• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School refusing to transport me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eddythesaint

New York. Ok, so i'm 16 years old and I attend a vocational program at my school. We have a mandantory intership during school hours. The place I have to go to is almost a mile away. Since i live in Upstate NY i would rather not have to walk. Couldnt there be some liability issues here....? Is this legal?Even if it is could you please provide me with some information to help fight this.

Isis1

New York. Ok, so i'm 16 years old and I attend a vocational program at my school. We have a mandantory intership during school hours. The place I have to go to is almost a mile away. Since i live in Upstate NY i would rather not have to walk. Couldnt there be some liability issues here....? Is this legal?Even if it is could you please provide me with some information to help fight this.
the school is not liable for your transportation. did the same thing as you in high school. either i hitched a ride with other students, took the bus, or my parent took me.

CSO286

Uh...yeah, pretty much legal. Many schools won't bus kids who live within two miles.

A mile is about a 15 minute walk.....it won't kill you, I promise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The school district where I went to school wouldn't transport within two miles, and wouldn't transport at all from 9th grade on.

Yup, it's legal. Buy a mountain bike.

Antigone*

The school district where I went to school wouldn't transport within two miles, and wouldn't transport at all from 9th grade on.

Yup, it's legal. Buy a mountain bike.
Or better yet, have the people legally responsible for you figure it out.;)

Humusluvr

When you signed up for this vocational program, what did they tell you about transportation?

Humusluvr

sad...16 and cant walk a mile..
I don't think the OP ever stated he couldn't walk a mile, he asked about the legal implications of being asked to walk. That some people choose to chide him over it is ridiculous, because he does have a point.

There have been cases of children killed walking to school.

Dalton Hatfield: Parents of child killed walking to school file lawsuit - fox59.com

Not that these parents will win the lawsuit, but it's an interesting legal question. The OP would have to return and give a lot more details before he could be helped further. One question he might answer is - Do the streets leading to the internship have sidewalks? Are they plowed by the city? He DOES live in NY, where the snow may affect whether he can even GET THERE.

So, before jumping on the "Your legs broke, boy?" bandwagon, some of the seniors who can actually answer legal questions might offer advice, instead of insults.

You Are Guilty

Oh my! Although I don't suppose its any solace to these parents:
http://www.atlantagapersonalinjuryattorney.com/2011/08/parents-of-georgia-boy-killed-in-bus-crash-file-wrongful-death-suit.shtml
Not that these parents will win the lawsuit, but it's an interesting legal question. The OP would have to return and give a lot more details before he could be helped further. One question he might answer is - Do the streets leading to the internship have sidewalks? Are they plowed by the city? He DOES live in NY, where the snow may affect whether he can even GET THERE.
Not so much. I believe the applicable statute has been provided.
So, before jumping on the "Your legs broke, boy?" bandwagon, some of the seniors who can actually answer legal questions might offer advice, instead of insults.
Seems like one gets both, here.

Humusluvr

Oh my! Although I don't suppose its any solace to these parents:
Parents of Georgia boy killed in bus crash file wrongful death suit | Atlanta Personal Injury Attorneys Blog

Not so much. I believe the applicable statute has been provided.

Seems like one gets both, here.
Yeppers.

The one problem I see with the statutes (Thanks to cbg for providing) is this

§ 3635. Transportation. 1. a. Sufficient transportation facilities
(including the operation and maintenance of motor vehicles) shall be
provided by the school district for all the children residing within the
school district to and from the school they legally attend, who are in
need of such transportation because of the remoteness of the school to
the child or for the promotion of the best interest of such children.

Such transportation shall be provided for all children attending grades
kindergarten through eight who live more than two miles from the school
which they legally attend and for all children attending grades nine
through twelve who live more than three miles from the school which they
legally attend and shall be provided for each such child up to a
distance of fifteen miles, the distances in each case being measured by
the nearest available route from home to school.
The statute says when transportation SHALL be provided (implying - HAS TO BE) but if you look at the bolded, the internship site could be remote, even one mile from the location, due to conditions. I think the OP also could argue that it would be in his best interests to be able to be transported to to said internship, as that would allow him to complete his education, and it is REQUIRED.

I think it would all come down to what the school normally does, who they normally transport, where this internship is, and if the OP can make a case for not walking.

CdwJava

Another question might be whether or not the internship MUST be at the place he chose, or if there are other options.

We have a similar program here, but participation in the vocational program requires the student to acknowledge at the outset that he/she will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the internship location. I strongly suspect that when the OP signed up for the vocational program all of these requirements were spelled out somewhere.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let us also not forget that we are looking at a 16 year old's view of what he should and should not be required to do. I have yet to meet a 16 year old whose view in that regards is not a trifle skewed.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Let us also not forget that we are looking at a 16 year old's view of what he should and should not be required to do. I have yet to meet a 16 year old whose view in that regards is not a trife skewed.
I recall school before busing and I had to walk almost one mile to and from school every day beginning with Kindergarten, almost two miles to and from Junior High School, and more than 2 miles to and from high school each day. I refuse to pick my kids up from school when they have to walk a whopping 6 blocks to high school or less than one mile to middle school! Why does everyone think kids need to get a ride! And we wonder why kids are getting chubby.

CLJM

There most certainly can be a very definite safety issue in walking.

I know...I know.... "back when we went to school".... but times have changed ---much more dangerous to be walking now; child or adult, and most particularly alone in perhaps a remote area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">