• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Truant/Field Trip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fishheads

What is the name of your state? CA

On a field trip, 4 junior high students showed up who were 1. not eligible and/or 2. did not turn in the permission slips prior to the deadline. This was a ski trip and their parents simply dropped them off. The students did interact with the students who were on the field trip - riding the lifts together, skiing the same runs. What are the consequences that a public school can impose? This is especially important since the entire junior high student body was aware of these students' absences and are using this as a test. Some other information to add: 3 other students told me of their intention to 'cut' school and attend the ski trip, I talked to their parents and the students, and convinced them to attend school. Since the parents are unsupportive, what are the ed. code provisions for suspension or other disciplinary action?

Perhaps I should mention that I am a teacher and the principal said that we could do nothing. A board member (parent of one of the trip attendees) was a chaperone on the trip and he is livid. :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

fishheads

Update

When the superintendent found out about these students he assigned a 7-day, 1 hour after school detention for each student. In addition, their absences were unexcused so they did not receive credit for the work they missed and the assignments due that day were not accepted (no late work policy). However, the question remains about how does Ed code provide for consequences in this situation? We have the part on truancy but it is not clear if being absent once is truant or if you need the 3 unexcused absences before being truant. Can a district policy be more stringent than Ed code? Is there a recourse for a parent in this situation? Is there a consequence for a parent who calls in an "excused absence" (illness) and then it is found out it is "unexcused" (skiing)? Is there a consequence for the parent who drops off their child at a field trip when the child in not with the school? Does the school have an obligation at this point to monitor the child even if they are not supposed to be there?

As you can see this has opened a can of worms and everyone has different answers. You response as a non-involved party would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">