• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speaking Spanish in an American School Teacher's Meeting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX, for this case.

Do you think I could argue that it is discriminatory for a Principal to speak Spanish during a Teacher's inservice? The teacher in question does not speak Spanish, while all other teachers do. She is not able to receive certain directions that are necessary for her to do her job.

What do you think could be done about a situation like this? It's supposed to be a professional setting. It's hurting her job performance. And, it is often argued that teachers and prinicpals should speak English in school in order to set an example for the students who need to pass their graduation tests.

Thanks y'all :)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Do you think I could argue that it is discriminatory for a Principal to speak Spanish during a Teacher's inservice?
Kind of depends who you want to argue this with, don't you think??

The teacher in question does not speak Spanish, while all other teachers do. She is not able to receive certain directions that are necessary for her to do her job.
And did the Principal repeat it in English when your 'teacher in question' asked??

What do you think could be done about a situation like this?
Some options:
Easy: Ask "Could you repeat that in English so that I can understand?"
Hard: Purchase and learn Rosetta Stone.

It's supposed to be a professional setting.
Nothing indicates it is other than 'professional'.

It's hurting her job performance.
I would think that her inability to voice her own concerns (and have to rely on you) is far more likely to 'hurt' her job performance.

And, it is often argued that teachers and prinicpals should speak English in school in order to set an example for the students who need to pass their graduation tests.
Often 'argued' by whom??
And under what conditions??
Since this was 'in service TRAINING' (your post), I don't think that there was an 'English only' obligation.

TinkerBelleLuvr

knowing some of humur's background, this is a border town where both languages are spoken. Regardless, if this is a school on the American side, in my humble opinion, meetings should be in ENGLISH.

Now, does the teacher have a contract that she must be bi-lingual?

Humusluvr

Kind of depends who you want to argue this with, don't you think??
I would be willing to argue it to the superintendant of schools - that speaking in Spanish during school meeting is discriminatory against people who do not, and are not required by their jobs, to speak Spanish.

And did the Principal repeat it in English when your 'teacher in question' asked??
She did not interrupt his speech to 200 teachers to tell him to stop speaking Spanish. She would have to fear retribution.

Some options:
Easy: Ask "Could you repeat that in English so that I can understand?"
Hard: Purchase and learn Rosetta Stone.
I agree. She could stop his speech and demand he repeat in English. But why the heck should she have to in an American school where EVERYONE should speak English, but not EVERYONE is required to speak Spanish. It is a job requirement to speak the language of the test (the state tests are done in English only).

I, on the other hand, moved to Mexico for the summer to learn Spanish. It was quite eye-opening.

Nothing indicates it is other than 'professional'.
Purposefully excluding members of your staff who do not understand Spanish is extremely unprofessional, in my opinion.

I would think that her inability to voice her own concerns (and have to rely on you) is far more likely to 'hurt' her job performance.
I asked, because I was curious. I know about the forums, and I like posting. I also don't live where this is occurring anymore.

Often 'argued' by whom??
And under what conditions??
Since this was 'in service TRAINING' (your post), I don't think that there was an 'English only' obligation.
Google "English-only" and you'll see who it's argued by.

I would say training of all English speaking but only some Spanish speaking employees should be done in the one language that EVERYONE understands.

I saw plenty of students who I believe were harmed, and even did not graduate, because they were allowed to slide by on their Spanish first language. They should have been educated in a culture of English, which would help them pass their tests in America.

I would love to see a student sue that school for not teaching in English. Because they honestly don't, and that's BS.

And they make some of their employees uncomfortable and incapable of doing the same job as their Spanish speaking peers, which is discriminatory.

Humusluvr

Dont even get me started :rolleyes:

I vote English only in AMERICAN schools.

Period. Who can I petition for you? lol :cool:
I would say that too.

I tried for a long time to learn Spanish on my own, from a book, from the internet, from my students....

Not until I LIVED in Mexico City, where I only heard Spanish, spoke Spanish, saw it on every sign, menu, cartoon, EVERYTHING - total immersion - did I learn Spanish. I was FORCED to.

I say, let your parents speak Spanish to you at home, but the teaching professionals will teach you in English. Even if Spanish is THE TEACHERS first language too. (and that is the case) The teacher should never speak Spanish from the moment she steps in the school building (unless she's a Spanish teacher). The teacher should be the model of English speaking.

IMHO.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think what happened is totally inappropriate.

But, I wanted to comment on something. I agree that English should be the "official language" of the country. HOWEVER, as the laws stand now, we have NO "official language". As such, it is really improper to imply that somebody should be REQUIRED to speak English only. Furthermore, if she was ONE teacher out of 200, then maybe she should start learning Spanish or, at the very least, bring an interpreter.

Ok, slam away ;)

Humusluvr

As such, it is really improper to imply that somebody should be REQUIRED to speak English only.
NOBODY is required to speak English only. They may speak and love and treasure their culture and language AFTER 4 pm. Until then, since presumably everyone wants to be able to advance in America, they should become fluent in the language. Allowing the children to depend on another language during school, not the one that all the tests are in, is irresponsible.

Furthermore, if she was ONE teacher out of 200, then maybe she should start learning Spanish or, at the very least, bring an interpreter.

Ok, slam away ;)
There are probably 10 out of 200 that only speak English. I was one of them for a long time, and I can't tell you how craptastic it made me feel to be excluded intentionally. It was really hard and demoralizing at times.

ecmst12

Language is not a protected class, so it is not illegal to discriminate against people who do not speak spanish.

This teacher should speak to the principal IN PRIVATE about her request that he speak english during meetings. But if he doesn't want to, it's unlikely he can be forced to. Seems like there are enough other teachers around who can translate for her.

Banned_Princess

Seriously, wheres the petition?

Can I be a facebook fan of English only public American schools?

Should I write that non mover and shaker Obama? I been writing every week about the decriminalization if not legalization of marijuana, I might start sending 2 letters weekly to his unable to act, no change [self]. lol, cause that seems to have an effect ... ha ha.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

When I was teaching in Kindergarten (tri-lingual here), I deliberately talk the children in English and Spanish a portion of the day. I had the English only crowd learning Spanish, and reinforcing the Spanish crew with their English.

In addition, I had some high school students who helped in the classroom who were learning German. So, we ALL were learning German to boot.

I worked on teaching for all the children to embrace ALL the languages and differences. Too bad that principal is using a language to exclude some.

Personally, I would see what the ACLU might think of it. If I were that teacher, I would be taping the session to prove my point.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ecmst12 has it right. Language is NOT a protected characteristic. People who can/cannot speak Spanish are not a protected group under the law. Therefore, it does not consititute illegal discrimination.

ajkroy

Seriously, wheres the petition?

Can I be a facebook fan of English only public American schools?

Should I write that non mover and shaker Obama? I been writing every week about the decriminalization if not legalization of marijuana, I might start sending 2 letters weekly to his unable to act, no change [self]. lol, cause that seems to have an effect ... ha ha.
Seriously, he has other, more pressing issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">