• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

teaching KKK in kindergarten

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ronaele Berry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My 5 year old granddaughter came home from school all upset and scared. She had her face pressed to the car window and when asked why, told her mother that she was looking for three Ks together because she had learned in school that when there are three Ks together there are really bad white men that will kill you if you are colored. Her mother went to the school and talked to her teacher who defended teaching about the KKK to kindergartners because "its a fact". When my daughter said that it showed poor judgment in talking about this with 5 year olds, the teacher said it was the curriculum and she did the right thing. My daughter and her husband then talked with the Vice Principle and the Principle and they said they thought it was inappropriate and they would speak to the teacher. The next day the child comes home, still scared about bad white men but also embarrassed because the teacher had scolded the class about their parents who were causing trouble. She knew her mom and dad had been to the school. The parents went back to the principle and told him that the child was still upset about the KKK stuff and was additionally worried about her teacher being mad at her. The principle is still saying he'll talk to the teacher..in a placating kind of way. My daughter talked with other parents who claimed they had had similar complaints in prior years and that nothing ever happened to this teacher, that the Principle would say that he would talk to her but that they never knew that to happen or anything to change. This teacher already has a reputation of praising blacks and painting whites as bad. So....is this a legal issue? Can anything be done about something like this? What would you do next about this? I don't think my granddaughter should go back to this teacher's classroom. But what about the other 19 kids in there who are being taught inappropriate-for-their-age and biasedly presented information?

cyjeff

I would take this to the school board and/or any local/national news organization willing to listen.

Antigone*

I would take this to the school board and/or any local/national news organization willing to listen.
Jeff is right on here. If the principal didn't take appropriate action my next phone call or email would be to all the local news agencies.

I would, however, let the prinicpal know what my expectations were, and I would also be very clear about my next steps as well.

This teacher's behavior is despicable, and the principal is no better for allowing it to continue.

msiron

Bring it forward to the press asap. I am so sick of white hate I could scream. This teacher is a racist nut, and obviously promotes white hate,..... and should be fired.

CdwJava

I guarantee that teaching prejudice, history, and about the KKK is NOT part of the Kindergarten curriculum. As one who was once part of the education system and whose wife currently teaches elementary school, I can tell you that this sounds WAAAY out of line. Unless we are missing something here, this is over the top.

Should this part of history be taught? Sure. In the appropriate setting and at the appropriate time. Kindergarten is NOT the place for it ... not at all.

If it were my child, I would schedule a meeting with the teacher and the principal. If this was rebuffed or failed to achieve any results, I'd demand my child be transferred to another class.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">