• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teaching Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daria26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello, all!
I have asked to be released early from my contract (required 30 days). The HR of my school said no and have informed me that if I do leave early there is a possibility that they file a formal complaint to the NJ Department of Education and it can affect my certificate. Could I get some light on this? What's the worst that can happen? Thanks!

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello, all!
I have asked to be released early from my contract (required 30 days). The HR of my school said no and have informed me that if I do leave early there is a possibility that they file a formal complaint to the NJ Department of Education and it can affect my certificate. Could I get some light on this? What's the worst that can happen? Thanks!
What is the reason you are giving them?

They could file, but unless you did something wrong, there would be little reason for you to lose your certificate if you gave the required 30 days. You could always counter file if they did file something.

Was there any accusations or wrongdoing?

daria26

Thank you! I am moving houses - up to Northern NJ - hence me asking them to release me earlier than 30 days. We have to fit into a rigid time frame, that's why I want to be released earlier. I have a perfect record with this school, no wrongdoing at all. Thanks so much!

HomeGuru

Thank you! I am moving houses - up to Northern NJ - hence me asking them to release me earlier than 30 days. We have to fit into a rigid time frame, that's why I want to be released earlier. I have a perfect record with this school, no wrongdoing at all. Thanks so much!
**A: what does it say in your contract for early termination?

Last edited:

Humusluvr

Moving is not a "certification yanking" offense from the state. You might offer to leave 30 days worth of lesson plans in your absence, until they find a replacement. I have never heard of a district filing for certification removal when the employee is responsible and proactive in helping her replacement.

Do they have the right to file? Sure. Have I EVER heard of a district filing? No. Never in my 15 years experience with public education have I heard of a district being that lame.

daria26

Thank you!
HomeGuru - all it says is that the contract can be terminated at any time with a 30n days written notice. The contract does not go into specifics what will be done if the teacher leaves earlier.
Humusluvr- thank you for your expertise, I will offer the ideas. Nj DOE website states directly that you cert could be suspended for the breach of contract...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'd love to know what school district this is (I'm also in NJ). But I also have to wonder - the school year JUST started - didn't you know you were moving before then? That is kind of a bind you're placing the school in.

ecmst12

Of course there are a lot of teachers who were laid off in NJ last summer and would LOVE to be recalled to take OP's job...

Humusluvr

Of course there are a lot of teachers who were laid off in NJ last summer and would LOVE to be recalled to take OP's job...
Exactly. There's no short supply of teachers these days. It's not like she's leaving them with no options.

And really, we don't know why she's moving, and it's not our business to question when or if she knew. It happens.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wouldn't it be easier in the long run to simply find a local hotel for a couple of weeks...?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">