• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the University Obligated to Allow Program Completion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JenniSam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I am currently a graduate student in a teaching program at a university in Michigan. 6 years ago I began my master's degree and was told I have 7 years to complete the program. I have completed half of the program and will be complete with the program if I attend full time this Fall (12 credits) and then take 6 credits this winter... or so I thought.

I recently learned that my program was cancelled and there are no available programs that will accommodate all 18 credits I have earned so far. I have great GPA and most importantly paid a lot of money for the classes. I am told I will lose 6 credits taking me well under half way there and I must still meet all credit requirement of the new program that is closest to the old program. I agree that I should meet the requirements of the new program in order to obtain a degree in that program. However, I should be compensated for the 6 additional credit hours I now lose.

The university's position is that they notified students 3 years ago that the program was being phased out and they have a little more than a year to finish the program. I never received this letter but my position is even it I had, do they not have a contractual obligation to allow those already enrolled, the full 7 years that was promised? Every document I have including an email today from the dean acknowledges the 7 year time frame but he says he wasn't the dean at the time so cannot address how students were notified.

I am interested in others thoughts on this. At about $500 per credit hour, the university's response is a hard pill to swallow.

JenniSam

1st thing. ASAP. You MUST contact your university ombudsman.
I will contact that office right now. Thank you! I have been trying read through the catalog to determine who I contact next and it seems like all roads led back to the same dean.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I am currently a graduate student in a teaching program at a university in Michigan. 6 years ago I began my master's degree and was told I have 7 years to complete the program. I have completed half of the program and will be complete with the program if I attend full time this Fall (12 credits) and then take 6 credits this winter... or so I thought.

I recently learned that my program was cancelled and there are no available programs that will accommodate all 18 credits I have earned so far. I have great GPA and most importantly paid a lot of money for the classes. I am told I will lose 6 credits taking me well under half way there and I must still meet all credit requirement of the new program that is closest to the old program. I agree that I should meet the requirements of the new program in order to obtain a degree in that program. However, I should be compensated for the 6 additional credit hours I now lose.

The university's position is that they notified students 3 years ago that the program was being phased out and they have a little more than a year to finish the program. I never received this letter but my position is even it I had, do they not have a contractual obligation to allow those already enrolled, the full 7 years that was promised? Every document I have including an email today from the dean acknowledges the 7 year time frame but he says he wasn't the dean at the time so cannot address how students were notified.

I am interested in others thoughts on this. At about $500 per credit hour, the university's response is a hard pill to swallow.
If the university notified students 3 years ago that the program was being phased out and students were told they had "a little more than a year to finish the program," that is adequate notice. I do not see how, in these last 3 years, you could not have been aware of the time constraints you were under.

As unfortunate (and as costly) as it may be, I do not see that you have any legal recourse.

(Full-time teachers in Michigan can generally complete a master's program, going part-time, within 3 years)

Last edited:

JenniSam

If the university notified students 3 years in advance that the program was being phased out and students were told they had "a little more than a year to finish the program," that is adequate notice. I do not see how, in these last 3 years, you could not have been aware of the time constraints you were under.

As unfortunate (and as costly) as it may be, I do not see that you have any legal recourse.

(Full-time teachers in Michigan can generally complete a master's program, going part-time, within 3 years)
I do not dispute that it may have been adequate for some to complete the program if that was their plan. However, when I started the program and paid for the classes the catalog specific to my start date and program stated I had 7 years to complete it. That's what I agreed to and signed up for. Why does the university get to change their mind and reduce my time frame? What if I decided I needed 10 years? I'm pretty sure they would tell me the agreed upon time frame based on my catalog is 7 years. If I am outside of the 7 years then that's my fault.

I don't think it matters why I couldn't accommodate their reduced timing although my reasons do relate to health issues. I am much better now, ready to finish up and should be able to within the 7 years that was required. It seems as if we should both be bound by the catalog, no?

xylene

I do not dispute that it may have been adequate for some to complete the program if that was their plan. However, when I started the program and paid for the classes the catalog specific to my start date and program stated I had 7 years to complete it. That's what I agreed to and signed up for. Why does the university get to change their mind and reduce my time frame? What if I decided I needed 10 years? I'm pretty sure they would tell me the agreed upon time frame based on my catalog is 7 years. If I am outside of the 7 years then that's my fault.

I don't think it matters why I couldn't accommodate their reduced timing although my reasons do relate to health issues. I am much better now, ready to finish up and should be able to within the 7 years that was required. It seems as if we should both be bound by the catalog, no?
Did you inform them university of your health issues? Were you on health leave?

I think you need to be prepared to work it out and hopefully come to some compromise arrangement on the 6 credits for the alternative program.

While credits are being valid for 7 years is pretty typical, there is really no way you were conforming to any structured degree plan, at least not that I have heard of.

quincy

I am surprised by the 7 years given to complete the program, that's all. The master's of education programs I am familiar with in Michigan only allow for 5 years to complete the course work and degree requirements.

But, sure, if you think you might have a good argument to present, the ombudsman of your university would be who you would want to see. I do not see that what was printed in your original catalog is going to be much to support your argument, though.

I am happy to hear your health is better.

single317dad

Let's assume you don't get to complete your degree. Let's also assume that the school refuses any compensation; no refund, no different courses offered, nothing.

Now let's assume you go to court and prove some kind of breach of contract on their part for failing to follow through with the promised 7-year plan. You'll be eligible for compensation due to a proven breach, so you'll have to tally your damages. Now is the time to ask yourself: how are you damaged? What have you paid for and worked for that is now of reduced value due to their decision? Would the credits transfer somewhere else? How many of your current credits will be "useless" in a new program at the current school? How much did those credits cost you? How much of that can you prove?

There's no way your recourse will be for the school to continue the program just to satisfy you and maybe a few other students. That couldn't be cost-effective for the school.

Only after you assess your provable damages can you even consider a lawsuit.

JenniSam

Did you inform them university of your health issues? Were you on health leave?

I think you need to be prepared to work it out and hopefully come to some compromise arrangement on the 6 credits for the alternative program.

While credits are being valid for 7 years is pretty typical, there is really no way you were conforming to any structured degree plan, at least not that I have heard of.
I am open to a compromise for sure. But all the university will say is "no" or "they don't know because they weren't there at the time of the cancellation".

Per your suggestion I just contacted the Ombudsman and informed him of the health issues. I was on health leave from work but did not notify the school. Since I was not enrolled at the time of my quick decline, I did not need to withdraw from any classes. I have Necrotizing Myopathy & Lupus and I lost all posterior muscle function and went through lots of PT to learn to stand, walk, etc... It took 3 years to get close to normal although I still have bi-weekly IVIG infusions.

Maybe I dropped the ball and should have notified them. I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to return but now that I see can and can still finish in the allotted time, I should be able to. What about the people who can't fit into their adjusted time frame? There was a lot going on and family took care of the essential bills and things so I guess I could have received/missed a letter but I honestly have no recollection of being notified.

JenniSam

Let's assume you don't get to complete your degree. Let's also assume that the school refuses any compensation; no refund, no different courses offered, nothing.

Now let's assume you go to court and prove some kind of breach of contract on their part for failing to follow through with the promised 7-year plan. You'll be eligible for compensation due to a proven breach, so you'll have to tally your damages. Now is the time to ask yourself: how are you damaged? What have you paid for and worked for that is now of reduced value due to their decision? Would the credits transfer somewhere else? How many of your current credits will be "useless" in a new program at the current school? How much did those credits cost you? How much of that can you prove?

There's no way your recourse will be for the school to continue the program just to satisfy you and maybe a few other students. That couldn't be cost-effective for the school.

Only after you assess your provable damages can you even consider a lawsuit.

You raised good points to consider. I lose 6 credits at around $500 per credit hour, so $3000. I would lose or have to pay an additional $3000 for two classes that fit the new program. I don't think I would have a problem proving it. I don't even want a refund. The college and keep their money, just transfer my payments to classes that will count. I am all for doing the work and earning my degree.

I agree it would be more cost effective to waive the cost of 2 classes than try to keep the old program. My earned credits are 18 but I can only use 12 towards a degree. So I essentially paid for the 2 classes for nothing.

quincy

... I was on health leave from work but did not notify the school. Since I was not enrolled at the time of my quick decline, I did not need to withdraw from any classes ... It took 3 years to get close to normal ...

... I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to return but now that I see can and can still finish in the allotted time, I should be able to. What about the people who can't fit into their adjusted time frame? There was a lot going on and family took care of the essential bills and things so I guess I could have received/missed a letter but I honestly have no recollection of being notified.
There is still much that puzzles me about what you are describing here, JenniSam.

Were you enrolled continuously (i.e., every academic year for the last six years)?

JenniSam

There is still much that puzzles me about what you are describing here, JenniSam.

Were you enrolled continuously (i.e., every academic year for the last six years)?
No, I was not enrolled continuously. I have not been enrolled since 2011.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, I was not enrolled continuously. I have not been enrolled since 2011.
So you have not been enrolled in four years and they sent out a letter THREE years ago to all current students. Of which you were not one. You are responsible for the fact that you were not aware of the program changes.

JenniSam

So you have not been enrolled in four years and they sent out a letter THREE years ago to all current students. Of which you were not one. You are responsible for the fact that you were not aware of the program changes.
Received an email from the dean a short time ago. His exact words were "Although letters were sent to each student in the program, we were unable to locate your letter in your file. I was not in this position at the time, so I cannot say with certainty what happened at that time." Seems that I am being to held to something they aren't even sure they notified me about.

Lets say somehow I was overlooked or didn't receive the letter, am I obligated to call each semester, check in? I know what I agreed to which was 7 years. Anything beyond that is my fault.

Lets say I did receive the letter but could not adjust to their new time frame? I guess what I am getting at is, the catalog spells out the guidelines and what I view is our contract. I provide money and SVSU provides the education. When they accepted payment and I took the classes, the agreement was that credits are good for 7 years and I must complete the program within that time frame. Regardless of notification, can the agreement be changed? I guess this could be in the catalog but no one from the university will answer that question or tell me where that is even addressed.

To me that is like buying a car with a 5 year loan then bank realizes they don't want to do car loans anymore and 2 years into the loan send a letter saying I have 1 year to complete repayment. Regardless of whether they notify me or not, that's not what we agreed to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just because you view the catalog as a contract does not mean it legally is one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">