• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Expelled for Involvement in School Bus Shooting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

distressedmom

What is the name of your state? Oregon
Our family moved last summer from a large urban area to a small community. One month after starting school my son was involved in an incident where he and two other students were at our home and a school bus was shot at and hit with a B B gun from our property. The statements of all the boys were very inconsistent regarding the story of what happened but my son was arrested and charged with several counts of endangerment and assult which he was later cleared of. He was also expelled from school for one calendar year. Neither of the other boys were suspended or expelled for their involvement in this incident. My son has gotten tutoring for most of the year but not enough to bring him up to grade level. My question is; do I have a case against the district for not expelling all three students involved in this? I feel as if my son was singled out to take the blame. Can I also force the district to provide tutoring beyond this school year to bring him up to grade level. I have been told in cases where a gun was used whether it is real or not, the district can pretty much do anything they want to my son and I have no recourse. Is the "zero tollerance" policy being abused in this case? I am having a hard time believing I should just sit back and accept what has happened and go on with life. Shouldn't someone be held responsible for how this was handled?What is the name of your state?

rmet4nzkx

distressedmom said:
Our family moved last summer from a large urban area to a small community. One month after starting school my son was involved in an incident where he and two other students were at our home and a school bus was shot at and hit with a B B gun from our property. The statements of all the boys were very inconsistent regarding the story of what happened but my son was arrested and charged with several counts of endangerment and assult which he was later cleared of. He was also expelled from school for one calendar year. Neither of the other boys were suspended or expelled for their involvement in this incident. My son has gotten tutoring for most of the year but not enough to bring him up to grade level. My question is; do I have a case against the district for not expelling all three students involved in this? I feel as if my son was singled out to take the blame. Can I also force the district to provide tutoring beyond this school year to bring him up to grade level. I have been told in cases where a gun was used whether it is real or not, the district can pretty much do anything they want to my son and I have no recourse. Is the "zero tollerance" policy being abused in this case? I am having a hard time believing I should just sit back and accept what has happened and go on with life. Shouldn't someone be held responsible for how this was handled?What is the name of your state?
:eek: Of course someone should be held accountable, by law that person is YOU since you are the parents and the shooting occured on YOUR property and under YOUR supervision.

The only one responsible is YOU for the incident and for YOUR son's expulsion.

OF course the stories were inconsistant, they are boy's who got caught doing something very wrong, it is not the fault of the school or because you moved from an urban jungle, it is because YOU as a parent failed to properly supervise your child.

If your child is behind in school, that is YOUR responsibility, have you heard of home schooling?

If you can't get home schooling through your school district you might get it through another or you can send him to private school. Being expulled from public school doesn't prevent you from sending him to private school at your expense.

What have you done to punish him at home?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
distressedmom said:
Our family moved last summer from a large urban area to a small community.

Irrelevant!

One month after starting school my son was involved in an incident where he and two other students were at our home and a school bus was shot at and hit with a B B gun from our property.

Your property. Hmmm.. where were you?

The statements of all the boys were very inconsistent regarding the story of what happened but my son was arrested and charged with several counts of endangerment and assult which he was later cleared of. He was also expelled from school for one calendar year.

Sounds like a reasonable punishment. Your property, your responsibility, your son.

Neither of the other boys were suspended or expelled for their involvement in this incident. My son has gotten tutoring for most of the year but not enough to bring him up to grade level.

Looks like he will be spending this summer then trying to catch up. Of course when he goes back what makes you think that he will be allowed to progress a year? Make him repeat the year he sat out because he played with a gun and shot at a school bus.
My question is; do I have a case against the district for not expelling all three students involved in this?

Nope. You don't. They went with the facts. Your property, your son, bb guns.

I feel as if my son was singled out to take the blame.

It was on your property and it was your child. He was part of it at least and could easily be proven to be part of it because of the whole your property and your child aspect. Can I also force the district to provide tutoring beyond this school year to bring him up to grade level.

No. You are responsible for taking care of YOUR child. If your child had been supervised and you KNEW what your child was doing then maybe people's lives would not have been placed at risk. BB guns can severely injure or even kill people.
I have been told in cases where a gun was used whether it is real or not, the district can pretty much do anything they want to my son and I have no recourse. Is the "zero tollerance" policy being abused in this case?

No it isn't. BB guns are WEAPONS! They can injure, maim and kill. If you hit someone in the wrong place, you can cause massive injury. You and your son are lucky.

I am having a hard time believing I should just sit back and accept what has happened and go on with life. Shouldn't someone be held responsible for how this was handled?What is the name of your state?
You shouldn't accept it. YOU SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY and make sure that your dear son doesn't become a felon and decide that he can use anything he wants for target practice. Have you done anything all year besides whine about the inequitable treatment your son has received? Have you made sure he understands that he was an idiot and you weren't much better? Your son needs to take responsibility> He could have spent this entire year expelled doing everything he could to keep up. He could have worked extra hard and accomplished more. However, instead you have been finding ways to make excuses. We just moved. We are from an urban area. the other two kids weren't treated this way. Blah blah blah. Nice work.
The long and short of it -- LEGALLY you have no recourse.

Just Blue

distressedmom said:

Who's gun was it? I would bet it was your sons and that played a part in there decision!
Other parents have a right to send their children to school free from violent, bb gun carring idiots like your son!
Thak this to court and you WILL loose! But HEY! Go for it! Spend 10K on an attorney rather than get your child help for his problem...:rolleyes:

BlondiePB

Oh, brother...

distressedmom said:
:rolleyes:

weenor

distressedmom said:

As a side note- your son wasn't "cleared" of anything..the prosecutor just decided that there was not sufficient evidence to convict. Apparently the school felt differently. I wouldn't worry about his education though, because with your attitude he'll have plenty of time to catch down the road when he's in jail for another crime he didn't commit.

rmet4nzkx

Funny thing they did come back this afternoon so they saw the responses, according to their profile they are in management. Makes you wonder????

distressedmom

B]IF I DIDN_T HAVE TO SUPPORT A FAMILY WITH A FULL TIME JOB, I WOULD GLADLY HOME SCHOOL MY SON, BUT I AM NOT FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE THAT PRIVILAGE. AS FAR AS PUNISHMENT GOES, HOW DOES 2 DAYS IN DETENTION, HOUSE ARREST, 24/7 SUPERVISION, NO CONTACT WITH FRIENDS, NO CELL PHONE, NO COMPUTER ACCESS. THIS WAS THE CASE FOR FOUR MONTHS. WHETHER THIS WAS COURT IMPOSED OR NOT, THIS WAS SUFFICIENT PUNISHMENT FOR A BOY WHO IS NOT GUILTY!!!!![/B]
rmet4nzkx said:
:eek: Of course someone should be held accountable, by law that person is YOU since you are the parents and the shooting occured on YOUR property and under YOUR supervision.

The only one responsible is YOU for the incident and for YOUR son's expulsion.

OF course the stories were inconsistant, they are boy's who got caught doing something very wrong, it is not the fault of the school or because you moved from an urban jungle, it is because YOU as a parent failed to properly supervise your child.

If your child is behind in school, that is YOUR responsibility, have you heard of home schooling?

If you can't get home schooling through your school district you might get it through another or you can send him to private school. Being expulled from public school doesn't prevent you from sending him to private school at your expense.

What have you done to punish him at home?
[

Last edited:

distressedmom

FANCY JOB TITLE BUT MIDDLE CLASS PAY!!! IF I HAD A SIX FIGURE INCOME, I WOULD HAVE MY SON IN PRIVATE SCHOOL

rmet4nzkx said:
Funny thing they did come back this afternoon so they saw the responses, according to their profile they are in management. Makes you wonder????

distressedmom

:mad: YOU ARE RIGHT!! HE WASN’T CLEARED; THE CHARGES WERE DROPPED BECAUSE OUR VERY COMPETENT ATTORNEY GOT A CONFESSION FROM ONE OF THE OTHER TWO BOYS THAT MY SON DIDN’T DO THIS. THIS BOY WITNESSED THE THIRD BOY SHOOT THE SCHOOL BUS. AND GUESS WHAT??? THIS BOY IS STILL IN SCHOOL, WHILE MY SON IS SITTING HOME!!! NOW……HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREN GOING TO SCHOOL WITH THE REAL SHOOTER!!!! AND BY THE WAY, MY SON WILL NOT BE GOING TO JAIL AGAIN BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE NAILED WITH SOMETHING HE DIDN’T DO.

weenor said:
As a side note- your son wasn't "cleared" of anything..the prosecutor just decided that there was not sufficient evidence to convict. Apparently the school felt differently. I wouldn't worry about his education though, because with your attitude he'll have plenty of time to catch down the road when he's in jail for another crime he didn't commit.

distressedmom

YES YOU ARE RIGHT!! OUR CHILDREN DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO TO SCHOOL FREE FROM VIOLENCE. IF YOU READ THE OTHER RESPONSE, THE REAL SHOOTER IS STILL GOING TO SCHOOL WHILE MY SON IS SITTING AT HOME!! AND BY THE WAY, MY SON PASSED A HUNTER SAFETY COURSE JUST PRIOR TO THIS EVENT. HE WAS USING THESE bb GUNS FOR TARGET PRACTICE AND LEARING HOW TO USE THESE GUNS RESPONSIBILY. WHY DO YOU THINK MY SON WOULD ACT SO IRRESPONSIBLY???!!! SO I WOULDN’T BE CALLING HIM A BB GUN CARRYING IDIOT.:D
ALSO, MY SON DID SEE A PSYCOLOGIST AND A REPORT WAS WRITTEN STATING HE HAD NO PROBLEM AS YOU CALL IT THAT WOULD CAUSE HIM TO DO SOMETHING THIS SERIOUS!!!

baystategirl said:
Who's gun was it? I would bet it was your sons and that played a part in there decision!
Other parents have a right to send their children to school free from violent, bb gun carring idiots like your son!
Thak this to court and you WILL loose! But HEY! Go for it! Spend 10K on an attorney rather than get your child help for his problem...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">