• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual offender on our field trip!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frylover

Young Alexander is 17 years old. Let's invite him back in 15 or so years when HIS children are in school and see if he wants a date rapist (by the way, Alexander, no means NO!) or a junkie on a field trip with them.

A

Alexander1492

I see some points...

I will be the first to note one thing, I am only 17 years old, as FryLover kindly referred to me as "Young Alexander". However, I'd be glad to divulge in great detail why I stand where I do and what credits me to such standings. First things first; What credits me to my standings? Experience. I've been through the drugs, sex, robberies and the nature (Which I've recently come to a realization about), I've been there and done that. I've been responsible for my younger friends for as long as I can remember. I've raised an impromtu little brother of mine, Capen, coming from a horrible home situation. I've seen a good friend of mine shot in the lung. However I've also seen the good, I've seen people strive past the limitations of their records and pasts, as I have done myself. I'm greatly involved with the high school I attended in their good efforts and I support great equality amongst all human beings. My age is not a discredit to my viewpoints FryLover, I acutally see it in reverse, where my age grants me the open-mind to see things differently than most, however I've been in the situations that supposedly form an "adult-mind".

Back to the subject, the problem with denying parents the "privilege" of acting as a chapperone on a trip is simple, as follws: When we ebgin doing this, with no reason other than "rather safe than sorry" we no longer have anything to be "safe" about because at that point we've lost everything sacred and good in our lives. We have nothing left to protect besides our own insanity complexes. "Controversial Date Rape Charges" refers to situations, I myself have been in. Situations where I myself have been come on to, recieved oral sex while under the influence of alcohol, never even touched the girl, and two days later I'm accused of "date-rape". Same situation happens when I am a parent, and I'm denied the RIGHT to accompany my OWN child on a school trip? That does scare me. When parents are forced to decide between not accompanying their child in the hopes that others will see to him/her, or not letting their child attend these enlightening trips, that is a situation that should not arise.

Often times we mistake paranoia/fear for care, I've seen alot, but my drama teacher never denied any chapperone whom seemed appropriate to her eyes, by meeting them and talking with them (not running background checks on them) and we never had a problem, ever.

I see your points of view, I truly do. I have many people in my life who I would never let in a situation that I was not 100% okay with, including my "impromtu brother" I spoke of earlier. Love is what fuels us, but paranoia is what tears down our loved.

Sincerly and Respectfully,

- Justin Peters

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So how many of those situations you cite (drugs, alcohol, oral sex, etc) occured during your drama field trips?

djohnson

Justin, what you don't realize is that not only have most of us been your age, experienced the same things, and felt the same things as you speak of. The difference is we have even more experience and knowledge now and look back to see who young we really were. Anyone can get past problems. Some are worth holding against someone forever. Rape is rape. I don't want them around my child. It's paranoia, it's parenthood. As parents, we have a responsibility to our children to keep the safe and protected to the best of our ability. By just being plain negligent, we aren't even trying. Come back in 10 years and say the same things as an adult.

BelizeBreeze

Justin,

There is no legal 'RIGHT' for a parent to accompany their child or anyone elses child on a school sponsored field trip. A school is free to require parents to obtain a background check and other requirements as long as they do so according to Federal Discrimination laws.

People also have a 'RIGHT' (for now anyway) to purchase a handgun. But that doesn't make it any easier to clean off the blood when you come home from the hospital after they have died and clean up the mess they have left behind.

That's a stain that never goes away.

Remember one thing as you progress to what I hope is a long and healthy life. Your 'RIGHTS' stop at my nose.

g

frylover

And Justin, your drama teacher probably would have "sized up" Ted Bundy and pronounced him a wonderful chaperone. He was by all accounts handsome, charming and charismatic. Appearances can be deceiving.

Parents do not want anyone who has committed a sexual crime of any nature, or a violent crime of any type around their kids. And in spite of all the experiences you have had, you have not (I assume) had the experience of being a parent. Once you hold your child in your arms for the first time you are going to be consumed with a feeling that is like nothing you have ever imagined. And from that moment on you would do anything to protect that child.

As long as they follow the law, as Belize described, I applaud schools that take that initiative to keep our kids safe.

A

Alexander1492

I see some more points....

Obviously I have never been a parent in a definitive mean. However, I have the extreme love and concern for three people who might as well be my children in my heart, my little cousin's Sydney and Brandon, and my "impromptu" little brother, Capen, who I have been raising (literally) for a little over six months now. I'll say again, my age is not a limitation to my reasoning capabilities.

I have the ultimate respect for your views as parents, however please understand that I am fully capable of looking bak at how young, immature and flat-out stupid I have been in the past. All peopel are capable of looking back on their past and reasoning their future decisions based on that.

I would not support the idea of sexual criminals on school field trips either, however I suppose I look at the minority effect on people. There are many people that I have had the pleasure of meeting in my life, that are labled as "criminals" and meet any roadblocks in life due to that alone. These people have learned, these people have REALLY been helped, and in a way of speaking, they have been "fixed".

Often times for the sake of "our children" we reap the rights (as I know that school's have the obvious right to due what is reasonably needed to prevent any harm done to our young ones, including those of my own age) of parents personal obligation to their own child/children. My worry about this issue is simple, If I was charged with an assault/robbery charge (which I've never been) and due to that I was denied the ability to accompany my own child on a school event, I would be greatly upset.

Stealth, none of those incidents that I cited occured during any of the literal scores of field trips my drama department took over the four years that I was there. When people are left to their own personal choices and discretions, good will prevail.

Fry, Ted Bundy was a handsome and charismatic person, I see your point. I believe that you propose a logical point of view. I suppose I see it as this, the background checks are not the issure alone, public records are public and should mantain being public. The seriosu issue is the denial process that would take place and due to most peoples paranoia (I hate to use that word again, however if fits well) many decent people would be denied.

Schools should take initiatives to prevent harm to the children they are to protect, however sometimes that is taken out of context.

Sincerly and Respectfully,

Justin Peters

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Justin - - looking beyond your poor spelling and grammar skills, I have to say that your viewpoints are quite impressive for such a young man. Congratulations!

It appears we have an up-in-coming liberal Democrat who will undoubtedly run for President.

Remember, Justin, potato doesn't have an "e" at the end.

IAAL

frylover

This has nothing to do with much of anything, I just thought I'd say it....

I have seen pictures of Ted Bundy and I don't think he was THAT good looking. I wouldn't have gone off with him! Mark Harmon, who played him in the movie was MUCH cuter! HIM I might have left with!

Justin, I can truly see your point--and no, I don't think someone who has made mistakes in the past that do not make them a danger to children should necessarily be disallowed as chaperones. Ideally, only people who had a record that would make them a danger should be prohibited. We all know we do not live in an ideal world. So what's the answer? Maybe IAAL had it on page one of this thread--don't go on field trips :rolleyes:

IAAL, are you SURE potato doesn't have an "e" at the end? :D

A

Alexander1492

HomeGuru, nice slogan :D

IAMALWAYSLIABLE, I do not think I have as poor grammar skills as you lead on, but oh well.....

Fry, "Justin, I can truly see your point" thanks

That is all, Next thread please... ;)

Respectfully,

-JP

R

responder

Are you for real? In the past week you have posted two serious problems, none of which I have encountered in my 4 years of teaching. Maybe you should find another place to work.

First-You violated FERPA by discussing this sex offender--especially if they are a parent to a child.

Second-Does Minnesota have a law in regards to background checks? In Arizona any person left alone with children must have a background check, and if they are volunteers the school must pay for it. A parent can volunteer without a background check as long as they are always in my presence and never alone with kids.

Third-How did you find out this person was a sex offender?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Fourth - why are you dredging up old posts? The OP posted back in March & then (his other thread) in April.

Responder,
You need to read the FERPA law and the case laws concerning FERPA, because your misunderstanding of FERPA is quite apparent by your posts.

As far as I know, Minnesota does not have a chaperone law.

I found out the person was a sexual offender when the school cop told me the chaperone was an offender when I was talking with the cop about our field trip. He asked who the chaperones were and when I told him he got this weird look on his face and said, "You took a sexual offender on your field trip?!?!". The sad irony of this is that the cop probably broke the law telling me that the chaperone is a sexual offender.

You have only four years of experience. I am sure if you talked with the experienced teachers in your district they would have all sorts of stories to tell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">