• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher takes all desks away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rynyellow

I live in Arizona, and go to highschool. I guess in another class students were eating and my science teacher took all the desks away and now we have to either write on the floor of the classroom or not do the assignment. Can he make us sit and write on the ground? If the state is giving money for desks and the school isn't using them will they take away funds? Some of the students in our class have a disability. If he gives them a desk does he have to give the rest of us a desk?

tranquility

I live in Arizona, and go to highschool. I guess in another class students were eating and my science teacher took all the desks away and now we have to either write on the floor of the classroom or not do the assignment. Can he make us sit and write on the ground? If the state is giving money for desks and the school isn't using them will they take away funds? Some of the students in our class have a disability. If he gives them a desk does he have to give the rest of us a desk?
While I did not look, I suspect there is no requirement of having desks in school. The disability issue is different. If a student cannot perform properly in school because of a disability related to the school rules, that is a problem.

I don't think you have standing to deal with it as YOU are not hurt in an inappropriate way.

Rynyellow

I wasn't blaming anyone, and I'm not trying to get a case. It was just a question, there's a girl in class who needs her labtop and I wanted to stick up for her if he has to give her a desk. The other part was for if students were like "if she gets one I get one"

tranquility

The other students are probably wrong. I say "probably" as there are no cases I know of that demands equal treatment of all students. But, equal protection may give some rights; depending on the facts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You aren't going to get anywhere by making a stand (no pun intended) with the science teacher. Speak with a counselor about the matter, particularly about your concerns for your fellow student.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">