• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D_Moore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
CA

My child (5 years old) had a seizure at school, she has no pre existing condition for seizures, I was called and told it lasted 5-6 minutes, No EMS were called to assess here. Upon my arrival at the school she was found lying on the floor, asleep/unconscious,and I was told by the teacher that yes it was definitely a seizure. I had to take her out in a wheelchair. I took her to the hospital it was confirmed to be a seizure. When I inquired as to why EMS were not called I was told the teacher did not deem it serious enough to call, No incident report was made, and as I inquired further I was also told that no one on staff is medically qualified to diagnosis it as a seizure. Upon further research I am unable to find an emergency Safety action plan for the school or for the school district. I was referred to a few very vague policies. The teacher and principal have recanted statements they have made and do not want to address implementing an emergency and safety action plan for the school in general. I've also had a meeting with the Principal, School nurse and teacher and was told that the teacher is you and was scared and that was her reason for not calling 911. My fear is not only for my own child but all the children in this school being safe and cared for by competent individuals.

OHRoadwarrior

The teacher is not medically trained to handle such emergencies and relies on staff higher up to make the calls. The nurse/principal apparently deemed the situation was not going to change for the few minutes it took for you to get there and waited to see what you wanted to do. Discuss your concerns at the next board meeting and stop there beforehand for a copy of the school districts emergency medical policies. If you need further help, come back with that info.

I'mTheFather

Although the advice to ask for the district's policy regarding medical emergencies is sound, I would not wait until the next board meeting. This could have been a true medical emergency, and it is unconscionable that no one called EMS.

Make an appointment to speak with the district superintendent. Let him know what happened. Ask for the district's policy on what to do in a medical emergency. If you aren't satisfied, you can file a complaint with the Department of Education.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/cp/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">