• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MHaven

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am a second grade teacher and have been for over 20 years. I have never in that time had anything brought up against me. A parent has written a letter to the district with false allegations against me. Do I have a right to read that letter? (My principal has told me what the false allegations are, and she totally supports me.) We both suspect that an aid in my classroom may have been involved with encouraging this parent in her actions. What legal recourse do I have? (I do not belong to a union).

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am a second grade teacher and have been for over 20 years. I have never in that time had anything brought up against me. A parent has written a letter to the district with false allegations against me. Do I have a right to read that letter? (My principal has told me what the false allegations are, and she totally supports me.) We both suspect that an aid in my classroom may have been involved with encouraging this parent in her actions. What legal recourse do I have? (I do not belong to a union).
Is there an open investigation?

Have you been suspended or reprimanded?

If it's just uneasy feelings, the principal does not HAVE to show you the letter. If you are being reprimanded, however, you should be allowed to see any evidence held against you, with names redacted.

And really, it may have hurt your feelings, and I totally get that, but parents write emails and letters and call all the time. If that hasn't happened to you in TWENTY YEARS, you are doing something RIGHT! Shake it off, and get back to our students. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">