• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School told Clearinghouse I graduated when I didn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soulchild99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was enrolled in college the fall of 2009. Despite applying several times, I could not get out a loan to pay the rest of the balance, and was then forced to leave. I later found out through AES that the school put in the Clearinghouse system that I had graduated in the spring of that year. When I finally did graduate, I found out I lost my grace period, causing me to be late and hiked my payments/messed up my credit. When I tried to get a verification letter, I was told by the registrar's office that I was registered for classes, but I was not validated. But the financial aid office told me I was. Now, neither the dean nor anyone else there will answer my e-mails or calls. Along with the stuff listed, I almost had to leave a fellowship opportunity and a job last minute because of this.
I've tried to look at this from as many angles as possible to see if there was anything I could have done differently. I also want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. Do I have a case here?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I was enrolled in college the fall of 2009. Despite applying several times, I could not get out a loan to pay the rest of the balance, and was then forced to leave. I later found out through AES that the school put in the Clearinghouse system that I had graduated in the spring of that year. When I finally did graduate, I found out I lost my grace period, causing me to be late and hiked my payments/messed up my credit. When I tried to get a verification letter, I was told by the registrar's office that I was registered for classes, but I was not validated. But the financial aid office told me I was. Now, neither the dean nor anyone else there will answer my e-mails or calls. Along with the stuff listed, I almost had to leave a fellowship opportunity and a job last minute because of this.
I've tried to look at this from as many angles as possible to see if there was anything I could have done differently. I also want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. Do I have a case here?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
YOu messed up your payments because YOU did not file for deferment or forebearance. If the dean will not answer you, go higher to the president of the University if necessary.

xylene

If the dean will not answer you, go higher to the president of the University if necessary.
As well the poster should see the university ombudsman.

That of course is in relations to the enrollment status issues.

Of course you are correct that the resultant credit problems are of the OP's own making.

Humusluvr

Are you sure they put that you "graduated" and not that you left the university? If you left the university, due to not being enrolled (for whatever reason) then your previous loans would come due. Graduating versus leaving are very different circumstances.

Have you gone to the actual university and attempted to correct this? Because emailing and calling call fall on the back burner, but having a student in front of you could help the circumstance at the financial aide office.

What would you have a "case" for? What damages have you incurred?

soulchild99

Ok I guess I really should have been more detailed with my answer:

1) When the school said I left in May (instead of September when I actually left) they said my grace period was used for that. So no, I could not file for a deferrment.
2) I graduated in May. No one told me until the end of June that there was still an issue with my grace period. The school I graduated from didn't even know--they were sending me reminders that my grace period was ending soon at the end of October. But I was told that it would be cleared up once I got the verification letter from the other school.

when I first called, AES said they put that I had graduated..but since I actually graduated this May, I'm sure they changed it. I attended the other school for a year and a half.

And no I haven't been back to the school. It's in another state, and I haven't been able to get any time off to go (I just started another job). I do plan to go, since they keep giving me the runaround.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok I guess I really should have been more detailed with my answer:

1) When the school said I left in May (instead of September when I actually left) they said my grace period was used for that. So no, I could not file for a deferrment.
Actually YOU could have filed for a deferment if these were FEDERAL student loans.
2) I graduated in May. No one told me until the end of June that there was still an issue with my grace period. The school I graduated from didn't even know--they were sending me reminders that my grace period was ending soon at the end of October. But I was told that it would be cleared up once I got the verification letter from the other school.

when I first called, AES said they put that I had graduated..but since I actually graduated this May, I'm sure they changed it. I attended the other school for a year and a half.

And no I haven't been back to the school. It's in another state, and I haven't been able to get any time off to go (I just started another job). I do plan to go, since they keep giving me the runaround.
Oh so you transferred schools. That is the problem, huh?

soulchild99

be that as it may, I had no idea I needed to defer anything until after the fact-alma mater and I were never informed that my grace period was changed due to the other school's mistake. It affected my private loans as well, but that situation's been cleared up (surprisingly).

And yes, when I left that school I transferred to one back in my home state.

Humusluvr

be that as it may, I had no idea I needed to defer anything until after the fact-alma mater and I were never informed that my grace period was changed due to the other school's mistake. It affected my private loans as well, but that situation's been cleared up (surprisingly).

And yes, when I left that school I transferred to one back in my home state.
So, you're saying you got absolutely NO notice your loans were leaving deferment?

So, do you have two schools on record as having graduated from them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">