium with his friends. After the last speaker had spoken he went looking for his school. He went outside with his friends and asked one of their teachers if he knew were my sons school was at. The teacher told him to go check back inside the autitorium because some schools were still in there. He said goodbye to his friends and went back inside. He didn't see anyone from his school, so he went outside to check to see if his school was in the parking lot. He didn't find anyone, so being a little frustrated my son went to go sit and wait to see if the school would notice if he was missing and try to find him. After 45 min he go very frustrated and decided to leave. My son knew the bus system well so after he left he went to Jack-in-the-box to eat and then waited for the bus at the bus stop.

This is what angers me, the school didn't go to find him or that the school never called me to tell me that my son was missing,or that my son had to take two buses to come home and that he had lost his backpack because he left it on the bus!

Do i have a case?

JETX

Q: "Do i have a case?"
A: Though you might have a case of the school failing to hold this high school seniors hand, there is nothing actionable in this case. Your son chose to 'wander off', even though he told 'a volunter' and claims to have gotten their permission (the reason I say 'claims', is that even if you had a case, you would have to prove that the 'volunteer' had some responsibility to monitor his actions and that responsibility was breached).

Simply, though there may be some responsibility on the schools part, your son has the far greater responsibility.... especially if the group was told not to leave the group (as I assume happened).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">