• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School searches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Do school admin have to tell a student the reasons for doing a search of a locker? Or even inform the student that they're intending to search or have searched it?

One of my friends saw admin riffling through my locker the other day and admin have never said anything to me about it.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Do school admin have to tell a student the reasons for doing a search of a locker? Or even inform the student that they're intending to search or have searched it?

One of my friends saw admin riffling through my locker the other day and admin have never said anything to me about it.
Short answer: No. :cool:

No?. I know that they can look anytime they want. I think it's weird that there's no notification required...that's kind of creepy. I feel violated.

Yeah, it's their locker. And they let me put my stuff in it. I don't think its asking too much to expect some communication.

They obviously have some reason for targeting my locker. But they don't want to say anything to me about it? They're being creepy.

I feel like I should be able to be there while they search it too.

ecmst12

Your feelings are irrelevent. They could have had a reason or it could have been a random search. You have ZERO expectation of privacy in a school locker, nor are they required to tell you anything or let you be present during an inspection. Anything that you don't want school officials seeing (for whatever reason), you shouldn't put in your locker.

justalayman

7654;2962474]Yeah, it's their locker. And they let me put my stuff in it. I don't think its asking too much to expect some communication.
well, too bad they don't agree with you. Have you asked why they searched your locker?

I feel like I should be able to be there while they search it too.
well, they nor the law agree with you

You have ZERO expectation of privacy in a school locker, nor are they required to tell you anything or let you be present during an inspection.
So that sucks.

Anything that you don't want school officials seeing (for whatever reason), you shouldn't put in your locker.
Um, yeah, I don't keep anything in there that I don't want them to get their hands on. They're not going to find anything interesting in there - still, I don't like the idea of them looking.

Have you asked why they searched your locker?
I haven't had a chance yet. Probably looking for drugs. Because that's exactly where I'd keep drugs if I had any at school... :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">