• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What legal recourse can I take if my school district lost my high school transcripts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

morales21

I graduated in 1998 and recently tried to apply for college after 8 years in the military. I contacted my school district and after 2 months they said they couldn't find my records and there was nothing more for them to do. I even called the district Superintendents office and the CA State Board of Education but they weren't able to help me. The college I'm applying to requires transcripts for admission. I was going to use the post 911 GI Bill to pay for my school.

xylene

Consider talking to the college again and show them the evidence that your transcript is not available.

Also, that sounds a bit hinckey - you are like nearly 30 and a veteran. Your high school transcripts are not that big a part of things. Do you have SAT and ACT scores. Are they above the schools standards?

morales21

It's a private college (Mercy College in NY) and I have talked to the admissions counselors a few different times about my situation and they have told me that an official high school transcript is required.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP isn't saying they don't acknowledge his attendance...

OP - what does the district say their normal policy is on records retention?

TinkerBelleLuvr

OP isn't saying they don't acknowledge his attendance...

OP - what does the district say their normal policy is on records retention?
I contacted my school district and after 2 months they said they couldn't find my records and there was nothing more for them to do.
Zig - they're saying that he doesn't exist. I'm going out on a limb here - hispanic last name? Some school districts mishandle them. THAT is why I suggest checking the year book. Find himself there and let the school figure out how his name was spelled.

Zigner

Zig - they're saying that he doesn't exist. I'm going out on a limb here - hispanic last name? Some school districts mishandle them. THAT is why I suggest checking the year book. Find himself there and let the school figure out how his name was spelled.
C'mon - what they SAID (per the OP) is that they couldn't find his record. That is NOT the same as "This person does not exist" or "This person never attended our schools". It is, simply, a statement that they cannot locate the file.

morales21

Ive been told that after 4 years the high school sends them to the district records dept where they are held indefinitely. There is 1 lady that works there and she is in charge of 40 schools. I've talked to her on a few occasions and she told me that there have been other people that graduated the same year I did with an "M" last name who have also had their transcripts lost. My name shows correct in all my year books and I've never had any issues until now.

Last edited:

Zigner

It may be time for "plan B".

If your goal is to get in to this particular college that absolutely, without exception, requires your transcripts, then you will need to supply transcripts. If those transcripts are truly lost (as they appear to be), then you may need to find another college to attend.

morales21

I'm currently waiting for the CA State Board of Education legal rep to call me back, she's going to contact the district herself and see what they say. I'll post whatever info she gives me. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Any chance of having a parent who was a packrat and kept all your report cards? I'm thinking reconstruction.

Will the college you are trying to get into accept official correspondence from your old school that it is their error on the loss of information?

TinkerBelleLuvr

another thought here: when my children went into the military, the school provided a copy of their school records TO the military. Would the MILITARY have a copy of THAT transcript?

xylene

Does the army have a copy of your transcripts? How about your original recruiting office?

You need to get it writing from the district that your transcripts are gone.

You also need to speak with the military admissions office at Mercy and explain that you are a veteran.

morales21

I already searched for my old report cards but I couldn't find any. When I joined the Air Force all I needed to show them was my diploma, they didn't require my transcripts. I talked to the military admissions counselor and he told me the exact same thing about being required to have my transcripts to apply. They need to see proof of my GPA and what courses I took.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

Then go up the food chain at the school. There has to be away the problem. I could see them requiring you to take basic classes to see if you have the knowledge of math, English, etc.

Another thought is to start at a Junior College and transfer into Mercy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">