• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School not providing me with required government form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j0mb00

Hi,

I took a course and was supposed to receive a 1098-t form. I never received it. I have called them to obtain the form so I can go to my accountant and receive a tax credit. Without the form, I cannot collect the tax credit. The school says it is too long ago (2010) to give me the form. I have never heard of that since they were required to send it to the IRS to begin with. Do you think I have a case? If so, where? small claims court?

justalayman

you want a form from 2010 now? Why didn't you get it in 2010/11 when you needed it (you know, when you filed your taxes for 2010)

are you only now filing your taxes for 2010?

justalayman

actually you do not need the forms at all if you have the information on the form. You do not file the form. It is only an informational form when sent to the named party. The IRS already has the information contained on the form.

but why do you need a form for the year 2010? Running to file your 2010 taxes before it's too late?

j0mb00

Yes, I agree. I was told that too, the IRS has the information already because the school was required to send a 1098-e back in 2010. For some reason, my accountant says the IRS will not accept a receipt/bill, they need the 1098-t. But I was told they do accept receipts/bills either by a different accountant or someone at the IRS I talked to. Maybe I should just bring my return to someone else.

The school is located in NY.

I need the 2010 form because I never got it and I didn't do the work (in talking to the school) in obtaining it in the previous years. I need it before the time expires to amend.

TigerD

Google is your friend. Google solves all your problems. Google will find the answer and alert the appropriate government agency to expect your call. And the best thing it that you can google all by yourself. Once when nobody was around, I googled on the couch -- right in the living room.

I'm done. Asked the same question twice. OP ignores.

justalayman

have you provided documentation to support the information that would be found on the 1098T?

just a WAG but I suspect the accountant is refusing to put numbers on the amended tax form that are provided by the OP without supporting documents. If so, that is the story OP is likely to get from everybody they approach.

j0mb00

have you provided documentation to support the information that would be found on the 1098T?

just a WAG but I suspect the accountant is refusing to put numbers on the amended tax form that are provided by the OP without supporting documents. If so, that is the story OP is likely to get from everybody they approach.

The supporting document is a bill/receipt. I attached a copy and sent it to the accountant.

The school is Long Island University.

Have you tried to get a second opinion from an accountant in this matter?
Not yet, as I was under the assumption this can all be done without the 1098-t, but with a bill or receipt. I think I may try that next or go to an IRS office.

LdiJ

There is another solution to the problem that I am surprised has not been mentioned.

Call the IRS. Ask for an Income Transcript (emphasis on the word income) for 2010. If the IRS received a 1098 from the school, it will be on the transcript. Yes, I know that 1098's are not income documents, however they do appear on the income transcripts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">