• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcarvajal

I am a Texas resident who lives in Dallas county. During the summer months I have been taking classes at a local community college to get ahead on certain courses.This college (Brookhaven College) has been charging me out of county tuition when it turns out that I actually live in-county (i've confirmed this with the city of Dallas). They have been doing this since about 2010 and which adds up to about 16 credit hours for which they have charged me a more expensive tuition. I confronted the college to see if I could get a refund for my classes but the said that they could do nothing about it because I had taken those classes too long ago.

Can I take Brookhaven to a small claims court in order to demand a refund for the difference between out of county and in county tuition? And can I expect to win this case?

Thank you,

A broke college student who does not want to pay extra for tuition.

justalayman

how did you end up paying out of county tuition to start with? It seems odd that one would have to check with anybody really to verify what county they live within. It is typically common knowledge, especially since you would have had to put that on your application.

davew128

How does someone go that long and not notice it? I paid attention to every little detail on my tuition bills (including the student activity fees everyone got charged even if they didn't want to be a part of the activities).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">