• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspension, pending expulsion and loss of diploma due to marijuana use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nhossain

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I am a senior at the South Carolina Governor's School for Science and Mathematics, a residential high school. Nine of us have been accused of smoking marijuana on May 24th and May 28th due to hearsay- five of us are seniors who would have graduated on May 31st. On Thursday, May 29th, with no prior warning we were removed from whatever we were doing (some of us had been in restaurants around town) taken to a conference room supervised by a resident advisor, and the questioned individually on our marijuana use. We then gave written statements on our use. Following questioning, we were taken to a drug testing facility a urine test (refusing testing would have been equivalent to a positive test). For Friday and Saturday, we were suspended based on the testimony of an anonymous student, and were not allowed to attend graduation.

The weekend of May 24th, five of us purchased about $40 of weed; I am not sure of the exact amount (a few grams at most). We smoked some of it with a vaporizer that Saturday, and some the next Wednesday. Four of the five of us possessed marijuana following this weekend.

Tomorrow (Monday, June 2nd) we find out about the results of the drug test (which will be positive for all of us). We have "judicial hearings" Tuesday and Wednesday. For all of us, this is a first offense. Our GPA's range from a 3.7 to a 4.0, and for the seniors, our SAT scores are all in the 98th to 99th percentile. We are all in excellent academic standing. Should something about these events go on our transcripts, our admissions to colleges could be revoked and we could lose our scholarships. For the juniors involved, they will have to report this on college applications.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So, do you have a question or is this a precautionary warning to others contemplating possession and/or usage of an illegal substance?

First, you shouldn't use your real last name. You should be a lot smarter than that. Second, you are the real deal. It is too bad, but TheGeekess is right. You asked and answered your own questions. You will get through this. I hope this doesn't hurt your chances in getting or losing the National Merit scholarship.

Is your school public or private? It was tough to tell from my cursory glance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Should something about these events go on our transcripts, our admissions to colleges could be revoked and we could lose our scholarships. For the juniors involved, they will have to report this on college applications.
Yeah, well.... actions have consequences. They suck sometimes. I just hope your folks haven't shelled out too much money on your behalf for your (now likely nonexistent) topflight college career. If they have? Hopefully you're man enough to pay them back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">