• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Uniform Stricter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elitetrackstar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I moved into the school district this summer, and learned about the school have a dress code of a collar shirt. So when I went to school to register my child, I asked questions about the uniform. Was told that the color didn't matter as long as its a solid color was given a paper with information about it. So I purchased her cloths using those specifications. A week passes and then the second week of school I noticed a piece of paper different from what I was given saying that the only shirt colors that can be worn are red, white, and blue and that jean shorts are not allowed. I've already purchased her school cloths so I was irate when I saw this new piece of paper.

After further research, I learned that they started wearing uniforms starting this year.

Is there anything I can do without purchasing new shirts?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I moved into the school district this summer, and learned about the school have a dress code of a collar shirt. So when I went to school to register my child, I asked questions about the uniform. Was told that the color didn't matter as long as its a solid color was given a paper with information about it. So I purchased her cloths using those specifications. A week passes and then the second week of school I noticed a piece of paper different from what I was given saying that the only shirt colors that can be worn are red, white, and blue and that jean shorts are not allowed. I've already purchased her school cloths so I was irate when I saw this new piece of paper.

After further research, I learned that they started wearing uniforms starting this year.

What did the school say when you asked them?

tranquility

What would your guess be?

Everyone is wearing the proper uniform, except your child. How do you think the school will handle the situation?

Is it fair? I don't know how well the OP was notified. I do know it will probably be to a level the government finds fair. I might not find it fair and the OP certainly does not, but the cost to fight how fair the notification was is going to cost a lot more than a new set of clothes.

Antigone*

What would your guess be?

Everyone is wearing the proper uniform, except your child. How do you think the school will handle the situation?

Is it fair? I don't know how well the OP was notified. I do know it will probably be to a level the government finds fair. I might not find it fair and the OP certainly does not, but the cost to fight how fair the notification was is going to cost a lot more than a new set of clothes.
In cases like this, often time the school will give the student the shirts they need at a low cost. If that is not a viable option, I'm sure there is some waiver that can be granted if it is that big a deal.

It was that way for my daughter. Either way, this is not a hill to die on. Shirts are a few bucks each.

elitetrackstar

I wasn't looking for a fight, more of a concern for my child to not get suspended. I'm a full time grad student with part time job, I have a 2nd grader and recently moved across the country to go to school. So money right now is tight especially since the college takes a couple of weeks to deposit loans to my bank account.

I do thank you for the advice, I'll see if they'll give me some time to replace her shirts. Still think its ridiculous how theirs a failure of communication between their office personal and principal a week before school starts. Like I said, I was told any solid color with a collar. At no time was I told it was color specific.

Antigone*

I wasn't looking for a fight, more of a concern for my child to not get suspended. I'm a full time grad student with part time job, I have a 2nd grader and recently moved across the country to go to school. So money right now is tight especially since the college takes a couple of weeks to deposit loans to my bank account.

I do thank you for the advice, I'll see if they'll give me some time to replace her shirts. Still think its ridiculous how theirs a failure of communication between their office personal and principal a week before school starts. Like I said, I was told any solid color with a collar. At no time was I told it was color specific.
I hear you.;) Good luck.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Many school here, that have uniforms, have a closet where they let students get uniforms. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I know that I donated my daughter's uniforms when she went to middle school to help folks in just your situation.

Goodwill, and such, may also have uniform shirts.

Humusluvr

Many school here, that have uniforms, have a closet where they let students get uniforms. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I know that I donated my daughter's uniforms when she went to middle school to help folks in just your situation.

Goodwill, and such, may also have uniform shirts.
I get all my kiddo's school uniforms from Goodwill. He grows like a weed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">