• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Ads for a Grade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maria Beck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Is it legal for a yearbook teacher to require a student to sell ads for a grade? My son is a junior and taking Yearbook this year. The teacher is requiring they sell a certain dollar amount worth of ads for a grade, which counts as 75% of his semester average. The only other grade is a participation grade worth 25 points and only counts 25% of his semester average. My son is an AP student and NHS member. These accomplishments, as well as his future, are in jeopardy because businesses did not want to spend money on an ad for a school yearbook. I feel that this practice is unfair, unethical, and should be illegal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a meeting with the principal and the teacher on Monday.

Antigone*

Is it legal for a yearbook teacher to require a student to sell ads for a grade? My son is a junior and taking Yearbook this year. The teacher is requiring they sell a certain dollar amount worth of ads for a grade, which counts as 75% of his semester average. The only other grade is a participation grade worth 25 points and only counts 25% of his semester average. My son is an AP student and NHS member. These accomplishments, as well as his future, are in jeopardy because businesses did not want to spend money on an ad for a school yearbook. I feel that this practice is unfair, unethical, and should be illegal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a meeting with the principal and the teacher on Monday.
I'm sorry but I'm not aware of any anti-ad-selling legislation or bill recently being passed.

Maria Beck

He knew about the requirement from the beginning of school. However, he did not know that he would be turned down by everyone he asked. With the economy being the way it is people don't want to spend money. If anything, there should have been a grade given for effort.

Antigone*

He knew about the requirement from the beginning of school. However, he did not know that he would be turned down by everyone he asked. With the economy being the way it is people don't want to spend money. If anything, there should have been a grade given for effort.
I tried really had in a physics exam once and got an F. Guess I should have gotten an A for effort, huh?

Sorry mom, but grades are based on results, not effort.

Maria Beck

Physics and Yearbook are two totally different classes altogether. No child should be required to SELL anything for a grade. They have no control over whether someone gives them money for an ad. A test on the other hand is different, if you studied and made an F then you didn't understand the material or you didn't study hard enough. You are comparing apples and oranges. Not to mention you might want to proofread your messages before you post them. Your spelling could use a little work.

Antigone*

Physics and Yearbook are two totally different classes altogether. No child should be required to SELL anything for a grade. They have no control over whether someone gives them money for an ad. A test on the other hand is different, if you studied and made an F then you didn't understand the material or you didn't study hard enough. You are comparing apples and oranges. Not to mention you might want to proofread your messages before you post them. Your spelling could use a little work.
Well, Mother Perfection:rolleyes:, as a volunteer here I am allowed great latitude when it comes to typos.

Look lady speak to your son's teacher and the school administrators. If they listen to you fine, it not then I could care less. At the end of the day what they are doing is not illegal.

Your son knew what he was getting into from the very beginning.

LdiJ

The yearbook is the type of publication which supports itself by selling ads. Part of learning how to publish that type of publication is selling ads to support it. Therefore not only do I believe that its ok that your son has to sell ads in order to do well in the class, I also think its basically a requirement of the course. I am sure that the same thing is done with the school newspaper.

Now, where I get a little fuzzy is on the weight the teacher is giving to the selling of the ads. 75% ad selling vs 25% everything else is pushing it. If it were the other way around, it would make more sense.

sandyclaus

What's being asked of your child is NOT illegal.

I have heard of it before, and as an explanation, the selling may well be just as important as the other work being done in the class. Do you know how many sales jobs are out there in this world? The skill of being able to successfully convince a customer to buy something is very important in the real world, and many people's own livelihoods depend on their doing very well at it. The fact that the school is making it a requirement for this particular class gives a lot of credence to the fact that this skill could be very beneficial in your child's near future, as many students' first jobs involve selling something in one way or another. If not actual sales, then the skill of persuasion is ALSO critical in many other occupations, including service jobs and even management positions. The result of being successful at sales and persuasion also results in higher self-confidence, which is NEVER a bad idea IMHO.

So your kid didn't do so well at selling. That doesn't make him being forced to practice it as part of his coursework and final grade is in anyway unethical or improper. Instead, it sounds like he needs to learn and hone the skill. If he's having troubles, tell him to speak with the teacher who is requiring that he do it, so that they can TEACH him how to be better at it.

tranquility

I agree with what the others have written. The student had knowledge of the requirement, the requirement is reasonably related to the curricula and is essential to the project for this elective class.

The only thing I might disagree with would depend on how the selling was worked on in class instruction. Did the teacher have the students make a journal, encourage reports, teach salesmanship and otherwise support the requirement? If not, then the "grade" may not accurately reflect the curricula and an argument might be found in the interstices of the education code about the mismatch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">