• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Southern Justice or Just Harrasment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FuriousInMO

What is the name of your state? Missouri

We live in a very small, rural community. If your child is not a jock or in the Ag dept, they are made fun of, harrassed and/or abused. Here is a short run down of what I know so far:

As a joke, one boy signs up another boy for a chef salad in the cafeteria. The 16 y/o boy is then expelled for the rest of the year. The boy who was signed up for the salad was agreeable in taking the salad at lunch time, so there was no harm done and none of the precious lettuce wasted. I have checked the student handbook and there is no specific rule relating to signing up another student for a salad in the cafeteria. This was not destructive, was not harmful to himself or others and wasn't drug related, so how can this be a crime that is so horrific to be punishable by expulsion?

Two boys are walking down the hall, one is carrying a puzzle for a teacher. Another student hits the boy carrying the puzzle, on purpose, and scatters it everywhere. His friends then proceed to kick the pieces down the hall. The two original boys are told by the principal that they did this on purpose and he demands that they pick up every piece. They request that the other students who helped create the mess be asked to help pick up the puzzle. They are given 5 days detention for talking back to the principal. One boy then crumples up his detention notice so he is expelled for the rest of the year.

Two boys are in the cafeteria and another boy approaches and tells them he is going to kick their asses. One of the boys reports this to the principal. He tells him that he is just trying to start more trouble and that if he doesn't go to class immediately, "You will be next". I am guessing this means he will be next to be expelled.

The boy who stated he was going to kick their asses, has made verbal threats to several student. This boy's mother also comes to the school and makes threats to students. She has climbed up into the back of my son's pickup and told him that she was going to kill him. She has come to our house and made threats. (I doubt she will be back here, as I didn't react the way other parents did when she pulled this with them) The boy and his brother attacked another student and beat him to a bloody pulp. When the father of this child complained, the mother filed a complaint with the local police that he threatened her. I believe the principal does nothing to this family or these kids because he doesn't want them showing up at his house like they do at others.

The set of boys who have been expelled, or are friends with the boys who have been expelled, dress in baggy clothes, and don't conform to what the local "good families and moral majority" like to see in our young people. These boys are good kids. They are ornery and they have done their share of pranks, but they don't go around beating up and threatening people or destroying property. They are constantly being grilled by the principal and accused of being on drugs etc. Anything that happens in the school, they are openly accused by faculty. When they deny the charges, the principal tells them that he has them on video and if they continue to deny the charges, the punishment will be worse. When asked to produce the video, he never does, and the issue is dropped until the next issue comes up.

I feel that this principal has it out for a small select group of kids in the school, one of the boys being mine, and he is out to get rid of them, one by one.

I have talked to some of the teachers in the school, and there are several teachers that adore these boys, some teachers that despise them. If all the teachers had problems with these kids, I would think that the kids were definitely the problem, but to hear some of the teachers talk about how they enjoy the boys, I have a hard time believing the boys are completely at fault in this.

I have told them that from now on, when they are called to the office, to request that they be allowed to call their parents and an attorney before they are questioned. I know that they have the right to remain silent, even in the school.

Some of the boys do smoke, and are stalked by the principal constantly, trying to catch them with a cigarette. While, in the ag class, there are boys with chew, daily, including the instructor, on the school grounds, with the chew in their mouths. How can they punish one set of kids for a crime and not the others? Tobacco is tobacco no matter what form it is in.

I have alot more complaints, but this is just the start.
Does anyone feel that these kids have a case? Are their rights being tromped on? What are the odds of getting these boys back in school before they are lost completely and decide to never want to go back?

A mom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">