• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School screwing me over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bilnic80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Im currently attending ITT tech in Green Bay for my business degree. 6 months ago they told me that my morning classes were gonna be dropped and i would either have to go to night classes or switch to online. Im currently online but am failing because i cant do the online classes, just not how i learn. Im trying to switch out to another school but i know as soon as i do that ITT is gonna wanna collect from me with my loans and grants. I was just wondering if there is any way i can get out from paying all of this because of how they screwed me over when they knew i couldnt do night classes because of my job. I was told before i signed up that there would be no scheduling problems for my classes and within a year that changed. Do i have anything here or am i just screwed??

Banned_Princess

Im currently attending ITT tech in Green Bay for my business degree. 6 months ago they told me that my morning classes were gonna be dropped and i would either have to go to night classes or switch to online. Im currently online but am failing because i cant do the online classes, just not how i learn. Im trying to switch out to another school but i know as soon as i do that ITT is gonna wanna collect from me with my loans and grants. I was just wondering if there is any way i can get out from paying all of this because of how they screwed me over when they knew i couldnt do night classes because of my job. I was told before i signed up that there would be no scheduling problems for my classes and within a year that changed. Do i have anything here or am i just screwed??
you are just screwed. like everyone else that falls for the ad's and takes out thousands in loans and grants to attend this non accredited school.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

This is a private matter between you and the school. It will be controlled by the contract you have entered in to with ITT.

antrc170

Unless you have something in writing from ITT guarenteeing you day classes throughout your enrollment, then you are screwed. The reps told you that there wouldn't be any scheduling problems and at the time that statement was made it appears that there were not because the morning classes were available. ITT can discontinue classes pretty much at their leisure.

ITT is an accredited institution. It is accredited by the Council for Indpedent College and Schools which is recognized by the US Dept of Education. However, that particular accrediation council offers accrediation to schools that train in very specific career path, which is why credits are not generally transferred.

Humusluvr

The school did not do this purposefully TO HURT YOU. They did it for business or scheduling reasons. You seem to think you are the only person at the school. Or that the school caters to you. That's not how it works.

Don't take it so personally.

quincy

Actually, Pro, I am not sure that the ITT Techs can be defamed at this point. ;)

There have over the years been many many lawsuits filed against various and assorted ITT Techs throughout the country, by both the students who attend or have attended the schools, and by the teachers who teach or have taught at them. There have been both federal and state investigations into the operations of some and into the questionable recruiting practices of others and into the use or abuse of government funds in several.

You may want to use the Search feature at the top of the page and put in the keyword box (or "user id" box) the name "cjwilson." cjwilson started a thread years ago on the topic of ITT Tech and he makes a return visit to FA every year or so to revive this old thread and say hello.

With the above said, many ITT Techs have experienced no problems at all and the students who attend are able to get a good tech education and find a good tech job after graduation. But it pays to investigate thoroughly any ITT school or, for that matter, any school prior to enrolling, so that you know exactly what your dollars will be buying in the way of education.

Proserpina

Actually, Pro, I am not sure that the ITT Techs can be defamed at this point. ;)

There have over the years been many many lawsuits filed against various and assorted ITT Techs throughout the country, by both the students who attend or have attended the schools, and by the teachers who teach or have taught at them. There have been both federal and state investigations into the operations of some and into the questionable recruiting practices of others and into the use or abuse of government funds in several.

You may want to use the Search feature at the top of the page and put in the keyword box (or "user id" box) the name "cjwilson." cjwilson started a thread years ago on the topic of ITT Tech and he makes a return visit to FA every year or so to revive this old thread and say hello.

With the above said, many ITT Techs have experienced no problems at all and the students who attend are able to get a good tech education and find a good tech job after graduation. But it pays to investigate thoroughly any ITT school or, for that matter, any school prior to enrolling, so that you know exactly what your dollars will be buying in the way of education.

The ARE accredited, quincy ;)

They're not regionally - but they are accredited ;)

quincy

Oh, well, yes. You are right. ITT Tech schools are indeed accredited.

And so Banned_Princess managed with the second half of her comment to hit on one of the few areas that has not caused ITT Tech schools any major legal grief yet. Way to go, BP. :D;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">