• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher discloses grade in class.(University)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EverWonder

So I go to class today. I know I didn't do the BEST job since I wasn't able to get my Calculus 3 book until like 2 weeks before the exam..bummer.

Anyway, I go up to the front to get my test, and the teacher goes for my test. She gets it, I see the grade..and I immediately feel like crap...Well, when testing.. the worst case scenario is you make the lowest grade..the cherry on top? Everybody finds out!

Well, before she gives it back to me she says "You made the lowest grade in the class. You might want to consider dropping this class. If you decide to stay in, you might need to do some thing extra" I reply "wow". Because I didn't want to make a scene out of being "the dumbest" person in the class. So I smile and go back to my seat...Feeling violated...Any actions against the school? Or I'll just have to live with that, and the fact that I'll probably never be able to get into study groups, taken seriously by my peers, etc. etc.

Silverplum

So I go to class today. I know I didn't do the BEST job since I wasn't able to get my Calculus 3 book until like 2 weeks before the exam..bummer.

Anyway, I go up to the front to get my test, and the teacher goes for my test. She gets it, I see the grade..and I immediately feel like crap...Well, when testing.. the worst case scenario is you make the lowest grade..the cherry on top? Everybody finds out!

Well, before she gives it back to me she says "You made the lowest grade in the class. You might want to consider dropping this class. If you decide to stay in, you might need to do some thing extra" I reply "wow". Because I didn't want to make a scene out of being "the dumbest" person in the class. So I smile and go back to my seat...Feeling violated...Any actions against the school? Or I'll just have to live with that, and the fact that I'll probably never be able to get into study groups, taken seriously by my peers, etc. etc.
I see you are unable to follow instructions in order to get help. I'm not surprised.

Mass_Shyster

There is no defamation action, as the statement was true.

There is no duty of confidentiality in college grades.

You can file a complaint, but it would probably just make you seem like a whiner.

If you're in Calc 3, you should already be a study group, and have earned a reputation among your peers. I don't see how getting the lowest grade on one exam will ruin your life.

EverWonder

Well this is my first year at this university from another town which is why I don't have a study group in this class yet. Actually my first math class here. Guess I did deserve it. Thanks guys.

cyjeff

Well this is my first year at this university from another town which is why I don't have a study group in this class yet. Actually my first math class here. Guess I did deserve it. Thanks guys.
One of the biggest lessons in college is that your teachers stop enhancing your self esteem... unless you earn it.

Maybe she was kicking you in the butt... maybe she was telling you to get out before you slowed down the rest of the class... maybe she doesn't want the prospect of you showing up for nightly tutoring....maybe she is just pissed that you figured you didn't need to buy a textbook until half way through the class and then are surprised at your grade.

Welcome to the big boy school.

EverWonder

One of the biggest lessons in college is that your teachers stop enhancing your self esteem... unless you earn it.

Maybe she was kicking you in the butt... maybe she was telling you to get out before you slowed down the rest of the class... maybe she doesn't want the prospect of you showing up for nightly tutoring....maybe she is just pissed that you figured you didn't need to buy a textbook until half way through the class and then are surprised at your grade.

Maybe I should've sold some dope to get it earlier. That's always a better option.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This made me spew wine all over my monitor, Jeffie.

OP - have you heard of a *library*? I'd bet your school has one - with the required texts. You had options. You just chose not to take advantage of them. Oh well - consider it a lesson learned.

Isis1

This made me spew wine all over my monitor, Jeffie.

OP - have you heard of a *library*? I'd bet your school has one - with the required texts. You had options. You just chose not to take advantage of them. Oh well - consider it a lesson learned.
I loved that option! Bought me time before my financial aid kicked in. I copied the lesson plan pages for twenty minutes, then returned the book back to the front desk. I wasn't the only student doing this.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm sure you weren't, Isis. I've told my son to use this option for books that he really did NOT need to buy. Money's tight - he can spend some time in the library.

EverWonder

Thanks for the advice. Just don't see how one's privacy being disclosed like that in front of everyone is lawfully acceptable, much less morally. But good luck to you all.

Isis1

Thanks for the advice. Just don't see how one's privacy being disclosed like that in front of everyone is lawfully acceptable, much less morally. But good luck to you all.
Because there is no law against it, that's why. Laws are restrictive, not permissive.

justalayman

you have no right to privacy concerning this issue.

Besides, somebody has to have the lowest grade in the class. This just eliminated all the guessing.

I would bet you wouldn't have a problem if she told you you had the highest grade in the class, now would you? There would be no difference other than this way you were embarrassed.

mlane58

Instead of focusing on your privacy, why not put more effort into studying and learning the material so you will pass the course and quit the "whoa is me crap".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">