• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical Teachers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

roadiemom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia.

Back in April, my daughter's teacher got angry and threw a science book at her. Consequently, pictures were taken of the minor injury to her arm, she was taken to the Dr. to have it medically documented , and a police report was filed. The School Resource Officer "investigated" the report and said there was no "intent" or "malice" so the charge of Simple Battery was dropped. By the way, this "Officer" is paid by the Board Of Education. After much arguing with the school system and letter writing to the state about this situation, I've come to realize that there are a whole lot of chiefs and not so many Indians. I've even submitted a complaint about the SRO to Internal Affairs. I have to now submit a complaint to the local Teacher's Ethics Committee Board. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can do to prevent this happening to another child? This individual is still teaching and nothing was done to him. We've had to place our child in Private School because of this situation. Thanks in advance for your help.

HomeGuru

roadiemom said:

Back in April, my daughter's teacher got angry and threw a science book at her. Consequently, pictures were taken of the minor injury to her arm, she was taken to the Dr. to have it medically documented , and a police report was filed. The School Resource Officer "investigated" the report and said there was no "intent" or "malice" so the charge of Simple Battery was dropped. By the way, this "Officer" is paid by the Board Of Education. After much arguing with the school system and letter writing to the state about this situation, I've come to realize that there are a whole lot of chiefs and not so many Indians. I've even submitted a complaint about the SRO to Internal Affairs. I have to now submit a complaint to the local Teacher's Ethics Committee Board. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can do to prevent this happening to another child? This individual is still teaching and nothing was done to him. We've had to place our child in Private School because of this situation. Thanks in advance for your help.
**A: you should have filed a civil lawsuit and named as Defendants the BOE, the school administrator and the teacher personally.

R

roadiemom

HomeGuru said:
**A: you should have filed a civil lawsuit and named as Defendants the BOE, the school administrator and the teacher personally.
Initially, I tried to contact at least twenty lawyers. Only one of them called me back and told me that it wouldn't be worth but $20k. I told this man I wasn't interested in the money, it was the principal and justice of the thing. He said for me to handle it myself and added this statement, "The Board of Education is Govt., no lawyer will undertake it because you don't have the money that they do." Well, considering that I'm paying for private school now, I guess he's right.

rmet4nzkx

roadiemom said:

Back in April, my daughter's teacher got angry and threw a science book at her. Consequently, pictures were taken of the minor injury to her arm, she was taken to the Dr. to have it medically documented , and a police report was filed. The School Resource Officer "investigated" the report and said there was no "intent" or "malice" so the charge of Simple Battery was dropped. By the way, this "Officer" is paid by the Board Of Education. After much arguing with the school system and letter writing to the state about this situation, I've come to realize that there are a whole lot of chiefs and not so many Indians. I've even submitted a complaint about the SRO to Internal Affairs. I have to now submit a complaint to the local Teacher's Ethics Committee Board. Does anyone hschool ave any suggestions of what else I can do to prevent this happening to another child? This individual is still teaching and nothing was done to him. We've had to place our child in Private School because of this situation. Thanks in advance for your help.
Here is a link to the teacher ethics complaint process at a state level this may be what you are doing or a higher level, it is an administrative process with appeal through the superior court so this is one way to approach it, https://www.gapsc.com/professionalpractices/Process.asp

You reported it to the city police or the school "School Resource Officer"? And they made a decision that it "was no "intent" or "malice" so the charge of Simple Battery was dropped." How does a book get thrown across a clasroom with enough force to hit a student and cause injury without "intent" or "malice". At the same time while there is no excuse for such behavior, is there some claim against your daughter claiming that she provoked the event? If the SRO is a member of the PD then IA is the route and also ask to speak to their supervisor etc. also call a personal injury attorney to persue it civilly.

R

roadiemom

You reported it to the city police or the school "School Resource Officer"? And they made a decision that it "was no "intent" or "malice" so the charge of Simple Battery was dropped."

A: I reported it to the city police dept. The Officer who took the complaint told me, "this worm will go free." I was them told that they were backlogged and it would take a while to investigate. I called the DA's office and the Asst. DA said he would get someone on it. Three days later, I got a call from a detective at the police dept. and the SRO at the high school, both said they were investigating. 30 min. after I spoke to the SRO, he called back with his decision and I haven't talked to the other detective since. Even though the SRO is paid by the BOE, he's under the police dept. as well. So that's why I submitted a written complaint with the IA officer in charge.

How does a book get thrown across a clasroom with enough force to hit a student and cause injury without "intent" or "malice". At the same time while there is no excuse for such behavior, is there some claim against your daughter claiming that she provoked the event?

A:Your question is the same as mine and thie teacher certainly didn't say, "Here... Catch!" She did nothing except raise her hand and told the teacher that 2 children didn't do something he accused them of. After the deed was done, she left the room and went to complain to the "Lead Administrator Teacher" who told my child that her teacher was justified in his actions because of how she was dressed, she reminds him of his own child, and teachers get on the edge at the end of the year. She was then allowed to check herself out of school without my permission.

By the way, thanks for the link. I already had it and the forms have been printed to turn these people in for review.

rmet4nzkx

When I was posting to you, you were responding to others that you had tried the civil route and found no attorny's willing to take your case, because it was not enough money. You must understand neither you nor they benifit if their isn't enough money and a case good enough to win, while you may want justice, they can't sue for that and you have to mitigate your damages. Perhaps IA will find some cause or perhaps the DA will look at it closer or with some finding from the ethics process you might have a better case unless the statute of limitations runs out. You might try contacting a local TV station and see if they are interested in the story, that may cause some more interest.

Clothing wise, was your daughter dresed according to the school's dress code?
How is your child doing in private school?

R

roadiemom

rmet4nzkx said:
When I was posting to you, you were responding to others that you had tried the civil route and found no attorny's willing to take your case, because it was not enough money. You must understand neither you nor they benifit if their isn't enough money and a case good enough to win, while you may want justice, they can't sue for that and you have to mitigate your damages. Perhaps IA will find some cause or perhaps the DA will look at it closer or with some finding from the ethics process you might have a better case unless the statute of limitations runs out. You might try contacting a local TV station and see if they are interested in the story, that may cause some more interest.

Clothing wise, was your daughter dresed according to the school's dress code?
How is your child doing in private school?
A: My daughter was covered and definitely in the school guidelines for her clothing. We don't buy revealing clothes for her. She loves private school. So does her brother. They are learning more academically and we probably should have done it sooner.

R

roadiemom

HomeGuru said:
Here's a good question; why did the teacher throw the book in the first place?
A: He was angry. He was "on the edge".

I was told by the school's administrator that the teacher was a bit "brash" in his handling of students.

HomeGuru

roadiemom said:
A: He was angry. He was "on the edge".

I was told by the school's administrator that the teacher was a bit "brash" in his handling of students.
**A: why was he angry? What did your daughter do to provoke such action?

R

roadiemom

HomeGuru said:
**A: why was he angry? What did your daughter do to provoke such action?
A:She did nothing except raise her hand to defend 2 children who were being accused of something. The teacher transferred his anger to her.

I personally can't justify throwing something at a child no matter if the child did something or not.

HomeGuru

roadiemom said:
A:She did nothing except raise her hand to defend 2 children who were being accused of something. The teacher transferred his anger to her.

I personally can't justify throwing something at a child no matter if the child did something or not.
**A: you are correct but I wanted all the facts.

R

roadiemom

HomeGuru said:
**A: you are correct but I wanted all the facts.
Sorry, I'm a little on edge about this situation. I promise I won't throw anything though. :D

I'm frustrated because if the shoe was on the foot, and she had been the one to throw something at the teacher, she would have been:

1. Arrested
2. Suspended
3. Sent to alternative School

Double Standards make me ill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">