• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tuition refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qazplm88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I work full time and I decided to take a graduate course at night at local university. My employer directly paid the college for my tuition. I later dropped the course and have to pay my employer the full cost of the tuition because I did not obtain at least a B for the course. I am entitled to a partial refund since I dropped the course before a certain date. However, my employer never received this refund. When I call the school they keep delaying the matter. They tell me its own its way or that they have to wait to get the money from some other department or some other excuse. It has been a year and a half since I took the course and I still haven't received the money. What do I do at this point? Do I sue the university in small claims court? Am I even able to since I am not the original payor of the tuition? Thanks for any advice.

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I work full time and I decided to take a graduate course at night at local university. My employer directly paid the college for my tuition. I later dropped the course and have to pay my employer the full cost of the tuition because I did not obtain at least a B for the course. I am entitled to a partial refund since I dropped the course before a certain date. However, my employer never received this refund. When I call the school they keep delaying the matter. They tell me its own its way or that they have to wait to get the money from some other department or some other excuse. It has been a year and a half since I took the course and I still haven't received the money. What do I do at this point? Do I sue the university in small claims court? Am I even able to since I am not the original payor of the tuition? Thanks for any advice.
Have you paid your employer already?

qazplm88

No not yet because I keep telling my employer that they should be expecting to receive a partial refund from the university "soon". They keep telling me they never received it though. Should my employer be communicating directly with the university on my behalf? I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Should I pay my employer back first and then wait until they receive a refund and then have them give that money back to me? What if the university never issues them a refund and they're not willing to take the university to court? Would I have no legal basis to sue? I would strongly prefer to avoid any legal action with my employer because I don't want to put my job in jeopardy.

Humusluvr

No not yet because I keep telling my employer that they should be expecting to receive a partial refund from the university "soon". They keep telling me they never received it though.
You would receive the refund, because the university would send the money to the student. In cases where the parents or grandparents pay a student's tuition, the student still gets the refund.

Should my employer be communicating directly with the university on my behalf? I'm not sure what to do in this situation.
The university can't talk to your employer about your situation, because of FERPA. You are responsible for dealing with the university.

Should I pay my employer back first and then wait until they receive a refund and then have them give that money back to me?
I think you should pay your employer ASAP, because having a job in this economy is important. This is your deal to sort out.

What if the university never issues them a refund and they're not willing to take the university to court? Would I have no legal basis to sue? I would strongly prefer to avoid any legal action with my employer because I don't want to put my job in jeopardy.
Why does the university say they haven't refunded your money? It's been a year and a half, what do they say? Did you not drop by the correct date? Are you not entitled to a refund?

There is very likely something you missed about why you haven't received a refund. This is not your employers problem, though. You should pay back your employer, and go through all the channels to get a refund. This is very unlikely to end up in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">