• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher liabilty for stolen exam questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaguar8641

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
Nursing school instructor leaves briefcase ( with final exam questions and answers) unattended and unlocked at podium during lunch break.
Briefcase gets stolen. Department head keeps class after lecture to take attendance. The assumption by the school is that the briefcase was stolen by a student. Department head tells class that unless briefcase is returned
every student in the class will get a 'zero' for that exam.
Is that legal?
Doesn't the teacher bear responsibility for leaving ths material out of her sight?
Please help, I've paid my tuition and worked hard. A zero could lower my average to below the passing grade. I'd have to start all over again.

Thanks
Distressed nursing student

tranquility

There is not a specific statute covering this that I know of. However, the class should let the school know that if any suffer penalties for reasons outside of individual misconduct, you will consider it a breach of contract. If anyone gets federal money there, I suspect the government would love to know if the school ever carried out the threat.

My guess it was a guy talking out his ear. When he stops and thinks about it, the foolishness will stop. I'd go easy at first and just see what happens. If it looks like they are going to follow through, then you might get an attorney for a quick letter to the administration. It's not about the professor sharing the blame, it's about who is to blame. And, it's certainly (Well, probably) not the class.

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
Nursing school instructor leaves briefcase ( with final exam questions and answers) unattended and unlocked at podium during lunch break.
Briefcase gets stolen. Department head keeps class after lecture to take attendance. The assumption by the school is that the briefcase was stolen by a student. Department head tells class that unless briefcase is returned
every student in the class will get a 'zero' for that exam.
Is that legal?
Doesn't the teacher bear responsibility for leaving ths material out of her sight?
Please help, I've paid my tuition and worked hard. A zero could lower my average to below the passing grade. I'd have to start all over again.

Thanks
Distressed nursing student
I completely agree with tranquility. And I would begin calling the dean and any other higher ups from the school to report the department head's threat.

This WAS the professor's fault, and the repercussion for the professor is to create a new test. Not punish the students who have nothing to do with this. It's outrageous to suggest all the students can POSSIBLY know who did it.

I'm sorry you're going through this, and I hope the dean will fix it. Let us know, please.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is there an honor code at this school? I'd bet the school is hoping one of the students who knows something will step up to the plate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">