• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated from class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jb310usa

My daughter was terminated from a class,without any warning from her teacher.She also is only 17. What type of lawyer do I need?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My daughter was terminated from a class,without any warning from her teacher.She also is only 17. What type of lawyer do I need?
1: US law only
2: Why do you think that any sort of notice is required?
3: Why do you think that you (or she) needs a lawyer?

Jb310usa

In the student discipline handbook the school is supposed to give a verbal or written warning non was gave. Teacher has not followed any procedure in the handbook. And she is a minor we were not informed about the termination.

Zigner

In the student discipline handbook the school is supposed to give a verbal or written warning non was gave. Teacher has not followed any procedure in the handbook. And she is a minor we were not informed about the termination.
Let's start with the first one: US Law Only. (What US state are you in?)

Proserpina

What did your daughter do, exactly?

Was it something that might be considered so severe that prior disciplinary steps are not required?

Zigner

I don't see that you have any case to force the teacher to accept her back in to the class.

Is this a public or private school? What class was it?

LdiJ

You do not need a lawyer at this point, you need a meeting with the principal and the teacher.

ajkroy

I can see this happening. If the class was an advanced class and the student was not prepared (Trigonometry comes to mind, but many more would fit the bill), the teacher cannot spend the majority of the class time answering the questions of just one student, particularly if it is remedial information. I know I am supposing here, but I am just seeing it from the teacher's point of view.

From a parent's perspective: would you really want your child back in a class where the teacher had to be forced to take your child? Neither one of them would relate to the other in a positive, meaningful way after that.

Was your child put in a similar class or one that suited her needs better?

LdiJ

I can see this happening. If the class was an advanced class and the student was not prepared (Trigonometry comes to mind, but many more would fit the bill), the teacher cannot spend the majority of the class time answering the questions of just one student, particularly if it is remedial information. I know I am supposing here, but I am just seeing it from the teacher's point of view.

From a parent's perspective: would you really want your child back in a class where the teacher had to be forced to take your child? Neither one of them would relate to the other in a positive, meaningful way after that.

Was your child put in a similar class or one that suited her needs better?
Again, meeting with the teacher and principal (or perhaps the appropriate dean and the teacher). That is the way to get to the bottom of things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">