• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing my college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darnizhaan

My college has shut down my program, and fired the teacher for it. I have 1 class left for the program (3 core classes) and have been trying to get a hold of someone to get answers but to no avail. They did this a a little over a month before classes started and never notified me that the program was dropped. I am almost 30k in debt with student loans and 12 credit hours from my degree to now have it go "poof" because someone dropped my program. There has been no response from either the Deans or other people from the school. I would transfer to another college but found out when I did before that none of the classes meet D.O.E. guide lines,and did not transfer over even though the school said they did (wow, who would of thought a school would lie to get more students), so that would be starting all over again which does not set well with me. Well I am wondering if its possible to sue my school for false advertising and dropping my program? As of the time I am writing this I have 2.5 weeks left before school starts with no answers.

quincy

My college has shut down my program, and fired the teacher for it. I have 1 class left for the program (3 core classes) and have been trying to get a hold of someone to get answers but to no avail. They did this a a little over a month before classes started and never notified me that the program was dropped. I am almost 30k in debt with student loans and 12 credit hours from my degree to now have it go "poof" because someone dropped my program. There has been no response from either the Deans or other people from the school. I would transfer to another college but found out when I did before that none of the classes meet D.O.E. guide lines,and did not transfer over even though the school said they did (wow, who would of thought a school would lie to get more students), so that would be starting all over again which does not set well with me. Well I am wondering if its possible to sue my school for false advertising and dropping my program? As of the time I am writing this I have 2.5 weeks left before school starts with no answers.
What is the name of your state, Darnizhaan?

Is your school one of the ITTs?

quincy

For-profit schools often have problems when student enrollments decline. Hocking Technical is no different.

When Hocking took on a new president for the college last fall, there was a revenue shortfall in the millions and this led to the dismissal of several employees of the college. When the employees are teachers, the courses they taught often must be eliminated from the course schedule.

Transferring to a 4-year university can be difficult as many universities do not recognize the credits earned at these schools.

Hocking might still be recovering from the illegal acts a few years back committed by a former president of the college and his wife (the former vice president). Bad publicity about a college will often affect student enrollment in a detrimental way which then affects the finances of the college which in turn affects the school programs being offered.

You could consult with an education lawyer in your area to see if you have any recourse over the elimination of your program. I am not seeing any current legal actions being taken against Hocking by any student, or any investigation into its operations by the state or federal government that might help you build a case, however (although, admittedly, my search was a brief one).

Good luck.

Here are two links to information you might find helpful/interesting (although not about Ohio or Hocking):
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/for-profit-college-and-student-loan-news
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/04/29/colleges-and-education-department-scramble-help-former-corinthian-students-amid

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">