• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to prove florida residency (born & raised) in florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alexander1Q

Hello everyone

I have the biggest problem, and I've been searching all over the internet and calling everywhere I possibly can to find a way to fix this problem. I really hope someone here can help me.

I am having A huge problem proving Florida Residency in order to get in-state tuition.

I am 28 years old and have been out of work for over a year.

I don't have a vehicle and haven't had one for over a year. So that means I don't Have a vehicles
registration.

I have never voted or ever had a voters card.

I have been living with my mom (sad I know) for the past few years. And all the utility bills are in her name.

according to florida statues Required Documentation - Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes - Miami Dade College

I have absolutely No way of proving I've been in florida the last 12 months.

I was born in florida and lived here my whole life.

The only thing I have that I know of, is and ID card.

I will not be able to afford to take classes at mdc if I have to go as a non-resident student, which would be ridiculous in the first place since I've been a florida resident since the day I was born.

The only possible solution I may have found is to be somehow declared dependent through my mom's income tax return. which she does claim me as a dependent. But I'm not sure they'll take accept that. today is saturday so I have to wait till monday to get an answer on this.

But I'm hoping someone here has some info that could help me prove my residency so that I can get in-state tuition, start college, and get my life back on track.

thanks in advance.

justalayman

so, since you did have a car, presumably you did have a Florida license. Get an abstract of your license record. It will show your status regarding your Florida drivers license as well as the history of your license record.

I did see something humorous concerning what identification is acceptable and which isn't.

Second group (may be used in conjunction with one document from the first group)

Declaration of domicile in Florida [twelve (12) months from the date the document was sworn and subscribed as noted by the Clerk of Circuit Court]
A Florida professional or occupational license
Florida incorporation
Documents evidencing family ties in Florida
Proof of membership in Florida-based charitable or professional organizations
Utility bills and proof of twelve (12) consecutive months of payments
Lease agreement and proof of twelve (12) consecutive months of payments
Official Federal, State or court documents evidencing legal ties to Florida
Unacceptable Documents (may not be used to support classification of Florida residency for tuition purposes)

Hunting/fishing licenses
Library cards
Birth Certificate
Passport
Shopping club/rental cards
they will accept proof of membership in a Florida based charitable or professional organization but they will not accept a passport.

Proserpina

so, since you did have a car, presumably you did have a Florida license. Get an abstract of your license record. It will show your status regarding your Florida drivers license as well as the history of your license record.

I did see something humorous concerning what identification is acceptable and which isn't.

they will accept proof of membership in a Florida based charitable or professional organization but they will not accept a passport.

Indeed!

I'm thinking though that Mom's tax return should help, no?

Humusluvr

Here's what I found

All students must complete a residency form with their applications. Two (2) proofs of Florida residency for over 12 months must be provided with the residency form. The most common of these documents are:

First Tier (at least one of the two documents submitted must be from this list)

Florida voter's registration card
A Florida driver's license
A State of Florida identification card
A Florida vehicle registration
Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual or by the individual's parent if the individual is a dependent child
Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida
Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (2 or more years) if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within last 12 months)
Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a consecutive 12-months period.
All documentation presented must show evidence that the claimant has lived in Florida for a period of 12 months prior to the 1st day of the term starting.

Second Tier (may be used in conjunction with one document from First Tier)

A declaration of domicile in Florida
A Florida professional or occupational license
Florida incorporation
A document evidencing family ties in Florida
Proof of membership in Florida-based charitable or professional organization
Any other documentation that supports the student's request for resident status, including, but not limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida.
It sounds like you have the ID, and you can have your mother provide a notarized document that says you were domiciled at her house for the last (however many years). You also have the family ties, and probably have some kind of bill like a cell phone or credit card.

ShyCat

Of course not. US Passports do not prove residency in any state. There's no 'current address' or 'state of residence'. The only state listed is birth state.

justalayman

Of course not. US Passports do not prove residency in any state. There's no 'current address' or 'state of residence'. The only state listed is birth state.
My error. You win.

Maybe if I needed a passport to go to and from Canada I would have known that.

ecmst12

You have a florida driver's license or state ID card right? And you have proof of your mom living in florida, right? That should cover you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">