• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schools and facebook stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've had my fair share of run-in's with school administrators (at several different levels) who felt their word was law. They learned different.

Humusluvr

and with that, since I know I'm right and Zig is arguing semantics not grounded in fact, I'll wait for the OP to return.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes he did. Virtually. It came to school. Welcome to the 21st century!
No, he didn't. Because it's not the NOTE that caused the disruption (that you are claiming occurred). It was the discussion of the note. The other students brought the discussion. Welcome to the world.

tranquility

I'm sure he'll come back after school and tell us what his post actually said.
ARE YOU JOKING?

My goodness, why subject himself to further unconstitutional pressure from the school? While I might do so, it takes an extremely confident person to stand in the face of a petty governmental official with power over him.

I note my hypothetical wasn't answered. Hmm....it seems the same. Well, unless there was viewpoint discrimination here. Criticizing The Man and all that.

tranquility

Interestingly, yesterday at:
http://reason.com/blog/2012/04/11/stop-cyberbullying-your-masters

is an article on high school kids getting suspended for posting parodies and irreverent memes about teachers and administrators on Tumbler.

Humusluvr

Interestingly, yesterday at:
http://reason.com/blog/2012/04/11/stop-cyberbullying-your-masters

is an article on high school kids getting suspended for posting parodies and irreverent memes about teachers and administrators on Tumbler.
That was an interesting article.

Where that differs from the OP's article is that the CA students didn't use profanity, just "mocking."

OP, I'm SURE you have a copy of what was said in your post on FB. Could you copy and paste that here, so we can see if there were any threats or slander?

tranquility

Once again, are you joking? The administration has already suspended him for his postings to public forums and you want him to post the same thing here? This is supposed to be an advice site, not a get students in more trouble site.

Let's imagine what the petty administrator who's got his panties all in a bunch would do when a student he already suspended did the exact same thing again.

If the OP wants to fight this, then go ahead an post. If the OP just is a kid who said mean things about a teacher who was mean to him (even if using high school level invective) and wants this to all go away, I recommend he let things lie.

See also:
http://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu/news/press-releases/crp-press-releases-2012/out-of-school-suspensions-in-california2019s-school-districts-reveal-hidden-crisis

I'mTheFather

That was an interesting article.

Where that differs from the OP's article is that the CA students didn't use profanity, just "mocking."

OP, I'm SURE you have a copy of what was said in your post on FB. Could you copy and paste that here, so we can see if there were any threats or slander?
I don't quite understand how the use of profanity would be so much more disruptive to the educational process than those Tumblr posts. :confused:

Humusluvr

I don't quite understand how the use of profanity would be so much more disruptive to the educational process than those Tumblr posts. :confused:
Saying STUPID stuff is different than saying SLANDEROUS or THREATENING stuff.

OP, this is where the other people on this thread are CLUELESS. I've worked in high schools, I've seen what students say on FB, and I READ your posts. You were vague about what your "friends" posted. I believe that is what got you in more trouble than your original "Mrs. Johnson is a B****."

If you can post the thread, MINUS NAMES, then *I* can tell you if you were appropriately suspended for disruptive behavior or whatever.

The rest of the posters here are not in "school mode." They are in "free speech mode."

There's a difference. That's why I asked about the exact wordings in the posts.

tranquility

If you can post the thread, MINUS NAMES, then *I* can tell you if you were appropriately suspended for disruptive behavior or whatever.

The rest of the posters here are not in "school mode." They are in "free speech mode."
Boy, the link I posted regarding the civil rights problems from school over-suspensions really is illustrated from the person who seems to want to differentiate between what the law and the constitution says and what schools think they can do.

From the Civil Rights Project at UCLA:
Most suspensions are for minor or vague infractions, such as disrespect, defiance and dress code violations, and this is clearly an unsound educational policy,” says coauthor Daniel Losen. “The numbers in our report indicate an absolute crisis in many California districts since suspending students out of school--with no guarantee of adult supervision - greatly increases the risk for dropping out and involvement in the juvenile justice system.”

The report discusses more effective responses to misbehavior than out-of-school suspensions. Studies of Texas and Indiana comparing demographically similar districts showed that those with lower suspension rates tended to have achievement and graduation numbers that were equal to or better than those with higher suspension rates.

As Losen points out, “This robust research busts the myth that you have to kick out the ‘bad kids’ so the ‘good kids’ can learn.”

Humusluvr

Boy, the link I posted regarding the civil rights problems from school over-suspensions really is illustrated from the person who seems to want to differentiate between what the law and the constitution says and what schools think they can do.

From the Civil Rights Project at UCLA:
Ohhh, the Civil Rights Project and their "words" are so tempting.

You really seem to be having a problem with the fact that the OP was rightfully suspended. If he'd post what was all written on his FB wall, I'm SURE you could see where exactly he went wrong. But, whatevs.

If I change my font, I'm sure you'll be still arguing about this being free speech, when it's obviously not. Good luck with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">