• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suspension w/out grounds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robyn Pressley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga.
My 13yr old was just suspended today because 3 weeks ago a bus driver 'may' have seen him smoking in the am at the bus stop. I was not called nor was I notified in any way that this 'event' had taken place. Today a parent (anon) reported that my son and '3 other' kids were at the same bus stop smoking. My son was searched as well as his belongings, though they found nothing on him he was suspended 'pending an investigation'. I was not told about the search in my meeting this afternoon with the vice principal, my son told me later in the car on our way home. I was also made aware that the other children in question were questioned by teachers because they 'smelled funny', this however did not include my son-per the vice principal, but he is still being suspended while waiting for the board to return the vp's phone call on how to handle this matter. What recourse do we have? And do they have a right to suspend my son with no evidence of wrongdoing?

Silverplum

My 13yr old was just suspended today because 3 weeks ago a bus driver 'may' have seen him smoking in the am at the bus stop. I was not called nor was I notified in any way that this 'event' had taken place. Today a parent (anon) reported that my son and '3 other' kids were at the same bus stop smoking. My son was searched as well as his belongings, though they found nothing on him he was suspended 'pending an investigation'. I was not told about the search in my meeting this afternoon with the vice principal, my son told me later in the car on our way home. I was also made aware that the other children in question were questioned by teachers because they 'smelled funny', this however did not include my son-per the vice principal, but he is still being suspended while waiting for the board to return the vp's phone call on how to handle this matter. What recourse do we have? And do they have a right to suspend my son with no evidence of wrongdoing?
So which is it? A parent or the bus driver?

:rolleyes:

tranquility

Two separate adults at varied times have reported your son as smoking.

That is what is known as evidence.

Now, neither smoking or getting suspended is going to hurt your son if it doesn't happen any more. Give up the fight and encourage a drug-free lifestyle in your son and, maybe, address the issue about who he hangs out with.

Banned_Princess

from my understanding 3 weeks ago it was a bus driver....today was an anonymous parent
So, you are saying that on 2 separate occasions, 2 different people saw your son smoking, and you STILL think they were lying, or wrong?

is this some sort of conspiracy to suspend your child for fun?

I think you might want to question your sons honesty if 2 different adult people saw the same thing on 2 separate occasions. I don't know why they would lie, but I know why your son might.

cyjeff

Heck, toss his room for the smokes.

You will want to set the precedent about this age anyway. And yes, I did it to my eldest, too... and SHE was never seen ingesting anything more dangerous than a cheeseburger.

Humusluvr

They do have evidence - two sets of reports.

It sounds like your son needs to get you in the loop fast. If I were you, I would do as several posters here have suggested.

You might also consider a nicotine blood test - it can detect nicotine up to 30 days in the system. If I were you, I would take this seriously. His health, his attendance at school, and ultimately your wallet are going to suffer. Nip this in the bud.

xylene

Personally, I think this is part of an emergent plan to indoctrinate your children into a surveillance state / police society.

But, your kid needs to play by the rules. So do you.

Get the blood test.

If it is negative, go to the school and slam the medical report on the desk and say:

"Next time you gonna suspend my kid for smokes, you gonna have to do two things. Call ME. And find some smokes ON HIM. Dumb bus driver is supposed to be watching the road. Random parent doesn't know my kid either. Thanks a lot Mr Superintendent. Great job with family involvement."

Wouldn't that feel good?

davew128

Maybe I'm a little jaded not being a parent, but if the kid isn't on school grounds, at a school function, or on the bus, why is it any of the school's business?

And I'm a non-smoker saying this.

Humusluvr

Maybe I'm a little jaded not being a parent, but if the kid isn't on school grounds, at a school function, or on the bus, why is it any of the school's business?

13 year old smoking at the bus stop means he is bringing lighters or matches, and contraband onto school property. He might not use the lighter to torch something, but another kid could see it and decide to.

And, he's not old enough to smoke. Not even close.

OHRoadwarrior

The bus stop is considered a school related activity. All the kids would not be there at that time if it wasn't for the common purpose.

Humusluvr

The bus stop is considered a school related activity. All the kids would not be there at that time if it wasn't for the common purpose.
No, it's not. The bus stop is either the end of someone's driveway, which would be private property, or the street, which would be city property. Unless the school BUILT a bus stop specifically for it's school's children, it would NOT be school property.

But if the child is getting on the bus with contraband, as I said, THAT is where the school's interests lie.

Imagine the legal liability if the school OWNED every spot where the bus stopped.

tranquility

While my natural inclination is towards what davew128 says, I agree with OHRoadwarrior. The school has some control over the bus stop and could be liable if there is a problem they know about and don't deal with appropriately.

Because the purpose all the kids were there was because the school told them to be there so the school bus would pick them up at a certain time, there seems a legitimate school connection to the issue.

The courts seem to find for this expansion as well. The fairly recent Supreme Court decision on first amendment issues distinguishing between if the event is a school activity or not might be useful in guiding us how the courts would feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">