• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ton's of leagal issues with my former college (Massachusetts)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matrixmechanics

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.
I am sorry for my English grammar, I try very hard to be clear and concise with it. But please understand that this is not the only language on the face of this planet. Thank you

I have many different legal issues, I will try to be brief with each one.
I went to Hampshire College (Amherst MA) as a transfer student. I was supposed to be able to enrol in classes at one of the five college, (Hampshire is a part of the five college colloquium) and heavily uses this as a sells tactic to sway perspective students to enrol at Hampshire. And use Hampshire's portfolio grading system to build a device based on my research done. However I was forced to take classes at Hampshire during my first transfer year there. This was due to my first advisor at the time, assuming that I was a fresh high school grad and not a College transfer student, who would have been allowed to enrol in classes at one of the five colleges. Hampshire during that year was not offering any classes that focused on my degree(s). I ended up wasting a year taking useless "classes". I was heavily influenced to take a "math" class that detailed playing with Lego’s, and crossword puzzles, then listening to the professor tell us about his personal monologue. I came to Hampshire as a physics, chemical engineering student with wanting a minor in music (at the time). This class was in no way suited to be listed as a Math class, nor should it have been slotted for a STEM student to take. I also was heavily advised to enrol in Hampshire "Engineering like" course, where the students played with marshmallows, spaghetti, and later some left over copper wire, with the final project being making something out of plastic. I petition the courses arguing that I needed to take real math courses, engineering courses and chemistry courses, that they had nothing to do with my major and should be offered to adults at a college. So that I would be able not only know what I was doing when I applied to a job in my field, but would also be able to be accepted to Grad school (without being laughed at). It was later found out that the advising office along with my advisor had giving me the wrong information incorrectly assuming my status as a non-traditional transfer student and should be been allowed to take the classes that I needed at one of the five college. This threw me back two years, since most of the courses that I needed (from the five colleges in my field) are co-curricular and are only offered in the fall, with the second half being offered in the spring. I tried to transfer out but Hampshire doesn't have a grading system or credits. It relies on evaluations and "portfolios". My evaluations were not completed from my teachers until midterms of the NEW spring sessions of the following year. Nearly a year 1/2 later I had to wait for my grades to be post from the Fall of my first year, leaving my financial aid in limbo, and I could not get my transcripts until my grades had been posted from the Fall and spring of 2013. Keeping me locked at the school for two years, at that point I tried to make the best out of my current situation.

I ended up spending three years total never taking one class that was in any of my majors. Hampshire purposely solicited to STEM students to quantify for grants and to help make the college look more "reputable" (I did not find this until years later by a staff member) . Hampshire told me that it was absolutely possible to study my major(s) there, and that they had the resources, funds, the faculty and staff and network to make it happen. None of this turned out to be the case. I actually found out that the horrible retention rate was in part due to students having to transfer and or drop out of the college because it was very hard to impossible to property study Engineering, math and sciences. Even though the college would lead students on to think otherwise, showing skewed graphs, manipulated student experiences and graduated "natural science" students (showing graduated stem students whose fields were not in the stem related majors) and reviews, graduate schools acceptance rates that did not include the STEM field. I was lead into going to Hampshire College under false pretences. Hampshire administration was also aware that the students whom they were accepting would have a hard time being able to transfer out of the college, due to the way that Hampshire runs the college.
(There was a massive resignation of administration staff after this practice blew up in the colleges face).

I had to drop my music minor due to the college never having any higher level music courses available, (which when I applied I was told was not the case and would not be a problem) I was told that there are always "plenty of music courses available". During my first year there, there were no higher level courses. Music majors and minors have to apply for a grant to hopefully receive music lessons, which lingers on for most of the semester until it is approved. Leaving the music student without a music teacher for the better half of the year. Most of the students are financially privilege and just pay for private lessons instead of waiting. Students who are not in that position are forced to drop their music major/minor there, which is what I had to do.

I had to bring a staff member to court to seek a no contact order due to his hostile attitude, misogynistic and racist comments. The college would not take action until I brought him to court. This also left me uncomfortable working around him. He bared me from taking a class that I desperately needed in order to get a job in at least entry level engineering. It was a solid works and cad class. The only one to my knowledge that the college offered (co-curricular). He lied that the class was full (he had a handful of students which all but dropped out after two weeks), which the college found out about. Without having any cad or solid works training and courses on my transcripts or for jobs skills I am not qualified for even entry level.

As stated above during my time at Hampshire I did not have access to any classes. I was forced to "make up classes/independent studies" just to keep myself busy since I was locked and couldn't transfer out. I spent three years there studying nothing in my field. My "Major(s)" are useless and are not real majors. I never built the devices that my contract states due to not getting grant funding until a month before graduation. Hampshire also bans students from taking any courses during their senior year at Hampshire. Even though I had already spent two years not having any classes to take, the college wouldn't let me take any during the final year. Quoting that I was supposed to spend that time working on my project(s). However I had no formal training, no mathematics perquisites, no physics prerequisites, nor electrical, or engineering, magnetism, nothing at all! To do any of my final projects. After I brought the staff member to court since the college wouldn't step forward, the college wanted me out and just told my advisor to "push the button and graduate me".

I have called several university's about grad school, but my transcripts show so many deficiencies, that I have been told that I would have to start all over again first getting my B.S. then going for my M.S.

To this day I have no idea what major(s), field, I actually graduated in or with.

Last edited:

ajkroy

Massachusetts has some of the best universities in the country. Why were you unable to transfer out to another school?

Dave1952

There's no way to write this without offending you but your writing is truly awful. I find it hard to believe that you would be admitted to a college yet you believe that you are a college graduate.
Now, let's start. How many "pre-Hampshire" years of college did you have and why did you transfer to Hampshire? The Physics Dept is tiny and they don't have a chemical engineering degree. The music dept isn't impressive either. So, why go there? And why did you stay?
When your first advisor began advising you as a freshman, why did you not correct this advisor? Why not tell him that you are a transfer student
How long ago did you graduate You have a limited number of years in which to sue for many things.
The 5 College Consortium does not offer degrees in Physics, Chemical Engineering, or Music. I do see some appeal in this consortium, though.
Much of your complaint, in my opinion, is that you did not read up about things and hoped that others would tell you what to do. Life's not like that.

matrixmechanics

Thank you for your response, yes writing has never been my strong suit, I have always suffered heavily with it. I have always struggled with English and am not a fan of it's grammar but I do my best. If you would like a disclaimer I have dyslexia and dysgraphia, that should explain a lot.

I went to the school because I wanted to study electromagnetism and electrogravitics, these were not available elsewhere (to my knowledge) being told that I would be able to do this and research as a undergrad is what drew me there. I was also told that it was something that would be possible to do there and that there was a physics teacher who was strong in that field and works on the side with NASA. I was also wooed with being able to go there with a awesome financial aid package which would be nearly free ( which never happened) instead I was a victim of bait and switch. And there "learn by doing program" really enticed me. Also the promised of having very small classes and one and one work was a huge plus. (All of which did not happen as well) but i was sold these fantasy possibility's from Hampshire. I was also lead to believe that with the five college consortium their small NS department would not be a problem. The appeal of the five college program is that students can study and take classes and use the resources from any of the neighbouring five colleges. A very good program for many students, since Umass has lot's of resources. Also the sales pitch of their portfolio program and being able to "build projects and devices" was a huge draw for me. Being told that I would be able to build a nice portfolio to have to show to employers and grad schools, was something that I had never heard of being available to and undergrad students or many (that I know of) colleges/university's. That is why I went to the College.

Also the five college program would allow me to get a degree in each of the following already mention. I should have been able to simply take needed courses for those degree at any of the five colleges.

Why didn't I leave? I tried to transfer out, matter a fact my first semester I tried to transfer out, when my classes for math was playing with Lego's and crossword puzzles and my "engineering class" was playing with marshmallows and spaghetti and copper wire. Hampshire has a evaluation system that teachers use instead of a grading system. The big problem with this system is that a lot of teachers drag their feet when it comes to filling them out in time. I would not get my evaluations until nearly a year 1/2 after my class had ended. This would keep my transcripts locked, I would not have anything to show for the year(s) that I was there to other colleges. It also affected my financial aid, without "grades" I was always in limbo and I was also on a few government grants. My payments would not post to the college until my "grades/evaluation" would post. This would always leave me in the locked phase for financial aid as well, meaning that Hampshire would not release any of my information until the pending balance was paid. Which wouldn't be until the mid term of the next year. I was literately trapped there.

I was not made aware that my first advisor was advising me as a freshman until nearly two years in, when I had found out that transfer students were of course fact allowed to take classes at any of the five colleges. And were not locked into having to only take classes at Hampshire for the first one/two-ish years. When I had entered the College, it was in the state of a major overhaul, in terms of faculty and staff and regulations. A lot of staff members where leaving, a lot where coming in and a lot was changing.

I graduated this pass may of 2016.

And to your last question, no I was going based on what their website stated at the time, what I was told my admissions, and teachers, the tour. It had nothing to do with "having to be lead by hand". If a company tells you one thing and gives you their packet, how are you to know that things are not what they are presenting their self's as, until after the fact?

Last edited:

matrixmechanics

It wasn't until after the fact that I found out that the college was doing everything in it's power to bring in more STEM students. This included misleading, making false promises, presenting wonderful financial aid packages and telling them that there were dedicated staff members that would work with them one and one. Making NS degrees possible. They sold it to students as being a "anything is possible here" college. This is what also lead to many admission staff, human resources, and financial aid staff resigning from their jobs. There was a melt down at the college from this toxic practice.

I forgot to answer you other question. I have A.S. in two different majors from my previous college before I transferred to Hampshire.

matrixmechanics

I can not go back and change the past, right now I am dealing with the hand that I have and am looking for legal advice please. As I have already stated, I really wanted to study a particular thing(s). It wasn't available else where. I was told that it was possible there, and giving all of the ways that I would be able to reach my goals. That turned out to not be the case, now I am trying to figure out what I can do from here on out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave1952

I'm still unsure if I understand you.
Hampshire's Physics Dept has 2 faculty, Bernstein and Wirth. Neither one seems to work in either electromagnetics or electrogravitics. Was there another faculty member when you applied? Hampshire has a web-site and it's not difficult to research this. As you probably know electrogravitics, re: Tom Brown, seems to have been disproved. Electromagnetics is accepted and could be studied many places. But even so, perhaps one of the faculty did guide your study. Who was that?
You haven't mentioned your work in Chemical Engineering.
I still have the impression that you listened to a salesman and did not investigate his/her claims.
As a transfer student You should have researched and understood your place in Hampshire's Division System. That's not your advisors job.
By the middle of your first semester at Hampshire you knew that It was the wrong place for you yet you continued on for years.That's odd.
I don't know what to make of your claims of misogyny and racism. What was decided in court?
Since you are a new grad you do have the time to seek out a lawyer and sue But I don't think you have a case.
So, do you have large bags of money? If not, some lawyers work on contingency. That means that much of their fees will be deducted from your winnings and no win, no fees. You'll need to find lawyers who specialize in education matters in Mass. and discuss your issues with them. See if they have any interest. And don't sign a contract until you understand it.

matrixmechanics

I'm still unsure if I understand you.
Hampshire's Physics Dept has 2 faculty, Bernstein and Wirth. Neither one seems to work in either electromagnetics or electrogravitics. Was there another faculty member when you applied? Hampshire has a web-site and it's not difficult to research this. As you probably know electrogravitics, re: Tom Brown, seems to have been disproved. Electromagnetics is accepted and could be studied many places. But even so, perhaps one of the faculty did guide your study. Who was that?
You haven't mentioned your work in Chemical Engineering.
I still have the impression that you listened to a salesman and did not investigate his/her claims.
As a transfer student You should have researched and understood your place in Hampshire's Division System. That's not your advisors job.
By the middle of your first semester at Hampshire you knew that It was the wrong place for you yet you continued on for years.That's odd.
I don't know what to make of your claims of misogyny and racism. What was decided in court?
Since you are a new grad you do have the time to seek out a lawyer and sue But I don't think you have a case.
So, do you have large bags of money? If not, some lawyers work on contingency. That means that much of their fees will be deducted from your winnings and no win, no fees. You'll need to find lawyers who specialize in education matters in Mass. and discuss your issues with them. See if they have any interest. And don't sign a contract until you understand it.
Thank you Dave, for taking the time to respond to me.

I worked mostly with Bernstein, this is after I was shuffled around quite a bit and going through a few advisors. No, Bernstein does not work directly within those fields, but he was the best suited to guild me. And was helpful with shifting through mundane and useful information in regards to my interest in these fields. And does work on quite a few side projects that are not listed on his website that went in par with what I am interested in. I do not have anything negative to say about him, he did he best with what resources he had there. I am still highly interested in and continuing to research electrogravitics, because for some reason I just can't let it go and like to dig future into it. The best discoveries are made by accident or by poking in places that are out of the norm or misunderstood. I am sorry I tried to figure out other ways to phrase it but I could not come up with the proper terms.

No, I knew that Chemical Engineering would be a impossibility there (before my first term was up), and even if I was able to take all of my classes at Umass. The classes always filled up before the enrollment was open to five college students. If a lab is full you are not allowed to sit in class in hopes that someone drops it. Unlike the say general elective classes.

I did look into the division and portfolio system and as stated I liked the premise of it, I liked the build projects sales motto as well. I do not think that I complained about the division system. I complained about how I was bared from being able to take any courses while there that I needed due to miscommunication between central records, advising office. There is a small machine shop, which would make building my devices and work on my projects theoretically happen. I was also shown and told during my tour that there were classes held that showed the students how to use the equipment along with full support from staff when students are working on their projects. Hampshire website also boost the same claims. But they did not say that you must be loaded in order to do so. There are grants but their aren't that many in the NS department. To disclose I did get some grants, but it wasn't until I had a month left before I graduated. And the others I was not able to apply for until my final year, which did not post until a few weeks into the spring semester of my final year. It wasn't much and barely covered some metal and shipping but heck at that point I was very upset and did not care.

I won my court case and the college was found at fault and the judge stated that they had to remedy the issue and I had a no contact order set against the staff member. He also caught a lot of heat for not letting me into a class that I desperately needed, and was ordered to assist me in anyway necessary. But by that time it was to late (the end of the semester), since I still did not know how to operate the CNC milling machine and missed his solid works course. Which I was suppose to take. He had quite a few major complains written against him.

No, I do not have bags of money. I was a token student. The right colour, background, lack of financial status, military status and gender and major interest to fit their need for "diversity". I did fall for their sales pitch, hence why I am here. From what I was told it would have been very hard for me to have known otherwise until I had enrolled and experienced it.

Most students who go there are loaded and just drop out and start over. That was not a option for me. I wish to heck it was but Hampshire would not release my transcripts, the government would not transfer my grants over until grades posted. I would have had to enroll at another college on my own dime, and would have had to start from ground zero, if I had left. I did not have the aid to start over. I was really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Right now, my suit or claims seem fall under the following.

Hostile environment and not allowed to take courses that I needed to take, racial slurs from staff members, aggressive actions. The staff member in question would literately call me names in front of other students and to other students. Would yell and scream at me and try to shame me in front of other staff members.

breach of contract claim and academic integrity

Fraud, I only enrolled from misleading statements and promises of resources that the college did not have access to.

Negligence, my personal safety was threaten several times. I had a group of students target my vehicles. They sliced all four of my tires and bashed out my windows with beer bottles and put something in my motor. I had mod mates that called public safety on me because they did not want to live with a veteran or anyone with military ties. I was called names and a student said that she felt "unsafe" and didn't want to live with a "baby murder" (because I am a veteran, they never knew that I was never even deployed, so I have no idea were these idea's came from), then complained to public safety and tried to have me kicked out of the mods. After the case, their bigotry and prejudice was outed and they ended up being the ones that were kicked out of the mods, a apology was issued to me. And I had a six bedroom mod all to myself. :) All of this just because I went to the military well over a decade 1/2 ago, I never once said anything to these students, I was always to busy and worked all of the time, and was hardly in the mod. I do not even remember her name, I barely saw her or the other students. I was only there to sleep and leave, I was the first one up early in the morning and the last one to come in. (btw I never even talked to this student) The college has a lot of problems with a strong colour divide there. The student body is filled with a large portion of "hippie extremely rich kids super social justice warrior class". This should explain their very aggressive attitudes.

I had to file a report against another student who had targeted me with racial slurs as well. That was a nightmare of a case, but at least the college did do something about that case. And I had to deal with my fair share of nonsense and public safety, just because I existed. The college was aware of the things that were going on, but made little to take care of them. Besides having let's talk about it, if you like in my office...

There were a lot of things that happened to me that I am also going to sue over. I just wanted to try to stick to the academic side of it for now.

Last edited:

Dave1952

The best I can do is suggest that you call around and try to find an education lawyer who will work on contingency. I don't think that you have a case though. You seem amazingly naive for an ex-military person. This, in my opinion, affects your credibility.
Electrogravitics is currently a field for loonies. If you want to work in it you'll first need to establish yourself in mainstream physics as a reliable researcher. Then you can branch out into loony things and prove that they work. Think tenure. Once you have tenure you can examine weird ideas. I don't see you ever getting tenure based on what you've posted here.

matrixmechanics

Thank you Dave,

But, I do not understand how my military background would have any correlation with this academic experience? There two totally different things? I am confused, it's like stating that say, if I was a PHD doctor, but knew nothing when it came to being a solider, they are naive and should have known all of the inner workings that entail being a solider and how the military works, just because they hold a PHD? The two are on different ends of the spectrum. I had no idea that the climate there would be so hostile, I could never have never predicted this. I never made my status known until someone saw a small sticker on my truck, I kept my head down and had far to many other things on my plate. No one is responsible for being attacked or targeted. I am somehow responsible for young adults going out of their way to attack me and my possession, because of their wrapped view of how they see the world and their political views?? Really this was me being naive and somehow my fault? There is no way that I can not agree with you

I could have never known that there was a staff member there that would have chips on his shoulder, and would not show me how to use the machinery or would not let me take a class due to his own personal grievances towards certain types of people. It's strange to try to blame this on me. If a corporation, let's say it's a job, or better yet a car. A dealer shows you a car you like, pops the hood everything is fine, the carfax returns clean, the guy has pretty good ratings and reviews on line and by mouth. But when you pick up the car you find out that he switched it over night with a lemon but didn't tell you. You buy it under the pretenses that it is the original car that you were shown. But a week later you find out that's not the case the car was switch. It is highly unlikely that people would be calling them naive or telling them that they are at fault. Sorry, it's the only analogy that I could think of.

I'm just so I guess taken aback at how people have approached this thread. I've fumbled through the other sections and have read some very dare I say stupid or I I rather use the term very gullible "how could you not see that coming?" situations. Or some that were so bad that I did a face palm. The tone was so different from the members and gave them a "well they were defrauded here is a plethora of information". Even for the absolutely silly gullible cases. But when it comes to the education law, (which barely has any posted threads) it's like I jumped into a pool of piranha's. It seems as though when it comes to colleges they can never do any wrong. Everyone puts them on some holy untouchable pedestal, which I truly do not understand why, their just a business at the end of the day. For profit schools are finally being forced to take responsibility for their fraudulent practices and misleading students, telling students that they have one thing to get them to enroll. Then turning around and showing that they were holding a empty hand. The same thing is true in this case, the only difference is that it is a private college. But they were and still are conducting themselves and running it like a for profit sham school. Sigh I don't know, it's just so very frustrating and upsetting to me. The whole experiences. Sigh....

Oh, also I am not interested in teaching at all, tenure is not a issue. I am looking into going into the private sector and working there. As I have already stated it is just a field that grabs my attention, I tend to research it on the side and continue to poke around in it. The loonie part does not bother me, heavier than air objects were once considered a loonie idea, remember. Along with locomotives going on 25 mph, Goddard was called moon mad gunner playing with Chinese fire crackers (if I remember correctly) because he said that rockets would one day be used to bring man to the moon and were the future of air propulsion. There was a time when linear Algebra was laughed at, if one can even image such a thing being possible. Madame Curie was heavily chastise and ridiculed for her work, physicist and chemist would laugh and say that she was insane there was no such thing and her idea's where hogwild goose chases. Science always moves through the three stages of truth, it's sad but that's how it still is. We are suppose to chase and investigate a strange quark and always have one curious eye trained on the unknown and possible. But tenure, grant chasing, ego's and job security crushed that a long time ago. Lol, I went on a little tangent there, I am sorry.

I'm not angry at you directly or even at any of the other people who were only here to muddy up the thread with silly negativity. I am just speaking outwardly right now, straight off the cuff. Thank you and anyone else for your assistants and taking the time out of your day to respond. I'm in a position right now where I have nothing to loose but sue them, and will continue onward to try to find a lawyer that will take up my case. It would be easier for me to explain and detail everything in person anyhow. I have seen that others have won suits similar to mines, I am keeping a positive out look right now.

Again thank you for your assistants. Good day.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">