• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withholding college transcripts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

headphones_2

What is the name of your state? Il
I recently filed bankruptcy and I included tuition from one of my colleges on it. Its already been discharged and official, but now my college says that because I still have a balance so they won;t release my transcripts, ever. Is this legal? Is there anyway to get my transcripts?

HomeGuru

headphones_2 said:
What is the name of your state? Il
I recently filed bankruptcy and I included tuition from one of my colleges on it. Its already been discharged and official, but now my college says that because I still have a balance so they won;t release my transcripts, ever. Is this legal? Is there anyway to get my transcripts?
**A: why wouldn't it be legal. Did you read the college handbook. Transcripts will be withheld until all tuition and fees are paid in full. You have not paid them, correct?

H

headphones_2

Thank you for answering my question, but I don't believe it was necessary for you to be rude. It was my general understanding that I wouldn't have to pay any debts that I listed on my bankruptcy and I wouldn't have bothered listing them if my lawyer had given me the correct information. Please don't waste your time replying to this message. Have a nice day.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That wasn't rude. The college isn't required to provide services beyond what's been paid for. You didn't pay your tuition - they don't have to provide transcripts. Sorta like the person who asked if a lawyer could withdraw if the client didn't pay their bill. You don't pay, you don't get the service.

S

schooless

actually yo ucould look at it like this-i ony didnt pay for the very last year of my transcript so i should get my grades from the years that i paid in full for-oh but they cant split a transcript-well then they are actually holding something that is rightfully mine and is paid for

S

schooless

because i am also experiencing this same problem-not that it is any of your business why i choose to bring this up-did you not have ananswer so oyu had to be an ass

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

schooless said:
because i am also experiencing this same problem-not that it is any of your business why i choose to bring this up-did you not have ananswer so oyu had to be an ass

My response:

Don't worry about your transcripts. You failed English. I guess spelling and sentence structure weren't on your "Hit Parade".

IAAL

S

schooless

what is it with you people-it is like someone says something and all of you-no not all of you,but several of you-jump on them-bullies-that is what you are-why dont you have some compassion for people-it is odd to me that this website had won this and that -i think it sucks-and i think there are a chosen few who make it that way-now jump dogs jump-i dont care what you write because i am not coming back here-not that you care-it seems that people who are always putting other people down have a low self esteem-if they are putting the focus on someone else well then there isnt any on their shortcomings-as for my english,i have never failed english this is just the way i write on these forums-goodbye now and i hope yo ufew can start feeling better about yourselves so oyu can stop putting people down

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

schooless said:
what is it with you people-it is like someone says something and all of you-no not all of you,but several of you-jump on them-bullies-that is what you are-why dont you have some compassion for people-it is odd to me that this website had won this and that -i think it sucks-and i think there are a chosen few who make it that way-now jump dogs jump-i dont care what you write because i am not coming back here-not that you care-it seems that people who are always putting other people down have a low self esteem-if they are putting the focus on someone else well then there isnt any on their shortcomings-as for my english,i have never failed english this is just the way i write on these forums-goodbye now and i hope yo ufew can start feeling better about yourselves so oyu can stop putting people down

My response:

And you went to college?

Geez, I can't believe the crap they're pumping out of the school system!

IAAL

dmalone

I work in a college admissions office near Dallas, Texas. If a student has an account balance for any reason, we will, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, release a transcript. And NO, a college can not split a transcript. We get students all the time who come in and ask if they can have a transcript just for certain semesters. How ignorant can these people actually be? Yea, I want a transcript for the semesters I passed and just leave off the semesters that I failed. Wouldn't that be nice! A transcript contains ALL OF YOUR EDUCATIONAL HISTORY, no exceptions. And NO, the transcript IS NOT legally yours. It is a service provided to you by the college/university. And just like any other service, you have to fulfill all obligaions to the school. And if you read the student handbook/catalog at your school, there is a 99.99999% chance that it says that if you owe the school any money for any reason, they can hold all of your records until that debt is paid off.

On a side note, go the school and talk(nicely) to the Registrar/Dean of the school. Not the Admissions staff nor the advisors. Go to somebody in charge and talk to them. They might be able to work with you on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">