• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was summoned for truancy court, do I have a good case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wannablawyer

TEXAS:

A Constable came to my house today and gave told my mom that I had a court date on the 14th of April, for missing school. I am 18, and I recently dropped out of High School. I took the test to obtain my G.E.D. this past week. The results should be posted online in within 2 weeks. I found it odd that the constable did not give my mom any paperwork regarding the case, just her business card. Now if I was to postpone my hearing untill I get my test results, would showing the judge that I have obtained a GED and currently hold a job get me off the hook?

I stopped going to school out of lazyness.

Humusluvr

TEXAS:

A Constable came to my house today and gave told my mom that I had a court date on the 14th of April, for missing school. I am 18, and I recently dropped out of High School. I took the test to obtain my G.E.D. this past week. The results should be posted online in within 2 weeks. I found it odd that the constable did not give my mom any paperwork regarding the case, just her business card. Now if I was to postpone my hearing untill I get my test results, would showing the judge that I have obtained a GED and currently hold a job get me off the hook?

If you did not process the official paperwork to drop out of school, then the school still has you on their roster and is responsible for you - hence, you are truant. The best thing you can do to prevent being fined for truancy is to process the official paperwork to withdraw. When a student "drops out of school" they have to do so officially, and that involves paperwork. So I would get it done fast, or I think the judge will fine you, and it will stick.

Wannablawyer

Thanks for your answers guys. I went to my school to withdraw today. When I had initially asked to be withdrawn she told me to wait until after the court date because she thinks that the judge will send me right back under court order. I told her that I wanted to be withdrawn right then, and she argued with me for 20 minutes about how I cannot be withdrawn, saying that I signed the handbook saying I will be there for the whole semester and that I can't withdraw until after my court. I told her to pull out the handbook and show me where it states that I cannot withdraw before my court date. There was nothing, so she goes on to pull out the law book. Before the argument she said that she was not going to let me withdraw weather I liked it or not. So I spoke to the assistant principal and asked him to show me where it states that I cannot withdraw before the court date. She then went on asking my why I didn't come do this earlier and why I am demanding to do it now. I told her that my reasons weren't relevant as to why I want to withdraw. She still refused to do it. I explained to her and the assistant principal that I am acting within my rights, and just because there was a hearing for this Friday, the hearing did not take place yet and that I am acting on my rights, and own free will. Then she proceeds to get the paperwork and throw it in my face. After signing it she took it back. I requested a copy of the paperwork which she then threw in my face. She was not very happy with me.

Cliffs

- Asked to withdraw
- Said no
- Argued
- Got my way

Silverplum

Thanks for your answers guys. I went to my school to withdraw today. When I had initially asked to be withdrawn she told me to wait until after the court date because she thinks that the judge will send me right back under court order. I told her that I wanted to be withdrawn right then, and she argued with me for 20 minutes about how I cannot be withdrawn, saying that I signed the handbook saying I will be there for the whole semester and that I can't withdraw until after my court. I told her to pull out the handbook and show me where it states that I cannot withdraw before my court date. There was nothing, so she goes on to pull out the law book. Before the argument she said that she was not going to let me withdraw weather I liked it or not. So I spoke to the assistant principal and asked him to show me where it states that I cannot withdraw before the court date. She then went on asking my why I didn't come do this earlier and why I am demanding to do it now. I told her that my reasons weren't relevant as to why I want to withdraw. She still refused to do it. I explained to her and the assistant principal that I am acting within my rights, and just because there was a hearing for this Friday, the hearing did not take place yet and that I am acting on my rights, and own free will. Then she proceeds to get the paperwork and throw it in my face. After signing it she took it back. I requested a copy of the paperwork which she then threw in my face. She was not very happy with me.

Cliffs

- Asked to withdraw
- Said no
- Argued
- Got my way
Yay!! Congratulations!! You've WON!! Now you can go out into the world with half an education!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Cliffs

- Asked to withdraw
- Said no
- Argued
- Got my way
Good for you.

antrc170

Yay!! Congratulations!! You've WON!! Now you can go out into the world with half an education!! - Silverplum

Plus we get to add another person to be supported by our tax dollars! I can't wait, I'm just so excited and proud that another member of society has learned everything there is to know by their 18th birthday! Now society can clean up their mess. Yay!!:rolleyes:

Silverplum

Yay!! Congratulations!! You've WON!! Now you can go out into the world with half an education!! - Silverplum

Plus we get to add another person to be supported by our tax dollars! I can't wait, I'm just so excited and proud that another member of society has learned everything there is to know by their 18th birthday! Now society can clean up their mess. Yay!!:rolleyes:
We oughta start drinking. Now.

Wannablawyer

Where did I even IMPLY that I think I know everything there is to know. I used the legal advice I got from this thread, and implied it. It was simply a thank you. I've noticed a lot of you guys on here are extremely arrogant. I am more than able to support myself and do not need any government assistance, so please, save your tax dollars and shove them up your you-know-where. I am not a degenerate, I have been running my own business since I was 16. I can go buy a nice car, rent an apartment, and do all of the things people my age dream to do. I'm not going to be the next guy with a degree and no job.

ecmst12

You spend your first 18-20 years wanting to be an adult then you spend the rest of your life waxing nostalgic over how great it was to be a kid.

You got your GED and you can support yourself; while I'm not sure this is the best plan to go forward with your life, I also remember how much high school sucked. And if you decide you want to get a degree later (or just discover there's some things about running a business that you could use more education on) you will be able to take college classes or get a degree since you have your GED. It doesn't sound like you're being all that dumb to me.

Except for the part in your first post where you declared you were just too lazy to keep going to school....

antrc170

I really don't beleive that you are a successful businessperson. You may have a job, but that's about it. If you were so smart as to run your own business for two years in the worst economy in decades, then you should also know that a high school graduate will earn about 23% more over a lifetime than a GED. In addition, those who dropout out of high school (regardless of their GED) are 52% more likely to end up on government assistance in their life. Owning and operating a business is hard work and your statement above certainly indicates a lack of comittment on your part to put forth even the meager effort needed to pass government schooling requirements.

Antigone*

Where did I even IMPLY that I think I know everything there is to know. I used the legal advice I got from this thread, and implied it. It was simply a thank you. I've noticed a lot of you guys on here are extremely arrogant. I am more than able to support myself and do not need any government assistance, so please, save your tax dollars and shove them up your you-know-where. I am not a degenerate, I have been running my own business since I was 16. I can go buy a nice car, rent an apartment, and do all of the things people my age dream to do. I'm not going to be the next guy with a degree and no job.

You should have used that education of yours to discern that you don't "imply" legal advice. In your case you would have "employed" the legal advice.

Oh wait, that's right... you dont' have an education:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">