• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

schools & drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

What sort of proof does a high school need to have for them to kick you out for 'involvement in a drug sale'? If they have no drugs/no money/no witness/no confessions. Just a comment by one person who wasn't even at school on the same day they say it happened.

And, is there a formal way to appeal the decision they make?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

What sort of proof does a high school need to have for them to kick you out for 'involvement in a drug sale'? If they have no drugs/no money/no witness/no confessions. Just a comment by one person who wasn't even at school on the same day they say it happened.

And, is there a formal way to appeal the decision they make?
A high school is not a court of law. They do not rely upon the same burden of proof as the courts would on a similar charge.

That being said, I find it very hard to believe that a school would expel a student with absolutely no hard evidence that they were involved in selling drugs. I'm sure there's much more to this story than what you are telling, or have been told.

xylene

A high school is not a court of law. They do not rely upon the same burden of proof as the courts would on a similar charge.

That being said, I find it very hard to believe that a school would expel a student with absolutely no hard evidence that they were involved in selling drugs. I'm sure there's much more to this story than what you are telling, or have been told.
Your first point is spot on, however I don't find it very hard to believe that a single uncorroborated snitch would be enough in this day and age.

So...you mean 'they can do whatever the h*** they want'?

They don't even think I was selling it (this time). They think I was buying it. Some people there generally don't like me and they think I sell or at least distribute it. Which is a little bit funny but mostly annoying. I do smoke pot but I don't take it into school (...or buy it there..) or sell it anywhere.

sandyclaus

Your first point is spot on, however I don't find it very hard to believe that a single uncorroborated snitch would be enough in this day and age.
No solid evidence, no. But strong suspicion, for sure. This single uncorroborated snitch could have a history of bringing such issues to the school authorities before and had then turn out to be true.

If you mean, they can throw you out of school for using drugs, sure it does.

They don't even think I was selling it (this time). They think I was buying it. Some people there generally don't like me and they think I sell or at least distribute it. Which is a little bit funny but mostly annoying. I do smoke pot but I don't take it into school (...or buy it there..) or sell it anywhere.
From this statement, it sounds like there is a history of prior suspected drug buying and/or selling coming from you. You admit you use the drugs, but seem to want to deny it when it comes to buying or selling on the school grounds. (You should know that SHARING your drugs with other people, and not selling it to them, counts as distribution, too.)

Just Blue

Your parents should assist you in obtaining an Attorney that deals with Educational Law.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your life will be much easier if you get off the dope.

(By and astounding coincidence, that was the fortune in my cookie today!)

You admit you use the drugs, but seem to want to deny it when it comes to buying or selling on the school grounds. (You should know that SHARING your drugs with other people, and not selling it to them, counts as distribution, too.)
of course I "seem to want to deny it". That's because I don't take pot onto the school grounds (because they always think I got it, why put myself straight in it if I know that?). Yeah, I know about 'sharing'. I'm not that generous.

yeah, they've suspected things in the past. But they never caught me for anything. So now they think I'm some crafty/sneaky guy. But the truth is that they suspect more than they ever should. I suppose when I laugh at them it doesn't help.

There's no 'snitch' by the way. Someone was overheard by admin saying something as a joke. (see, they over-react with me).

sandyclaus

of course I "seem to want to deny it". That's because I don't take pot onto the school grounds (because they always think I got it, why put myself straight in it if I know that?). Yeah, I know about 'sharing'. I'm not that generous.

yeah, they've suspected things in the past. But they never caught me for anything. So now they think I'm some crafty/sneaky guy. But the truth is that they suspect more than they ever should. I suppose when I laugh at them it doesn't help.

There's no 'snitch' by the way. Someone was overheard by admin saying something as a joke. (see, they over-react with me).
Then the solution would be to stop coming to school high. (Oh, I guess the school took care of that for you. Problem solved. :rolleyes:)

Then the solution would be to stop coming to school high. (Oh, I guess the school took care of that for you. Problem solved. :rolleyes:)
Ha. That's not a solution. I don't go to school high (ok, so I did at times in the past, not for ages). That doesn't mean they stop thinking I'm selling/buying drugs on campus, growing pot in my locker or establishing trafficking routes with the exchange student from Colombia.

So there would be a formal appeal process right?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yeah - read the OP's posting h/x. It should surprise NO ONE that the school admins think he's using/dealing.

OP? Here's my advice to you - get off the junk. You're not as clever as [you think] you are.

Last edited:

bryanbush30

What you need to do is

First
Write the school admin a official letter stating that they let you in school or you will seek legal advice.

Second
Get off the junk till you are out of school for good.

Third
If step one doesn't work, get a lawyer and fight for your rights to go to school.

in closing get off the junk.

You're not as clever as you are.
...is this something philosophical?

I wouldn't say I'm 'clever', I'd say people 'investigate' me more than they need to. When an investigation falls apart it doesn't always mean I 'got away with it', sometimes it means I didn't freakin do it to start with.

What you need to do is

First
Write the school admin a official letter stating that they let you in school or you will seek legal advice.

Second
Get off the junk till you are out of school for good.

Third
If step one doesn't work, get a lawyer and fight for your rights to go to school.

in closing get off the junk.
Thanks for the legal advice. I'm still in school at the moment (because it's only an investigation...of something they have no proof of). But they want to kick me out. And are threatening to. They want me to make a statement about 'the purchase'. I told them there was no 'purchase' so I can't make that statement - and they don't like that answer.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
...is this something philosophical?
Nope - I was multitasking and skipped two words - which are now there.

As for your "innocence"... Have you heard the adage "where there's smoke, there's fire"? I suspect it applies in your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">