• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual offender on our field trip!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Minnesota

I am a sixth grade teacher. Every year we take the students on a 3-day, 2-night field trip. We take one parent chaperone for every 12 students on the trip.

We recently found out that one of the parents who went with us this year is a level two sex offender. He also had chaperoned 2 years ago with a different group of students.

What would you recommend to avoid this happening again?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

minnesotakent said:
Minnesota

I am a sixth grade teacher. Every year we take the students on a 3-day, 2-night field trip. We take one parent chaperone for every 12 students on the trip.

We recently found out that one of the parents who went with us this year is a level two sex offender. He also had chaperoned 2 years ago with a different group of students.

My response:

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with these so-called "field trips" of yours - - based upon this, and your past posts. Just give it up. Is it really worth it?

You could have the parents fill out a questionnaire, with one of the questions being, "Are you now, or have you ever been, a convicted sexual offender?"

Do you see the folly in that?

IAAL

HomeGuru

minnesotakent said:
Minnesota

**A: easy, cross this person off the school chaperone list and do not invite him to chaperone anymore.

You are right that these trips can be a lot of trouble.

The good news is that the students behaved extremely well this year.

We would like to keep doing this trip because it is a great experience for the students, but finding out that we had a sexual offender on the trip is pretty scary.

I guess I should just drop this discussion on this forum because I am not even sure what legal advice I am asking for. The cost of a complete background check would be about $80 per person, and there is no way the district will pay that.

P

Pfaffing85690

The cost of a complete background check would be about $80 per person, and there is no way the district will pay that.
O.K. then you have only one option.

First, have the prospective chaperone complete a background check authorization form allowing you to have the local and county police/sheriff's office run a complete criminal background check.

I would bet that there are some children who's parents work at one of those places. Or even who have parents on the school board.

If the school district doesn't want to pay for the background checks, then add the cost for each student to the trip cost.

Having the local police do the check shoudn't cost $80.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The liability to the school district is so staggering that it's astounding they would NOT pay for background checks. If I were in your shoes, I would refuse to organize another trip unless they did so. Because if something were to happen - you could be personally liable.

Here is an update on the situation: We currently have a police officer who spends 1/2 of his work day in our school and the rest doing other police duties. Half of his salary is paid by the school district and the other half is paid by the city.

The police chief will not allow this officer to do background checks on prospective chaperones. We are not even allowed to show a list of chaperones to the officer for him to look over and make any recommendations.

As of right now, nothing has been resolved as far as chaperone background checks. When I told my principal that I would not be attending any overnight field trips without chaperone background checks I was basically told that the trips were part of my job and that I would have to do them.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Then I suggest you address your concerns to the Superintendent and BoE. I would NOT go on any more trips that do not have chaperones adequately checked. You might also want to research and point out to the principal what legal liabilities S/HE may be facing shoudl something happen.

djohnson

I'm sorry I am not familiar with your state but I know many, including many have a sex offender registry on line you could cross with for free. I have no problem in having a basic history ran with little or no charge. I coach many of my childrens assorted teams, and many of the committee's. We have these 'volunteer's' fill out an application form listing relatives, three references and employer information and get thier consent to talk to and question these people. It's not a fool proof method by any means but chances are something might come out. Also in the application we state we may call these people and run checks to please list any offenses. Again many lie but I have had several list stuff like drugs and b&e. Even had one guy list every speeding ticket he had ever had I think lol. I know it's not full proof but it may help.

mcedronron

the key to the info you need: the web

the website listed by the prior poster should help you.

For further info, go to http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Documents/Page-3-1.html

At the most, the cost would be $8 since I would say the school is a non-profit organization. They might even provide the information to the school without any cost.

But the first thing would be to do a search of the sexual criminals from the link that was given by the poster.

The only way to be 100% positive you are not taking a criminal with you, would be to fingerprint and send off to the FBI.

But at least, with a state-wide criminal search, you are protecting yourself somewhat.

As far as being forced to go on field trips, contact your Union or School Board. And in the meantime, only agree to go as long as it is only school staff.

The school board has recently approved a policy requiring background checks on all people who chaperone overnight field trips. Hopefully, the background check will eliminate this from ever happening again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">