• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of IEP/Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Purrington

I reside in New York State.

Since 2009 I have worked as a Captionist for a hearing impaired student.

Each year, including this year, I have captioned the same core academic classes for my student.

In 2009 and 2010 I was employed at a 75% rate of employment.

At the Student's Annual Review this past June those in attendance including both myself and the parents were led to believe by the Speech Therapist that there would be no changes in 2011.

Subsequently I learned that the Speech Therapist had actually written into the IEP that my time would be reduced from 4.5 hours to 4 hours. [Note that I have never been given access to the IEP.]

Shortly after this time reduction going into effect the mother of my student learned of this reduction and mailed a Letter of Objection to the Speech Therapist as well as to the State Department of Special Education.

Within 24 hours of the Letter of Objection being received by the Speech Therapist I was summoned to a meeting with the Speech Therapist, the head of Personnel and two other observers.

I was instructed to reduced my services by being told I was now no longer to provide an edited transcript to my student. I was no only to provide a rough draft with no editing and no spell check. The parents were not at this meeting an most assuredly would have vigorously objected.

I was also told that since I would not be doing any editing that my time would be reduced again and that I would probably loose my Health Insurance Benefits.

This suddenly happening within 24 hours of the Speech Therapist receiving a letter of objection to my first time reduction strikes me a being completely punitive in nature.

I am quite concerned about this but I do not know where I can go to find competent advice and a person who would serve as a zealous advocate on my behalf.

Any assistance this forum can provide will be greatly appreciated.

My email address is [email protected]

Thank you

I'mTheFather

Each year, including this year, I have captioned the same core academic classes for my student.

At the Student's Annual Review this past June those in attendance including both myself and the parents were led to believe by the Speech Therapist that there would be no changes in 2011.

Subsequently I learned that the Speech Therapist had actually written into the IEP that my time would be reduced from 4.5 hours to 4 hours. [Note that I have never been given access to the IEP.]

Shortly after this time reduction going into effect the mother of my student learned of this reduction and mailed a Letter of Objection to the Speech Therapist as well as to the State Department of Special Education.

Within 24 hours of the Letter of Objection being received by the Speech Therapist I was summoned to a meeting with the Speech Therapist, the head of Personnel and two other observers.

I was instructed to reduced my services by being told I was now no longer to provide an edited transcript to my student. I was no only to provide a rough draft with no editing and no spell check. The parents were not at this meeting an most assuredly would have vigorously objected.

I was also told that since I would not be doing any editing that my time would be reduced again and that I would probably loose my Health Insurance Benefits.

This suddenly happening within 24 hours of the Speech Therapist receiving a letter of objection to my first time reduction strikes me a being completely punitive in nature.

I am quite concerned about this but I do not know where I can go to find competent advice and a person who would serve as a zealous advocate on my behalf.

Thank you
If you don't have access to the IEP, and I don't know why you should, how do you know that the district is violating it?

Do you have a contract with the district?

Did you inform the parent of the reduction in hours? If so, bad move.

Humusluvr

Did you have a contract?

What did they say, and how did they say it? In a meeting? In an email?

Did you speak to the mother directly? How did she find out? Was there any justification for this reduction in time given by the Speech Therapist? Like that the child didn't NEED edited transcripts? Or was it a monetary reason? (Like, did they say they couldn't afford you?)

What justification did they give for this?

It probably is, but unless they said they couldn't afford you or didn't want the expense, there may be no recourse for you.

Thank you
There are two ways the district may be approaching this - one legal, one violating the rules of an IEP. Provide me with some more info, and we'll go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">