• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meesha75

I am in Wayne, NJ. I recently began a teaching job, but have quickly discovered the career is not for me. My contract states that I need to give 60 days notice of resignation. What are the legal ramifications of breaking my contract? What is the worse that can happen?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
meesha75 said:
I am in Wayne, NJ. I recently began a teaching job, but have quickly discovered the career is not for me. My contract states that I need to give 60 days notice of resignation. What are the legal ramifications of breaking my contract? What is the worse that can happen?
Does the contract spell out any ramifications. We dont know what the contract says.

Are you worried that the district will sue you? The contracts primarily assure that you will not take a position in one school and then start shopping for another position. Schools do not want teachers in the classroom who don't want to be there, there is already enough of those who won't leave.

meesha75

No, I don't see anything in the contract about any ramifications if I break it. It's simply a one page paper (looks like a generalized form), that spells out what they're going to pay me, at what step and how often. Towards the bottom there is a statement that both parties will provide the other of 60 days notice of resignation. (in between the two parts is just more jargon with areas to be filled in for other positions (like pay, etc for admins), which don't apply to me.

That's pretty much it. It doesn't say anything (at least on the copy I have), about any penalties for breaking contract.

I am worried that they will try to sue me or take away my certificate indefinitely. Although I do not feel teaching is for me, I would prefer to still hold my certificate even if they only take it away for a year.

I've only been at the job about 2 weeks. Admittedly the work is overwhelming, which I assume you adjust to and find your balance. I honestly don't enjoy being in front of the class and teaching. I find no joy in it and it is making me miserable & ill. I'm afraid, however, that this will not be good enough cause for them to simply let me go. Especially mid year.

Thank you for any input.

Indiana Filer

There's a lot more to your contract than just the one page you were given. Ask the teachers' union building representative or one of the officers for a copy of the complete contract.

It specifies all sorts of things, such as teacher dress code, duty-free periods, etc. Hopefully you can get a copy of this and find out if/how you can break the contract.

If nothing else, there's only a few more months in the school year!

dallas702

meesha75 said:
No, I don't see anything in the contract about any ramifications if I break it. It's simply a one page paper (looks like a generalized form), that spells out what they're going to pay me, at what step and how often. Towards the bottom there is a statement that both parties will provide the other of 60 days notice of resignation. (in between the two parts is just more jargon with areas to be filled in for other positions (like pay, etc for admins), which don't apply to me.

That's pretty much it. It doesn't say anything (at least on the copy I have), about any penalties for breaking contract.

I am worried that they will try to sue me or take away my certificate indefinitely. Although I do not feel teaching is for me, I would prefer to still hold my certificate even if they only take it away for a year.

I've only been at the job about 2 weeks. Admittedly the work is overwhelming, which I assume you adjust to and find your balance. I honestly don't enjoy being in front of the class and teaching. I find no joy in it and it is making me miserable & ill. I'm afraid, however, that this will not be good enough cause for them to simply let me go. Especially mid year.

Thank you for any input.

You went through the education classes, the student/supervised teaching, and the hiring process and NOW you realize you don't want to lead a classroom? The injustice in that is all the professionals in other fields who want to teach but don't have time to take all the b.s. methodology classes.

What is it that bothers you so much? It's always hard at first. There is a learning curve to teaching, but it gets easier as yoou learn the ropes. Are you diving into middle school/jr. hi? If so, I can feel your pain but quitting may not be the answer for you.

What other jobs have you had? What do you think you want to do now? Have you spoken with your supervisors? You don't like giving knowledge you have to a bunch of kids who don't?

Silverplum

The injustice in that is all the professionals in other fields who want to teach but don't have time to take all the b.s. methodology classes.
I'd MUCH rather have a teacher for my kid/s, or myself, or any kid/s that DID take ALL the methodology classes. :rolleyes:

You write this answer as if teaching is just something one wanders in off the street and begins to perform. I can assure you that it is NOT an easy job, and DOES require methodology.

All those rocket scientists...who didn't have time to take all the b.s. rocket science classes. :rolleyes:

All those medical doctors...who didn't have time to take all the b.s. anatomy and other med school classes. :rolleyes:

Get it, doofus? :p

lizbeth17

certification

A school district cannot take away your certification. Also, I agree with you Silverplum, the courses are not bs...however you'd be surprised how many people think they can just walk into a classroom and start teaching...It's truly not that simple!

kingsknoll

I suggest requesting a release from contract, not breaking it. Most districts do not want teachers if they don't want to be there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">