• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schools and facebook stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No it's not. The billboard does not involve a conversation with other students from the school, potentially on school time, and in print.
A FB posting does not involve a "conversation". A billboard is in print.

How is it different again?

Humusluvr

A FB posting does not involve a "conversation". A billboard is in print.

How is it different again?
*sigh*

A billboard is NOT a conversation in print.

A FB posting DOES involve a conversation. The OP said it did. And because that was "what the kids were talking about," as he said, that's what got him in trouble. The school investigated.

Have you been on FB? Most of my posts involve social interaction. I'm sorry if yours haven't, but that's not really my fault.

Have you run a school? Because I have, and I know exactly why the student got suspended. And I explained it here. Multiple times.

tranquility

As I wrote in the beginning,
I understand the government wants complete control over everything and schools are worse than that.
The only question as to if there is a VIOLATION OF CIVIL RIGHTS by the administrator is if the facebook posting is within the "school context". Right now, because the facebook issue has not been decided by the courts (not the password issue, the facebook posting as being in the school context), the administrator would have qualified immunity for his actions. That doesn't make him right, it just means the violation is not compensible.

Not that that distinction will mean much to the bullies in charge of schools who are doing such a great job educating students.

Humusluvr

Not that that distinction will mean much to the bullies in charge of schools who are doing such a great job educating students.
You seem to think this ONE STUDENT lives in his own sea of free speech. That might be true, outside of school.

But in school, school admin have a DUTY to educate ALL STUDENTS. And the only way they can do so, is to maintain the learning environment. Which the OP disturbed. What do you do when a student makes it so other students can't learn? Send them to ISS or suspend them.

Because one kid, having this conversation on FB about a school employee, obviously disrupted the learning environment so much that they needed to remove him. One kid doesn't get to run that school with his outbursts. Or those that he incites.

I'm sure that the members here can't even imagine what it's like trying to keep the peace in a school, trying to keep the environment friendly enough that students can enjoy their learning, but I can. And I see exactly why they removed this student.

I'm sure that if you look in the student handbook, or code of conduct, that there is a rule that students cannot disrupt learning for others. Which is exactly what this student did.

Zigner

*sigh*

A billboard is NOT a conversation in print.

A FB posting DOES involve a conversation. The OP said it did. And because that was "what the kids were talking about," as he said, that's what got him in trouble. The school investigated.

Have you been on FB? Most of my posts involve social interaction. I'm sorry if yours haven't, but that's not really my fault.
Funny - because we're talking about conversation at school. The FB posts occurred outside of the school. Back to the billboard analogy: If the people who were allowed to peek under the cloth talk about it at school, does give cause for the student to be suspended?

Have you run a school? Because I have, and I know exactly why the student got suspended. And I explained it here. Multiple times.
Really? The OP states the suspension was due to the failure to provide a FB password. I doubt there is any compelling reason for the student to be suspended due to this, as there are myriad other ways for the information to be obtained. I tend to agree that this is bullying by the administration of the school.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I believe the distinction Humusluvr is trying to make is:

Facebook is interactive.

A billboard is not.

I am not chiming in on either side of the issue - this is not my area of expertise. I am simply attempting to clarify a point of definition that does not seem to be clear.

Humusluvr

I believe the distinction Humusluvr is trying to make is:

Facebook is interactive.

A billboard is not.

I am not chiming in on either side of the issue - this is not my area of expertise. I am simply attempting to clarify a point of definition that does not seem to be clear.
and, that while the OP's original post may have been after school, the conversation may have taken place DURING school. Making it "a school issue."

Humusluvr

I think I said an opinion. And didn't defame her. I said "Mrs teacher = ..." and then said some disrespectful stuff.

And yeah, they were basically like you disrupted school. But it's not like I said "hey everybody should say this about Mrs teacher tomorrow!". I didn't encourage anybody to do anything, it just happened by itself. The people who requoted it made that choice all by themselves. It's not like I was trying to be some kind of leader of a revolution here.
Note the OP's own words.

He was suspended for disrupting school.

And the people who CHOSE to take part in the conversation, on his FB wall, added conversation that may have been hostile, defamatory, or aggressive. And everyone saw it.

He started it. He took the fall for it. Even if he didn't intend for it to happen, if he wouldn't have written something so stupid, he wouldn't have gotten suspended. And if he would have provided his FB password, so the school admin could see WHO was at fault, and when it occurred, he took ownership of the post and it's contents.

Live and learn.

Zigner

and, that while the OP's original post may have been after school, the conversation may have taken place DURING school. Making it "a school issue."
Ok, then how will obtaining the FB password show anything? It's not the posting that caused the problem, it's the conversation about the posting, right? If the conversation is disrupting the school, then the participants in the conversation should be disciplined. Not the person who was exercising their free speech rights outside of school.

Zigner

Note the OP's own words.

He was suspended for disrupting school.

And the people who CHOSE to take part in the conversation, on his FB wall, added conversation that may have been hostile, defamatory, or aggressive. And everyone saw it.

He started it. He took the fall for it. Even if he didn't intend for it to happen, if he wouldn't have written something so stupid, he wouldn't have gotten suspended. And if he would have provided his FB password, so the school admin could see WHO was at fault, and when it occurred, he took ownership of the post and it's contents.

Live and learn.
He was suspended for failing to provide his FB password. Something that he has no legal requirement to do. He was suspended for telling the administration "no"

Humusluvr

Ok, then how will obtaining the FB password show anything? It's not the posting that caused the problem, it's the conversation about the posting, right? If the conversation is disrupting the school, then the participants in the conversation should be disciplined. Not the person who was exercising their free speech rights outside of school.
it would show that other people - not him - engaged in this conversation. As it stands, the conversation belongs to him. It's tied to his activities.

Zigner

it would show that other people - not him - engaged in this conversation. As it stands, the conversation belongs to him. It's tied to his activities.
Ahh, so conversation OUTSIDE of school is what he was suspended for? Really?

Humusluvr

He was suspended for failing to provide his FB password. Something that he has no legal requirement to do. He was suspended for telling the administration "no"
Did you read what I just posted? Or are you posting what you WANT the conversation to be about? C'mon, you're usually spot on. But on this post - go back and read it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">