• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schools confiscating cell phones

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchasex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ky

I got a question about how much legal power a school has to confiscate a cell phone. Two friends and me did this thing where we hid a cell phone (that we'd put a 'special' ringtone on) and then called it like 3 times during assembly. It was pretty funny, but the principal didn't think so and we quit doing it when he looked like he was going to flip out.

We had this great plan about going back afterwards to 'recover' the phone but we couldn't get back in. So now the school administrators have the phone. And they also of course have the records on that phone of the numbers that were calling it during assembly (my number and one other friend's).

So the principal told everyone that when he figures out who's numbers they are (and he says they 'have their ways') they're going to confiscate their phones and place them at the school district's office until the end of the school year (which is in the code of conduct but it's like the consequence for the 3rd time you're caught using a phone - I never got caught before).

I can't even see how they can figure out it's my number? - someone has called it a bunch of times (like they expect me to answer and go "hey, this is jchasex"...!). I haven't answered and changed my message for now.

So I'm thinking, if I just leave my phone at home, or drop it off at work which is close to school and pick it up after, til this all blows over there's not much they can do about it right? They can't make me bring my phone to school just so that they can confiscate it can they?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

The school my children attend are strict on cell phones. They have installed a dampener. My daughter had a highly rated cell phone. She forgot to turn it off, when at school. She received a wrong number call during class. I was required to pick the phone up in person and she received detention. A second offense was suspension and confiscation. You had best leave the phone off, at school, for the rest of the year. Watch out for unknown numbers calling, it might be your principal. Hopefully he does not think to add or subtract a few numbers on the number and get one of your parents.

jchasex

Yeah our first offense is pick up at the end of the day, second is pick up after a week I think, third is they keep it to the end of the year....sounds like he wants to jump straight to 3rd offense...

I'm kinda nervous about taking the phone at all in case they somehow connect me to the number and then use their 'powers' to search my stuff and take it.

But I can't figure out how they might find out who owns the number?

And, usefully, my parents numbers are way different! haha

CdwJava

They might be bluffing on finding out the number, but if there is a contract for the phone it is possible. Whether the school will go that far is doubtful.

Even if they cannot confiscate the cell phones, they can certainly discipline the prankster.

jchasex

They might be bluffing on finding out the number, but if there is a contract for the phone it is possible. Whether the school will go that far is doubtful.
Yeah, I figured they can't just call a cell phone company and say "hey, who owns this number?", gotta be privacy issues about them figuring it out. There is a contract on it...which is why I don't want to make it easy for them to get my phone and keep it for the rest of the year...

And I know they don't have my number in their records anywhere.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Seriously? Grow up, little boy. Or drop out of school. You're obviously not interested in what you're there for. Let the kids who are actually get an education, undisturbed by your juvenile mental masturbation.

justalayman

Yeah, I figured they can't just call a cell phone company and say "hey, who owns this number?", gotta be privacy issues about them figuring it out. There is a contract on it...which is why I don't want to make it easy for them to get my phone and keep it for the rest of the year...

And I know they don't have my number in their records anywhere.
there are ways, both legal and illegal, to obtain the current owners name of contracted cellphones. You are foolishly playing games without the forethought of the consequences. It's time you grow up and start thinking about consequences to your actions before acting. That is called; maturity. Hopefully it isn't something that escapes you your entire life.

Humusluvr

The school my children attend are strict on cell phones. They have installed a dampener. My daughter had a highly rated cell phone. She forgot to turn it off, when at school. She received a wrong number call during class. I was required to pick the phone up in person and she received detention. A second offense was suspension and confiscation. You had best leave the phone off, at school, for the rest of the year. Watch out for unknown numbers calling, it might be your principal. Hopefully he does not think to add or subtract a few numbers on the number and get one of your parents.
Cell phone dampeners or jammers are illegal. If there was an emergency or a terrorist or a person with a gun, and a teacher couldn't call for help, the school would be in deep trouble.

Are Cell Phone Dampeners Illegal? | eHow.com

However, OP should realize the rules are there to provide a distraction free zone for learning. You disrupted that zone, and so you did more than just "call a phone." You would be up for an increased disciplinary measure.

CdwJava

Well, since the feds have not seemed too interested in pursuing the schools and movie theaters that utilize them, I suspect that they will remain for a while.

Humusluvr

Well, since the feds have not seemed too interested in pursuing the schools and movie theaters that utilize them, I suspect that they will remain for a while.
Until there's an emergency that makes the front pages because a teacher was trying to call for an ambulance and someone dies, you are right. But if I KNEW my kid's school was doing this, I would sure complain.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ky

I got a question about how much legal power a school has to confiscate a cell phone. Two friends and me did this thing where we hid a cell phone (that we'd put a 'special' ringtone on) and then called it like 3 times during assembly. It was pretty funny, but the principal didn't think so and we quit doing it when he looked like he was going to flip out.

We had this great plan about going back afterwards to 'recover' the phone but we couldn't get back in. So now the school administrators have the phone. And they also of course have the records on that phone of the numbers that were calling it during assembly (my number and one other friend's).

So the principal told everyone that when he figures out who's numbers they are (and he says they 'have their ways') they're going to confiscate their phones and place them at the school district's office until the end of the school year (which is in the code of conduct but it's like the consequence for the 3rd time you're caught using a phone - I never got caught before).

I can't even see how they can figure out it's my number? - someone has called it a bunch of times (like they expect me to answer and go "hey, this is jchasex"...!). I haven't answered and changed my message for now.

So I'm thinking, if I just leave my phone at home, or drop it off at work which is close to school and pick it up after, til this all blows over there's not much they can do about it right? They can't make me bring my phone to school just so that they can confiscate it can they?
Leave your phone at home so that you do not have to worry about it being confiscated...and no, they cannot force you to bring it in to be confiscated. However, be prepared to be punished anyway if they ever figure out that it was your phone that called the hidden phone.

jchasex

Seriously? Grow up, little boy. Or drop out of school. You're obviously not interested in what you're there for. Let the kids who are actually get an education, undisturbed by your juvenile mental masturbation.
That's not legal advice. Chill out. We ain't doing any 'learning' in assembly.
And hey, "dem smart kids" seemed to enjoy it just as much.

Do you remember how boring school usually is? God forbid there might be some fun along the way...

there are ways, both legal and illegal, to obtain the current owners name of contracted cellphones. You are foolishly playing games without the forethought of the consequences. It's time you grow up and start thinking about consequences to your actions before acting. That is called; maturity. Hopefully it isn't something that escapes you your entire life.
What's the legal ways to obtain names of cell phone owners? (I assume the school wouldn't take illegal means...) Yeah so we didn't think too seriously about the consequences...they did good to find it...I would congratulate them if that didn't make things obvious...

However, be prepared to be punished anyway if they ever figure out that it was your phone that called the hidden phone.
Yeah, well I'd take suspension or whatever. They ain't getting my phone and putting it in a box til the end of the year while I'm paying a contract on it, that's excessive punishment.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Do you remember how boring school usually is? God forbid there might be some fun along the way...

What's the legal ways to obtain names of cell phone owners? (I assume the school wouldn't take illegal means...) Yeah so we didn't think too seriously about the consequences...they did good to find it...I would congratulate them if that didn't make things obvious...

Yeah, well I'd take suspension or whatever. They ain't getting my phone and putting it in a box til the end of the year while I'm paying a contract on it, that's excessive punishment.
No it isn't. You (and your parents) agreed to it when you signed and turned in the little piece of paper at the back of the school's handbook. :rolleyes:

Humusluvr

What was the ringer that came on during the assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">